Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Why I'm contemplating the Sigma DP1...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Why I'm contemplating the Sigma DP1... Reply with quote

You go on flickr's Foveon group and see pics like this:

Yup, Japan does a purty good job with fall colors, too! It's not all about their
cherry blossom festivals in the spring. Viewing the large file to the above is
simply awesome!

There are all kinds of jaw-droppers in that group.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Why I'm contemplating the Sigma DP1... Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
There are all kinds of jaw-droppers in that group.

Bill,

I have the DP-1 and it is indeed a camera capable of outstanding results. Don't believe people telling you that 4.5 Mpix is not enough. It is perfectly possible to make very sharp A2 prints from DP-1 pictures.

Many users are disappointed with the DP-1, because it not a very versatile camera compared to other point-and-shoot cameras. The lens is F/4 only, which is not much for available light photography. It's not a zoom, so the user is stuck with the 28mm equiv. focal length. It can't do macro either. The camera is not very responsive (autofocus is sluggish, and writing raw files takes forever) and not very user friendly (one needs to access the menu to change ISO, white balance or image quality settings). It is not good at long exposure or high ISO shots. Shooting with the sun or any other bright light source in the frame will lead to ugly magenta flare. To be able to achieve top quality pictures, one has to be ready to shoot in raw and spend some time in post processing the files.

But I consider the lens on the DP-1 is worth all the pain, because it's certainly one of the best wide angle lenses ever made. Sharp, contrasty with negligible chromatic aberrations and very little distortion.

To me, the DP-1 is unrivaled as a pocket camera for high quality landscape and architecture work. But I wouldn't recommend it as a multi-purpose point-and-shoot. I consider the DP-1 to be something like a medium format folding camera: it delivers great pictures and it's fun to use, but I wouldn't rely on it alone to shoot my next holidays.

Here are some pictures taken in Paris last month with the DP-1:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sébastien,

Thanks much for posting these and the great info about the camera! Love
the colors the Foveon sensor yields as well, and your results certainly
showcase the cam's capabilities.

Wow, Paris! Do you still speak French like a native or have you lost a little
for all the time you've spent in SEA? Wink Just kidding. Smile

Thanks again,

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding results, Abbaz!.
Those Foveon sensors have something speciall, and combined with the DP-1 lens, are unbeatable, even with the restrictions that you mention.
Thanks for sharing!

Jes.