Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

why are lens parts SO SMALL!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: why are lens parts SO SMALL! Reply with quote

had to clean my canon 58mm over the weekend. i have cleaned most of my lenses myself. going by trial and error path.

you know that itch inside of you that won't go away?
you just have to clean that tiny smudge on the inside of the front element even if you know it won't affect the final IQ?

well i did it again last saturday. started to disassemble the back element and found out that the screws for the lens were so small that i could not put them back after the cleaning process.

it just sticks to the magnet tip of the screw driver and refuses to go through the hole.

why do lens manufacturers make the parts SO SMALL?

just to make our lives more 'enjoyable'?

just ranting my frustrations.

finally got my lens back together although there are a few extra parts now that seems to not fit anywhere...

it is good of the lens manufacturers to place some spare parts inside of the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera screws seem to come in three sizes - I have worked out a size classification system.

Fleas, Half Fleas and Baby Fleas

Just as hard to see and get hold of as the real thing and hop about and disappear in much the same way.

I am still trying to figure out how they manage to make these things and even if it is possible, as it surely must be, then trying to find a repetitive lather operator that is still sane after doing so.

I am not telling anyone on this forum but merely observing that it is hard enough to find the slot for the screwdriver even under magnification let alone get the screw into a thread and actually tighten it. But I have managed so far - I just hope I don't have to work on anything really complicated.

The flea screws need to be confined in a special place lest they be mistaken for a speck of dust.

Don't ask me about ball bearings pretending that they are escaped cake decorations ....

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Thanks that was very funny.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of servicing a 1954 silver Jupiter 8 and I reckon the grub screws are even smaller than a baby flea Shocked