Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wide angle lenses for 6x9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mystery lens from Budapest got relisted so I grabbed it for the grand sum of 1 dollar:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Special-lens-fit-to-compur-maybe-wide-angle-angulon-rodenstock-schneider-/200885965637?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=jgzd8bU8TjMZnji8x4sSdte5SRI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Still got no idea what it is, I'll stick it in a shutter I'll borrow from one of my folders and see what sort of image it projects on my Graphic, with a bit of luck it will be usable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this thread on graflex.org, the Mamiya TLR lenses cover 2x3, which is great news. I'll put my Mamiya 2.8/80 on the lensboard currently occupied by my Xenar 3.5/105 soon when I send the Xenar off for the shutter to be CLA'd.

https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=289&sid=901eb17c5f1cba01407dabfb7d5e1988

I should have remembered that the Mamiya TLR could take a plate back that was 2x3, I had a set here for a while that a friend bought for his Mamiya C3.

Mamiya TLR lenses are pretty cheap, I'll keep my eye out for the 55 and 65.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, there are two coverage concepts in general use. One means illuminates, the other means puts good image in the corners.

Most people who hang a lens in front of a ground glass to find out whether the lens covers the format they want it to cover use the first concept. It is very difficult to evaluate image quality on a ground glass. The only safe way to determine whether a lens covers a format is to shoot a target that will allow image quality in the corners of the frame and then look at the negative at moderate magnification. 10x is enough. I've used 30x, it doesn't give more information than 10x.

Real people don't shoot 2x3 with lenses from 6x6 TLRs. There's a reason. They don't cover 2x3 in the sense of putting good image in the corners. The 65 you mentioned isn't particularly good on 6x6, will likely be poor on 2x3. The 55 is slightly interesting, but if you must do something like that the 58 Omega lens is a better gamble. I wouldn't touch Mamiya TLR lenses even though they are easy to find and relatively inexpensive.

If you can afford to play with Mamiya TLR lenses by all means do, and if you do please tell us how well they please you. But remember, you're poor (you say) and 47 SAs are expensive. Playing will reduce the rate at which your 47 SA fund grows. Its your money, your time, and your desire to by god do something, so do what pleases you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good advice Dan. I'm aware of the difference between illuminates and covers with a sharp image, so my plan is to try the Mamiya 80mm lens and see how it works.

I took the Century Graphic out today and after 2 shots managed to break the handle off the Mamiya 70mm back, which is most annoying. Doubt I can fix it. I did manage to shoot a couple of 6x9 sheets however.