Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wide Angle Lens Recommendation
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Wide Angle Lens Recommendation Reply with quote

Hello All,
I am looking for a wide angle lens for landscapes (sub 30mm).
So far, I have the following lenses and none I really liked.

1) CZJ Flektogon 4/20
2) Vivitar MC 2.8/28 (Komine)
3) Super Tak 2.8/28
4) Meyor Optik Lydith 3.5/30
5) Pentacon MC Electric 2.8/29
6) Cosinon Auto MC 2.8/28
7) Soligor 2.8/28

What I am after is a lens that takes sharp and constrasty images with good colour randition. I also prefer lens with minimal distortion as I stitch photos a lot (Flek is good for this but lacks sharpness).

I am contemplating buying Nikkor or Zuiko. Any suggestions?

cheers
Ed


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMC Tokina 2.8/28 is really good, try it.

I have Vivitar 2/28 (kiron), 2.5/28 (kiron) and 2.8/28 (komine),
but I like the RMC (OM mount) most!!

It's still reallycheap.


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with Chris
The nikkors at this focal length are mainly terrific. especially the 24's. The 28's have to be chosen carefully - the 28/2.8 AIS with min focus at 0.2m is the best of them all.


patrickh


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made some test shots with a Soligor 28mm f/2.8 (preset), you can see them on my website. But there are so many Soligor 28mm models...

If you want to know about the Nikkors, there is one website I can recommend: Bj?rn R?rslett. It's the site I use most often for quick and down-to-earth information about Nikkors. I then look up the serial number to see how rare the lens is (will it be offered frequently?) and to make sure the seller gives me correct info about the mount (pre-Ai, Ai-S, ..).


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definately recommend a Nikkor from the 70s, the 20mm F4 are great as well, I can only wonder how my sample manages to deliver better images than many expensive lenses from the current Nikon-Lineup.

Another lens worth a try is the Mamiya/Sekor SX 28mm F2,8. Wonderful colours, great sharpness, interesting Bokeh.


These are the ones I have tried and kept...


Greetings
Benedikt


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm f2.8 MC

From Nikkors I vote:

1) 24mm f2.8 AIS
2) 28mm f2.8 AIS
3) 35mm f1.4 AIS
4) Nikkor UD 20mm f3.5

Best one is 24mm

Zuiko 21mm f3.5 unbeatable lens from all aspects

Yashica 24mm, 28mm ML also provide highest quality on low price.


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMC Tokina 24mm f2.8 : tak sharp even wide open (but prone to flare)


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Now I am leaning towards Nikkor lenses.
I am watching a Nikkor Non-AI 2.8/24mm and a couple of Nikkor 28mm lenses (f2.8 and f3.5).
Q: My camera body is Canon EOS and I will be using this lens with an adapter. Does it matter if I buy non-AI, AI, AIS, AI'd etc?

Cheers
Ed


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also interesting perhaps is the Tamron SP 24-48mm. I have this lens and use it as a walk-around on my Nikon D80. On a 35mm camera, you'd have a nice wide zoom. A lens I'm currently trying to get my hands on is the Zoom-Nikkor 25-50 f/4, a rare lens which is said to perform well.


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can personally recommend :

28mm 2.8 AIS Nikkor
24mm 2.8 AIS Nikkor
20mm 2.8 AIS Nikkor

none are particularly cheap

Cheaper alternatives the 28mm Nikon E is still pretty decent although CA is more visible. The Mir10a 4as great colour saturation but isn't bitingly sharp.


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esrods wrote:
Thanks guys,
Now I am leaning towards Nikkor lenses.
I am watching a Nikkor Non-AI 2.8/24mm and a couple of Nikkor 28mm lenses (f2.8 and f3.5).
Q: My camera body is Canon EOS and I will be using this lens with an adapter. Does it matter if I buy non-AI, AI, AIS, AI'd etc?

Cheers
Ed
All will work fine but if you're after the highest contrast stick with AIS.


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
All will work fine but if you're after the highest contrast stick with AIS.


Richard, is it because AIS are multi-coated? I read somewhere that earlier model of 2.8/24mm (ie non-AI) is better lens.
I am about to snipe a non-AI in a few hours Confused


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to use on EOS camera then before buying anything else you should consider the Distagon 2.8/28mm which is a top-class lens with a reasonable price - in my opinion superior to the other 28mm lenses that have been suggested.
You should be able to find a MM version (the best version) for 150-200 Euros. The AE version (a bit weaker in the corners at wide apertures) should be obtaineable for 100-150 Euros.

If you want wider then the Yashica ML 2.8/24mm is hard to beat for price/quality ratio. You should be able to get one for 100-150 Euros.
-


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esrods wrote:
Richard_D wrote:
All will work fine but if you're after the highest contrast stick with AIS.


Richard, is it because AIS are multi-coated? I read somewhere that earlier model of 2.8/24mm (ie non-AI) is better lens.
I am about to snipe a non-AI in a few hours Confused


The pre-AI models changed only the later pre-AI had a floating element. All are very good lenses. Yes the AIS multi-coating does result in better contrast tn the earlier coatings, but if you use a hood or shade the front element you won't find any of them lacking a healthy degree of bite.


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you will use the lens at a crop cam, keep in mind that 28mm is not really a wide angle any more.
So if you want something "wide", well kind of, then you need to go for a 24mm.

If you like to shoot with a 28mm at your crop cams (sometimes I really like that!), Nikkor 28mm will also be good.

