Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 2.8/28 - is it or isn't it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML 2.8/28 - is it or isn't it? Reply with quote

Recently I bought this Yashica 2.8/28 lens in mint unused condition for a very good price but am now wondering whether it is an ML version or not. As you can see in the photo the ML lettering is there but is not painted white. Can someone throw some light on what lens I have bought?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking mine ML serial#s have Axxxxx, DSB have no A before ser#

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. The markings look correct and the serial no starts with 'A'.
DSB's aperture markings are in yellow. DSB does not have 0.7 marked.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side by side. ( but I swapped them between pictures, the ML is on the left in the second picture )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is probably a CCTV version; It won't have the full aperture mechanism i.e. there will only be one tab on the back and it will only work in 'stop-down mode' on a Contax or Yashica body. I believe that there are also 35 ML's of this type. If you post a picture of the rear of the lens i'd be able to confirm this.

There was an eBay seller last year (Cavoitalia) who sold a load of these 28MLs as NOS. I bought one myself and it matched the standard ML I had exactly. The reality is that if you just want to use it on a DSLR or Mirrorless it will be fine though, obviously, it's but not ideal for use on a C/Y body.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryreid wrote:
The lens is probably a CCTV version; It won't have the full aperture mechanism i.e. there will only be one tab on the back and it will only work in 'stop-down mode' on a Contax or Yashica body. I believe that there are also 35 ML's of this type. If you post a picture of the rear of the lens i'd be able to confirm this.

There was an eBay seller last year (Cavoitalia) who sold a load of these 28MLs as NOS. I bought one myself and it matched the standard ML I had exactly. The reality is that if you just want to use it on a DSLR or Mirrorless it will be fine though, obviously, it's but not ideal for use on a C/Y body.

Rear of lens:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That confirms it, if you see the slot at about 7 o'clock on your picture there should be a sprung lever on a full spec c/y mount lens.

DigiChromeEd wrote:
barryreid wrote:

Rear of lens:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Barry, for the info. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learn something new every day.
Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this one recently as well. Can someone shed light whether this is the second version of the lens that is purported to be the poorman's distagon/kyocera copy of Zeiss?

Thanks guys - just wanted to know what the heck I bought. Interestingly it came with a UV filter as well. Did all Yashica lens come like that?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koowat wrote:
I bought this one recently as well. Can someone shed light whether this is the second version of the lens that is purported to be the poorman's distagon/kyocera copy of Zeiss?

Thanks guys - just wanted to know what the heck I bought. Interestingly it came with a UV filter as well. Did all Yashica lens come like that?

Short answer yes, but it's not. To flesh that out, if you put them side by side the yashica is more compact and and the Zeiss longer. While the ML a pretty good lens it's not quite up to Zeiss levels, the design is 7 elements in 6 groups compared to the Zeiss' 7 groups.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks barryreid Very Happy - to lay this thing to bed, besides the manual stopdown, is this a real ML second version made by Kyocera/Yashica or was it make by Cosine?

I've tried to search all over the web but have no clue why the serial number is A12089XXX - I'm not sure why its one digit longer and why the ML was faded intentionally. The 89XXX or 90XXX does seem to be in a series that follow from the seven digit serial number versions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good lens, i have 3 copies...dunno why...it happened...just. Very Happy