Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Would You Pay More Than 100 USD For Older Lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Would You Pay More Than 100 USD For Older Lens? Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
1. Would you NEVER pay more than $100 for a lens?

No. Good goods cost some money.

Laurence wrote:
2. Would you pay over $100 for a lens you really want?

Yes. But preferably no.

Laurence wrote:
3. Which lens (name only 1-3 lenses if possible) would be worth paying more than $100 in your opinion?

CZJ Pancolar 1.8/80, Vivitar Series 1 2.5/90; In general the Leica "R"-range of products.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that is a nice trip back in time, to the 2009! For many that was the moment of an early discovery of MF lenses. So, the question "would you spend over 100$ for a lens?" sounded a bit like "would you go to Africa for a safari?" I presume, most of those who said "no" crossed the line in the passed decade.

It was curious to read Volna-9 or some Vivitras in the list of the certain "over-100" lenses. I guess, some of those mentioned items cost today less than 11 years ago and thus are more affordable. There are some others that did not lose their price.

I started in 2012 and have a look now through my purchases. I spent damned hundreds on MF equipment, but there are in fact very little in the list that goes over 100 (shipping excluded). I confirm, I still don't have a Flek or a Leica (aside Colorplan), neither Nokton or a 1.2 glass. Having opted for a larger variety of lens experience and some fun, I neglected some of the "ultimate" IQ champions. I think, I've got and still getting what I wanted out of curiousity back than, in 2012. I know that some of you have more consistent projects, both as shooters and collectors.

In a more general way, what would be your answers to those questions from the 2009? What are the major changes arrived to your lens desires and expenditures since then?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2013 I started collecting lenses. I have many under 100UKP, But if you get into shift and tilt shift lenses or Contax Vario Sonnars 100 will barely cover the lens cap these days (if you want an original).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO this questions have been rather senseless 2009 in an international forum where people participate from around the world from totally different economies and this didn't change till date.

Maybe one member is able to spend Euro 500 without even thinking about and the other member has troubles to spend Euro 50.

Just my 2 cents....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid more than 100$ for these because they meant something special

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've only paid over $100 for these MF lenses:

1) Tamron 60B - $450 from KEH.
2) Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 - Twice in fact, at $133 and $149.
3) OM Zuiko MC 24/2.8 - I don't remember paying $204 for this, but apparently that is a thing I did in 2014.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few lenses that cost over $100 but in all honesty I get the most enjoyment out of lenses that cost ~$20 and give 90% of the quality of more expensive lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a collection, per se, but I have been accruing old lenses for very many years, many of which have been bought 'cos "that might be interesting" or a poor description on eBay hasn't attracted any other buyers. I've certainly not spent over £100 on any second-hand manual-focus lenses, (though a couple of more esoteric auto-focus lenses stretched the envelope a bit), but a couple of items, bought when they'd become "unfashionable" but not yet achieved collector status, have been re-sold at well over £100, so I for one am glad that some people are willing to pay a high price for these items Wink I'll mention at this point that the re-sold items in question, an X-Fujinon 50mm f/1.2 and a FED 28mm f/4.5, were put on eBay at relatively low starting prices with no reserve and allowed to achieve their "natural" collector value Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have paid well over £100 for a lens.

As I'm not strictly a collector I buy lenses that I want/need.

There is cash waiting for a Canon 28mm f2.8 or f3.5 rangefinder lens. Which would be great for my little Canon family and a practical lens for my M39 camera collection. I dont expect it to cost under £100

(Though a Nikkor or other lens with similar spec would be considered)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not paid $100 so far, but I would if I wanted something bad enough.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell, YES, have spent quite a bit for older lenses...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, like some of you, I consider lens buying as a kind of sport: cheaper is better, and let it give me some fun!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of my manual lenses cost less than $100, some of them are in the $100-$200 range and few cost more than $400.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most expensive vintage MF lens was a Carl Zeiss C/Y 35mm 1.4 which I paid 675 dollars for.. I have many many lenses I paid more than 100 dollars for. I try to find the "sweet spot", lenses that are good looking, good shooting, both ergonomically and image quality, relatively rare but not vanishingly so. When I first started collecting I managed to snag a mint minus trioplan 100mm 2.8 in the gorgeous zebra livery with case for 79 dollars. I do love the "treasure hunt" aspect of the hobby. But by far most of my lenses were less than a hundred. In the current era though the 100 dollar limit is rather silly when the price of a new Sony GM 400mm 2.8 is 12000 dollars.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of sub £20 lenses here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/philslizzy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People used to spend hundreds of (1970/1980) dollars to buy manual focus lenses (meaning thousands in today's money) with which they took brilliant photos. The quality of these lens means that many are still in great shape 40-50 years later...

Sure, modern lenses are more computer optimised, use more special glass, nano coated, better corrected.... but let's face it, they cost a lot more, have a different character, are inferior built quality and poor manufacturing standards (variability)... .
Then, there is the emotional value: 45 years ago, I struggled to buy the standard lenses and cameras and I have now been able to collect and use quite a few lenses I was craving for... and they make beautiful pictures, so to each his own.

Out of all these lenses, 50% were bought for more than 100€... meaning 50% were bought for less. Fine by me... the most hurting the purse was the RF 250 bought for 700£ by a long way... but the market price is horrendous.

For some reasons, the zooms are pretty cheap, only the MD 100-500 mm APO cost more than 50€.