BTW, I am selling a Yashica ML 2.8/28 for a nice price at the moment...
http://forum.mflenses.com/selling-some-lenses-t5504.html


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilant wrote:
RMC Tokina 2.8/28 is really good, try it.
I agree, it's very sharp. Usually sells for ~20 on ebay!
fotomachi wrote:
Also interesting perhaps is the Tamron SP 24-48mm. I have this lens and use it as a walk-around on my Nikon D80. On a 35mm camera, you'd have a nice wide zoom.

I have this zoom, it's very sharp at 24mm but has some distortion.


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Since you will use the lens at a crop cam, keep in mind that 28mm is not really a wide angle any more.

LucisPictor, you are right. 28mm is getting close to normal for crop cameras. So, I am looking at 20mm-24mm lenses but the cost tend to climb up steeply.

LucisPictor wrote:
BTW, I am selling a Yashica ML 2.8/28 for a nice price at the moment...
http://forum.mflenses.com/selling-some-lenses-t5504.html

That's very tempting... what would be the shipping cost for Sydney?


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
If you are going to use on EOS camera then before buying anything else you should consider the Distagon 2.8/28mm which is a top-class lens with a reasonable price - in my opinion superior to the other 28mm lenses that have been suggested.
You should be able to find a MM version (the best version) for 150-200 Euros. The AE version (a bit weaker in the corners at wide apertures) should be obtaineable for 100-150 Euros.

If you want wider then the Yashica ML 2.8/24mm is hard to beat for price/quality ratio. You should be able to get one for 100-150 Euros.
-


Orio, I read your comparison on Distagon and Nikkor. Very impressive. What about sub-28mm lenses? How do they fair against 28mm? Or should I go for Yashica ML?


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
pilant wrote:
RMC Tokina 2.8/28 is really good, try it.
I agree, it's very sharp. Usually sells for ~20 on ebay!
fotomachi wrote:
Also interesting perhaps is the Tamron SP 24-48mm. I have this lens and use it as a walk-around on my Nikon D80. On a 35mm camera, you'd have a nice wide zoom.

I have this zoom, it's very sharp at 24mm but has some distortion.


Cheers to you all. I don't have RMC Tokina 2.8/28 but have played before. Indeed it's quite a good lens but it did not satisfy my fuzzy taste on lenses. Since I do not have good photo skills so I have to heavily rely on performance of lenses.


PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esrods wrote:

Orio, I read your comparison on Distagon and Nikkor. Very impressive. What about sub-28mm lenses? How do they fair against 28mm?


I have three 24/25mm lenses: the Distagon 25, Yashica ML 24, and Flektogon 25.
The Distagon 25 MM version is even better than the 28mm in my opinion, except perhaps wide open. There's also to say that it costs double the price of 28mm. Both are at the very top of their focal lenghts in any case.
The Yashica ML 24 is surely the best buy for the money. It costs 1/3rd the price of Distagon 25 and performs close in quality.
Since you didn't like the Flek 20, ignore also the Flek 25 because they are the same type of lens.

esrods wrote:
Or should I go for Yashica ML?


Yashica ML lenses are often the best buy for the price. They perform close to their Distagon counterparts, for a much smaller price. THey are not the same as the Distagons obviously, you can see a difference when comparing. But they are close enough. So it's the same old story, compare the prices and get the best lens your money can buy.

Ah there's also the Olympus lenses in the wide angle range, they are very good, I don't have any so I can not compare.
-

-


PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired the Yashica 28/2,8 ML for under $25. For the money it is an incredible performer and to some extent gives my nikkor 28/2 a run. It is also as good as the Kiron 28/2 which is quite a compliment.


patrickh


PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esrods wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Since you will use the lens at a crop cam, keep in mind that 28mm is not really a wide angle any more.

LucisPictor, you are right. 28mm is getting close to normal for crop cameras. So, I am looking at 20mm-24mm lenses but the cost tend to climb up steeply.

Yes, that's right. The wider the more expensive... Sad

esrods wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
BTW, I am selling a Yashica ML 2.8/28 for a nice price at the moment...
http://forum.mflenses.com/selling-some-lenses-t5504.html

That's very tempting... what would be the shipping cost for Sydney?

Oh, you are living down under. German mail is really expensive when it comes to intercontinental packages.
Insured, with 11-day-delivery: 37,-
Not insured, with delivery of more than 30 days (!): 12,90
Sad


PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Zenitar ? It's a 16mm (with some barrel distortion Laughing ) but it's unbeatable price for such a wide angle ! And it can be defished on post-processing.


PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best Nikkors and Zeiss are about equal. You can see a Nikkor non-AI 20mm f4 review here that shows legendary Nikkor realism for landscapes.

I haven't tried my Zuiko 21mm f2 for landscapes but the eyes on 100% crops in a portrait suggest it's going to be nice outdoors. Zuiko 21/2, 100/2 maybe, 180/2, 350/2.8 have ED glass.

The Leica Elmarit R 15mm f2.8 rectilinear would be a good choice for a wide on crop cams, but the $9000 price tag is a hindrance to some Wink

Zeiss Distagon 28mm f2.8 is one of the best bargains. It's a standard lens on a crop cam though.

Zeiss Distagon 21mm f2.8 is affordable in Nikon mount but really high priced in Contax because they're not allowed to use radioactive materials anymore. I guess it was thoriated like all the manufacturers did in a few fl's. Most thoriated lenses are really great but Zuiko 55mm is a dud compared to non-thoriated 50mm f1.2.

For crop cams we want something rectilinear 10 to 20mm. Not many choices.


PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped down to f4 and beyond the Tamron 24mm f2.5 A2 is a good lens for a reasonable price as another option.