Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 1.7/50 (C/Y)....Ooops!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML 1.7/50 (C/Y)....Ooops! Reply with quote

Hi!

I was just bidding for fun and now I have bought a Yashica ML 1.7/50 (C/Y) for € 10,-

Well, c'est la vie!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ooops! Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hi!

I was just bidding for fun and now I have bought a Yashica ML 1.7/50 (C/Y) for € 10,-

Well, c'est la vie!

Not so bad, and quite cheap!.

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ooops! Reply with quote

katzer wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Hi!

Well, c'est la vie!

They usually go for ~20$, cannot figure out why ..

What do you mean? Is $20 too much or not enough?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are stu... this is the reason only if they need to buy an extra adapter they won't buy just for a lens. They buy for Nikon, M42 because more choices available and another possible reason. No Yashica DSLR! Pentax manual lens price was down before Pentax DSLR came out , now prices are lot higher.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LucisPictor
How much do you want to pay for a used yashica ; 100 Question
New it was 34 so 10 for a used seems logical Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's 34 Pounds in 1981, in Deutschmark, I don't know, about 100,-?
(In 1995 I had to pay DM 2,50 for 1 Pound.)
That would mean about Euro 50 in 1981. Based on the annual rate of price increase in the last 26 years we could estimate a "new" price for this lens today of about Euro 85,- (if it still was produced!).

If you now consider about 1/3 of the new price as a good price for a used lens in good condition, we come to about Euro 35,- which consequently would be an appropriate price for this lens.

Kadlubek, in his lens catalogue, estimated (in 2001) about Euro 45,- for the Yashica ML 1.7/50 in used but very good condition.

That's why I asked.

BTW, I offered € 12,- and expected it to go a little higher, but now I got it for 10,- (Euro that is!)

P.S.: Nice list, Poilu! DO you have more of those?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor I didn't know you were economist Laughing
I don't understand your mathematic but the price of the contax didn't change : 135 2.8 was 147 and I paid 140 for a mint MM.
Maybe because the contax are better Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
LucisPictor I didn't know you were economist Laughing

Laughing Well, in times like these you have to be! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think about paying 9€ for an Industar 50-2?.

I was jealous of that nice saturation....

Bought today, never know when it will come home with those so crazy postal services...

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought them from 3 -8 EUR. If this cute little one made by Leica or Nikkor price must be $$$.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Hi LucisPictor
How much do you want to pay for a used yashica ; 100 Question
New it was 34 so 10 for a used seems logical Laughing

Wow, things seem so cheap back then - then I recall how much I earned every week and it comes back into perspective Smile

@Lucis - in the early 80s I remember the DM being approx 1/3 of the UKP, so your guess isn't too far off.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value of anything on this planet, whether new or used, is what someone is prepared to pay for it.

What an interesting advert, though. The most expensive camera is the Pentax LX at ?375.00. More interesting to me though, is the chrome ME Super, going for ?119.95. I paid ?140 for a used one in 1988. The Praktica MTL3 with Pentacon 1.8/50 is only ?48.95.

As for lenses, the Flek MC 2.4/35 was ?37.95 - good used versions now sell at ?100 or more. I'm amazed my little Vivitar 2.8/28 was ?10 more than the Flek. And the Tamron SP 35-80 was over three times the price of the Flek, at ?120.79, but can now be bought for under ?50.

So, you see, it's not sensible to compare old and new prices as tastes and requirements now are so different.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another one: Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens arrived today. It took longer than usually, it seems that this seller only ships at the weekend.
Well, but the ML 1.7/50 is really in mint condition, glass is pristine, there only is a small scratch at the lens mount (the black finish is scratched) - something that does not effect the performance and this is most important.

Now I have to test the lens. We have nice weather today, perhaps I'll find the time to do this little "50mm shoot-out" I've have planned for a while during my lunch break. We'll see...

Contestants would be:

Auto Revuenon 1.4/55 (Tomioka / M42)
Auto Rikenon 1.7/50 (M42)
Canon EF 1.8/50 II (as the AF example / EOS)
Helios-44-2 2/58 (M42)
Helios-44M-6 2/58 MC (M42)
Mamiya Auto Sekor 1.8/55 (M42)
Nikkor-S.C 1.2/55 (F)
Nikkor-H 2.0/50 (F)
Pentax-M SMC 1.7/50 (PK)
Yashica Auto Yashinon 2.0/50 (M42)
Yashica ML 1.7/50 (C/Y)

Industar-50-2 3.5/50 (M42, noncompetitive, due to f3.5)

I think this would be interesting, since there are lenses in the shoot-out between € 3,- and € 130,-.
I am planning to use the lens wide open (thus between f1.2 and f2.0, in order to show if the lens is usable at the stated max. aperture), at f2.8 (as the aperture which all lenses can shoot at and to give the f2-lenses a chance of stopping down one step) and f8 (which often is the sweetspot of a lens). Shot with a fixed WB and focussed manually - of course.

I expect the biggest differences at f2.8, where some lenses are already stopped down considerable and others aren't.

Test image will be some trees that are about 15 metres away with a row of trees about 80 metres behind.

That's 11 lenses, 3 photos each (plus two shots of the Industar) which will present me 35 pictures. Oh, I need to find a way to present this online in an appropriate manner...

Perhaps resized to 800x600 in order to judge the picture as a whole and some 100% crops of the original, centre and corner. Hmmm... will be a lot of work again. Sad

What I have in mind is a comparison of two pictures each and you can change each picture with a link, thus you can compare each picture with every other one.

I still have to think a little... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the ML 1.7/50 at my EOS600:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first indoor shots are pretty impressive, really promising!
F1.7 definitely usable and at f4 really sharp. More later...

Does anybody know if this lens shares a design with the Zeiss Planar 1.7/50?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Does anybody know if this lens shares a design with the Zeiss Planar 1.7/50?

I read some time ago a comparison test somewhere that showed that the lenses are different.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's what I can remember as well.
Perhaps I can find something in my books next week. Wink

P.S.: I just checked Kablubek's. (Why didn't I think about that before?)
The Planar is a 7/6 design and the Yashica a 6/5 (lenses, groups).
The Zeiss lens is estimated at about twice the price of the Yashica ML.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shoot-out so far!

Two reasons: not enough time during lunch break and bad light, i.e. typically too high contrast at midday. That would not have been fair to any of the lenses. Sad Wink