Congratulations to MichelB for his nice lenses!

Last edited by Antoine on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with this type of question, is that it sets an arbitrary benchmark ($100) as a delineator.
As has been pointed out by many, the original value of the old lenses in question was many times this.
If they were worth so much then, why not now?
The problem began when digital SLRs took off and no one could see a use for vintage lenses, whose market value dropped overnight. They were not only difficult to sell, sometimes they could not be given away.
With the widespread development of mirrorless cameras and cheap adapters, all of a sudden old lenses had a new lease of life.
Now, because some people became accustomed to the "give away prices" from earlier, many great optics were undervalued, and some buyers developed a bargain hunting mentality.......namely "I will never pay more than $x for a lens.....".
Prices are sensibly heading back to realistic levels, and for many many lenses, this is again a reflection of their true worth.
Of course, occasionally someone will find a "bargain", but that is becoming rare these days.
Quality is always worth paying for.
Tom

PS If anyone has a 55mm f1.4 Pancolar or an Angenieux 50mm f1.8 available for under $100, please let me know Laugh 1 Laugh 1 Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far i haven't exceeded $80 (unless we're including shipping, in which i maybe have exceeded $100 by a little), almost everything i've ever wanted has turned up for less than $50 somewhere or another, just have to keep an eye out

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I've paid more than $100 for an old manual lens. I even spent more than $500 on some on them, but to date, I never went beyond $1000. That's it : collectible lenses are very sought after and require many bucks to get them. This is even more valid when they are lenses that can still perform very good, have special rendering (think of all thoose old soviet lenses, Sonnar-like portraits lenses), or are juste still unbeaten on a specific domain (ex. Tak 15/3.5 for wide angle on M42 camera, ultra long telephoto lenses).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started collecting MF lenses -- and film cameras -- back in 2009, right about when I joined this forum, but I think I missed this thread when it went by the first time. I now have a rather large collection, and I'd have to say that most of my favorite lenses cost over $100. There was a time back in 2009 and 2010 or so when almost anything MF was just dirt cheap, but there were a few exceptions, especially the more exotic stuff. Still, if you were patient, you could find deals.

So, which few lenses would I pay good money for now? How about a few lenses I already own?

Canon 55mm f/1.2 SSC
Canon 85mm f/1.2 SSC Aspherical
Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8
Kiron 105mm f/2.8 1:1 macro
Nikon AIs 200mm f/4 Micro-Nkkor
Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5
Tamron SP 200-600mm f/5.6
Tamron SP 300mm f/2.8 LD IF
Tokina ATX 100-300mm f/4 SD

How about a few lenses I used to own?

Canon nFD 300mm f/4
Canon nFD 400mm f/4.5 IF
Nikon 180mm f/2.8 ED
Nikon 200-400mm f/4 ED

Last edited by cooltouch on Fri May 29, 2020 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Back in 2009 when I started buying old lenses, I set a limit of $100 and mostly stayed way below it. I have acquired many that would now sell for over $100 and some of those I'd pay that if I didn't already have the lens. But the ones I've actually paid more for aren't many (in comparison to the whole).

Those where I broke my spending limit:
1.9/58 Primoplan
5.6/500 Rubinar
1.9 55 Quinon
8/700 Questar
Minolta AF Reflex

Not many.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Would You Pay More Than 100 USD For Older Lens? Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
We had a side discussion on another thread about willingness to pay more than $100 for a
used lens (keeping it narrowed to manual focus lenses only).

I understand that there are members who feel it is not worth it to spend over $100, and
others (like me) who would put out over $100.

I think it would be interesting and educational for our group
to get some opinions:

1. Would you NEVER pay more than $100 for a lens?
2. Would you pay over $100 for a lens you really want?
3. Which lens (name only 1-3 lenses if possible) would be worth paying more than $100 in your opinion?

Here are my answers:
1. No. I would pay more than $100 for lens.
2. Yes.

3. Sonnar 200/2.8
Sonnar 300/4
Flektogon 35/2.4

Yes, Yes, Yes.

I hardly ever pay under $100 for a vintage lens, but I choose them carefully. My record is $10,000 for a Dallmeyer Super Six Anastigmat 8 inch f2.0, and that is a fraction of what it is worth. A second lens that was quite expensive was the Canon 50mm f0.95. And another that is quite specialized is the Ultra Micro Nikkor 165mm f4.0. I'm posting two pics by each in that order.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Would You Pay More Than 100 USD For Older Lens? Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
My record is $10,000 for a Dallmeyer Super Six Anastigmat 8 inch f2.0, and that is a fraction of what it is worth.

Being unfamiliar with this lens, I just had to go check that out. Your statement is correct. It was a snip. *Gulp*.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

<...>

Those where I broke my spending limit:

<...>

8/700 Questar

Wow. What did you have to give for that one, if you don't mind my asking?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some hours on Excel, I now have a more precise view on how much I spent on the 300+ lenses I have bought in many years (of course most of them are now sold). Vertical scale corresponds to the number of lenses, horizontal scale is the max price range (ex. 100 EUR corresponds to lenses I paid between 50 and 100 EUR) :

Fun fact, this is quite like stock market : some lenses' prices are fluctuating and now the prices I paid are sometimes extremely high (for example my first two 120/2.8 were at more than 150 EUR, same for 15/3.5, 400/4), other times extremely low (a trioplan at 50-55 EUR in 2011, my H40 85/1.5 at 160 EUR...).