Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica Minister III
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Yashica Minister III Reply with quote

Well I won it. Hope is ok, the announcement said "near mint" and that "works as it should" etc. It wasn't cheap. It's my first RF camera (after that Vito bad adventure).
I'll be back after it will arrive.

PS. I hope the lens is good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmin it is a great camera.
Of course hearing that from me may not sound so surprising. Like a mouse saying they like cheese Laughing

Truly though it is a nice shooter. The first thing you will want to do is take off the top and clean the inside of the rangefinder. (look how dirty mine is still)
Having the view bright and clean is a real deal maker for using these guys.
It is a bit delicate in there but not bad if you go slow and careful.
Probably also light seals need replacing.
Please drop me a note if you need advise. (or Jes or Peter... there are a few here)
Before you shoot the first roll it is good to give the camera some exercise.
You know while you are watching a DVD or reading flip thrue all the speeds and trip the shutter and rewind. Do so slowly and smoothly.

Here is a Pic of one of mine. Honestly one of my favorite looking Yashica RF's.
And yes the lens is a good one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IS a gorgeous camera, I appreciate its beauty. Cosimin, good luck with yours!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I lost bidding on one of theese recently. I don't have this, but tow similar ones - the Yashica Minister D and the Yashica EE. I just got two testrolls back, will publish soon. It seems to me that many of these Yashica Rangefinders are good. I think they handled well in the city on a sunny day...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

After I'll check its state I'll test it with a 24 exposures film, ISO 400 film (Fuji Superia) from the fridge Smile

In the meen time I think (I hope) my measuring cylinder arrived at the postal office. I'll pick it up on monday. More I need a thermometer (might borrow one) and some glasses (plastic) and of course the solutions and the film.
For the beginning I'll buy a roll of Fomapan 100 or 200 to try the development process and only after I'll search for other film (if I could find one better and cheaper - Agfa APX maybe ). But until than is still some time.

I'll keep you informed Smile

BTW I fount that here are also films for sale and this film doesn't look too bad (price/roll) : http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1879&PT_ID=450&P=Rollei-Retro-400

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely camera Cosmin. I can't wait to see how you get on with it, and see some of your developing work too!

Your camera has the same kind of selenium meter cell as my father's old camera, a Light-O-Matic III. I'm finding it over-reads the light by about 2 stops, causing under-exposure. It might be wise to check your camera's meter against another camera before you waste any film. I'm adjusting the ASA setting to 2 stops faster to compensate. I heard you can repair selenium cells but I don't know if this circular type is still available. Maybe Andy knows? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Minister III. Was the first seriuos camera that my father bought to me. In facts, was my first camera.

When I saw the camera, it remind me the goods pics and mi querido viejito.

Enjoy this solid camera, who have it!!

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all

Well, as I told you, the camera arrived three weeks ago ant my brother tested it with a roll of film. Although the camera is in great shape, clear rangefinder, even minty condition, I can not say the same for the shutter Sad It moves slower than it should and it is erratic. I don't know that is the cause, the spings inside it or the leafs of the shutter which seem pretty oily to me. From a shot to another the exposure time is not the same (when using the same shutter speed) and works better if the camera is faced up with the lens then when it's faced horizontal or downwards. Also the lightmeter seems overexposing about two steps and the lens is causing some flare but those are fixable things (for the lightmeter I fix the ISO to other values and for the flare I'll use that sun shade thing... sorry don't remeber its name).
I found an internet page with the dismatling of the camera but it's way too complex for me to do it Sad ( http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/yashicaminister.html ).
Seems that I'm not lucky with these RFs. First was the Voiglander Vitoret (for that the shutter was working perfectly but the focusing ring was very stiff and the rangefinder's spot was almost invisible), now the Yashica Minister III . Seeing now Orio's problem with the Kiev I think RFs are more sensitive machines than SLRs.
I think I'll stick to SLRs , only.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmin,
don't give up rangefinders. They are ideal for your style of photography.
My suggestion is that you save up for a Canonet. They are studily built (heavy metal!) and with excellent optics. Sometimes they go high in price but with a little patience it shouldn't be too difficult to find a "forgotten" copy that comes cheap.

my 2 (bankrupted) eurocents Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Canonet, nice cam.

Another nice cam is the yashica lynk 5000. It had a 1,4/50 lens !!

Excelent for night's street pics.

Mamiya (may be "de luxe") have a 1,4 or 1,5 lens (I think tomioka ones).

Konica (excelents lenses) had a 1,6 version of S2 .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the prices a Canonet sells especially the 17 model I think I would be tempted to spend that money on a Pentax MX ( http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/bodies/M/MX.html ) camera body Embarassed Some sort of SLR Leica, having, more or less, the same dimensions, cloth shutter, fully mechanical (well , with a lightmeter on board), a very big viewfinder and fully compatible with K Pentax lenses and M42 lenses. How silent is, I don't know but not even Leica is as silent as a leaf shutter camera would be.
BTW, the Minister's shutter is very silent regardless the selected shutter speed.
For the moment I'll buy more stuff relating to darkroom (film development, for the moment). To get more used to B&W I bought 5 rolls of Ilford XP2 which expired last month. The price was around 2.20 GBP a roll with shipping included.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmin,
look for Agfa Super Silette.
They have rangefinder and a good lens. Not as fast as Canonet or Yashica, but good, and they are sold usually for 10 or 20 Euros.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmin, I have a Canonet GIII QL17 has lens cap, strap, but rubber 3rd
party hood. I have posted pics from this cam, shutter works, but light
meter is not to be trusted. I would send it to you now, but am a little tapped
out on recent expenditures, give me a week or so. PM me your address.

I was going to place it on ebay, but really not worth the effort to get a lousy
$40, and it would be going to a very good home this way.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bill. I sent you a message.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmin, the Butkus site has the manual for this cam, or I could email you
a pdf one.