Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Will Nikon E series or Vivitar 1series meter on non AI Nikon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Will Nikon E series or Vivitar 1series meter on non AI Nikon Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm trying to set my girlfriend up with her birthday gift. I'm getting her a Nikon F2 non AI with the dp1. I am looking at a descent old school zoom to go along with it. She already has a 50 mm and a 105 mm Nikkor. I was looking at either the Nikon E series 75-150 or one of the first three Vivitar E series 70-210s. I've read that the Nikon may not meter with a non AI and I can't ask her if she would mind stop down metering with the lens because it's a surprise. I know the first 2 Vivitars in that series are non AI but I don't know about the third (the 2.Cool. I'm also trying to find out if the AI Vivitars will meter with a D7100. The macro photos I've seen with the first and third lenses on DSLRs are amazing. I know she would love it. From what I have been able to gather they should being AIs, but I don't know if Ken Rockwell's compatibility charts stating such apply to third party lenses as well as OEM lenses. Any advice would be helpful. I am stumped. Thanks for your responses.

Jameson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jameson

I just caught your post. I am also new to using this forum. You have a great idea for a wonderful gift. I might suggest you post this question under SLR Cameras. If you have not already got the lenses this may be too late.

Anyway, still have my Nikon F2. The F2 can mount either pre AI or AI/AIS lenses, but it needs the "rabbit ears" prong to mechanically transmit aperture information to the metering prism. I do not know about the Vivitar, but the e Series do not have this prong. If you can get this part you may be able to attach it to the lens. It is located at the f5.6 stop on Nikkors.

The e series are called Nikon not Nikkor. I always found this curious. I was lucky and only used the later.