Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica Mat - Velvia and Plus-X Pan
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Yashica Mat - Velvia and Plus-X Pan Reply with quote

I was experimenting with the close-up attachment on the Yashica Mat. Difficult to overcome the parallax, and the close-up attachment is a pain in the *ss to use, but at least these came out acceptably sharp. I really didn't do anything to these, other than some slight cropping. The Velvia is an intense film, Shocked and probably a good choice for these colors.

Starfish Study
Yashica Mat
Velvia
f:16 and 1/30th

Mussels and Goosenecks
Yashica Mat
Plus-X Pan
f:8 and 1/60th (should have stopped down more - live and learn)
Scan from black & white transparency

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those starfish are amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! beautiful
amazing clear and sharp!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence, you reminded me that I FAILED to compensate for the parallax!
Shot a roll with #2 closeup diopter in the Ricohflex, good luck for any
decent comps. Mad

But your two pictures came out great!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shots, Larry!
Outstanding color from the Velvia. Both compositions are perfect, congratulations!.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the starfish photo! how about even some more contrast & saturation? :

The other photo, maybe i would have liked it more in color, i don't know. Both are great anyway. And now I know how to say "percebe" (spanish for gooseneck), in english Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!! #1 one because colors are very important to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naplam wrote:
I really like the starfish photo! how about even some more contrast & saturation? :

The other photo, maybe i would have liked it more in color, i don't know. Both are great anyway. And now I know how to say "percebe" (spanish for gooseneck), in english Laughing

I think they are called "barnacles" in engl¡sh, but I'm afraid they are not very appreciated outside Spain...

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naplam, I certainly can see that a bit more saturation looks pretty good! GREAT idea, and I'll probably work the image a little more to include some variations in saturation. THANKS for the fine example. Very Happy

Thanks to everyone for the great replies and advices.

Oh...the barnacles are actually called Gooseneck Barnacles, because when the filaments are extruded from the shells for feeding, they arch over and look just like the neck of a goose.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence, is 'gooey ducks' another name for gooesnecks? No, I just
remembered they are clams, not barnacles, if I have it right. Rather
obscene, well, suggestive clams at that! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Laurence, is 'gooey ducks' another name for gooesnecks? No, I just
remembered they are clams, not barnacles, if I have it right. Rather
obscene, well, suggestive clams at that! Laughing

Yeah, the Geoducks (don't know how they got "gooey ducks" out of the spelling, but that's the way it is) look pretty darn scary to women, I'm betting! Laughing

The Geoducks are all over the place out on the tidal flats at the mouth of the Skokomish River and the Hamma Hamma River, as well as along some of the less rocky shores of Hood Canal. They are, of course, delicious. Luckily for us, those mud flats and tidal flats are pristine, with NO pollutants, so the Geoducks are still exremely prolific and safe to eat.

Unfortunately, human greed has intervened once more. Up on the north end of Hood Canal, the "diggers" got permission to harvest the Geoducks using a huge blower. So they basicall shove the blower tube under the sand and blow up huge fountains of sand, with the Geoducks being picked out of the pile after all that sand lands. And naturally (duh) all sorts of organisms including many types of invertebrates get killed in the process. Additionally, the ecosystem gets totally trashed, and the very nutrients and biological relationships that provide for habitat in the FIRST place for the Geoducks gets ruined. But "it's okay" because there is big money to be made, and to HELL with the future of the Geoducks and other organisms. It's absolutely shameful that the State of Washington Fisheries allowed this, simply because the permits bring in a lot of money to the agency. There are lawsuits pending, and I hope that this practice stops soon. It's simply reprehensible. Mad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELENT, Larry!!!!

The first, well colors are wanderfull.

The second, great artistic B&W pics, with something of Weston study.

More in that way, nice, very nice to see.

Thanks Larry.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
EXCELENT, Larry!!!!
The first, well colors are wanderfull.
The second, great artistic B&W pics, with something of Weston study.
More in that way, nice, very nice to see.
Thanks Larry.
Rino.

Wow, thank you Rino. The first image was a "no brainer", just point and shoot. The starfish (Sea Stars) are so colorful in the first place, and the Velvia brings those colors to the forefront. Even the deep purple is just like in "real life".

Rino, I actually have been reading a photographic book about Weston! In a way, I felt that the lines on the mollusks, such as the ridges on the mussels, showed a sort of "Weston-like" characteristic.

In any case, I appreciate you looking and commenting.