Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica Auto Yashikor 2.8/35 performs well in gloomy light
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Yashica Auto Yashikor 2.8/35 performs well in gloomy light Reply with quote

A nice contrasty performer, sharp enough even if not the sharpest. What is more important, it gives a certain live feeling to the rendered picture. On Sony Nex mainly at f4 in a gloomy day light, constrast is boosted for this reason.

Close up

Mid range

Further on

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Can't say i like the bokeh though. I guess better performance in gloomy light would be valid for all early lenses. Especially those with exposed large front glass surface.
Is this lens Sigma made: https://lens-db.com/yashica-auto-yashikor-35mm-f28/ ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty much the same. I did not know it was made by Sigma, I read somewhere about Tokina origin.

Pancolart wrote:
I guess better performance in gloomy light would be valid for all early lenses.

That's an interesting point. I think that some older lenses show less contrast in similar light conditions. This is to check.

The bokeh is in some way not static, it leaves a breathing feeling. I am a bit divided too, but cannot say I dislike it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not a lens for a modern 'landscape', I see it more as an 'art' lens, very ' analogue'.

Give it a try for a portrait/headshot with a busy background like those trees, pic 1 and 2.

I would also try it in B/W mode, with low and high contrast too - with a hoodie.

anyway, .. it has more soul than latest ML 35 2.8

but is it a yashica or a tokina? I suspect that lens came from early '70 era (electro's series). Was Tokina already active back then?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, it's a pretty moody lens with some "tasty" features.

I have some BW images, made with a simple desaturation and some others passed through NIK.

NIK processed

Simple desaturation with following exposure and contrast tweaks.

Need to dig deeper as for the original maker.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I don't dislike the bokeh but you would have to be careful in its use it as it could distract from some types of images. Reminds me of some helios lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super contrasty and quite a big lens for a 35mm/2.8. Bokeh on 35mm is often quite busy. Best 35 for bokeh I have is the Auto-Takumar 35/2.3
. This may beat the SMC Pentax 35mm 1:3.5 for contrast.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Reminds me of some helios lenses.

True! It could be closer to some moderately younger Helioses, such as 44M, even though no swirl detected.

D1N0 wrote:
Best 35 for bokeh I have is the Auto-Takumar 35/2.3.

Is it a Flektogon based design? I did not find your post presenting the lens. There are some samples in Pentax forums, the bokeh is very special, kind of explicit painterly. Mist be pleasing to some (I like it) and disturbing for others.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

D1N0 wrote:
Best 35 for bokeh I have is the Auto-Takumar 35/2.3.

Is it a Flektogon based design? I did not find your post presenting the lens. There are some samples in Pentax forums, the bokeh is very special, kind of explicit painterly. Mist be pleasing to some (I like it) and disturbing for others.

It is a Angénieux retrofocus design. Here's my album with it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomdump/albums/72157715097997236

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You present it well! Thank you fr the link.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only explicit statement about the Yashikors maker I found by the moment is the following from Wikipedia: "While the Yashimaflex used lenses labeled Tri-Lausar, successive models used Yashikor and Yashinon lenses. All of these lenses were manufactured for Yashica by the Tomioka Optical Works, beginning a relationship that lasted for many years."

Although this concerns medium format cameras and the 1950s.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that info is for trl cameras Alex Ph, both in *-non and *-kor lenses.
Yashica-D is one famous example of this Japaneeeezze peekaboo ...

i suspect that yashica kept later 'yashikor' name to sell the same product for less money and to clean old stock - thats all.

yashikor (m42) was only around early '70 after switch from penta to m42 mount. 28, 35 and 50mm - all 2.8.
a.f.a.i.k.
anyway, nice 'vintagy / analogue' feel lenses, very good with BW, boudoir, arty stuff, street .. and fake porta feel when in colour.

edit: to correct myself, 50 2.8 came from RF, via penta to m42. could be in 2 versions, xenotar and tessar. again, afaik.

Btw Alex, check Zone System, it's for BW in Post Process too

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea, that the cheaper lenses were the same as the more expensive ones! If it is true, I love such inverse marketing and wished there was more of it.

I looked for the info on Zone System. Is it a paid Photoshop add-on you meant? It looks promissing. Even though I am using the last free version of NIK (still available for download in a couple of places in the web) and enjoy the results.

Once again taken with Yashikor, event though NIK overdoes pretty much the lens' character.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

' zone system photography guide .. ' something like that -> search

in short (there are ppl who explain that much better than me writing it..) - it's about preventing blowout black and white, or creating a chess board look-a-like picture.
All to allow many shades of gray.

however, high contrast ('opposite' of Zone System theory) is 'arty' and used for (mostly) abstract stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I'll look for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Yashica Auto Yashikor 2.8/35 performs well in gloomy lig Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
A nice contrasty performer, sharp enough even if not the sharpest. What is more important, it gives a certain live feeling to the rendered picture. On Sony Nex mainly at f4 in a gloomy day light, constrast is boosted for this reason.

Close up

The rendering may not be everybody's taste but in this shot it works perfectly... Excellent focus and the result looks very smooth and interesting! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your appreciation! I value your gentle manner to touch both technical aspects and the esthetics, without dropping heavy judgements. You contribute to the high class of dialogue this forum is known for.