Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Whose issue: the adapter or the lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Whose issue: the adapter or the lens? Reply with quote

I got a vintage T-Minolta SR adapter and was eager to screw on to my T mount lens which didn't come with an adapter. However, it got stuck after one or two turns. Initially I thought it is the issue of the lens thread because I've tried this adapter on a few T mount lenses and it worked fine. Strangely enough, I tried some other T mount adapters that I have on the lens that I thought had the problem, they all work fine. I am puzzled. What could be wrong, the lens thread or the T mount adapter? Can you guys please help? Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome vivaldibow

I guess adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Welcome vivaldibow

I guess adapter.

Thanks! I had thought so. But I had another Caspeco T mount lens which behaves similar. This leads me to believe it is
more of the lens thread issue. Or maybe both.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're describing sounds to me like you're trying to screw an M42 lens onto your T-mount adapter. T-mount and M42 are both 42mm. The only difference between the two is the pitch of their threads, so it can be easy to confuse the two. Make sure that lens is indeed T-mount, and not M42.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
What you're describing sounds to me like you're trying to screw an M42 lens onto your T-mount adapter. T-mount and M42 are both 42mm. The only difference between the two is the pitch of their threads, so it can be easy to confuse the two. Make sure that lens is indeed T-mount, and not M42.

Initially I thought so. But I used all my T mount adapters from other lenses onto that particular lens and they are all fine. I also tried an M42-Nex to the lens and it didn't screw on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've brought stepping rings in the past that were sold as 52mm to M42, only to find they were 52-T2.
I now tend to contact the seller to get them to confirm the pitch before buying M42 adapters etc.

I've also splashed out & brought a £1 set of metric thread gauges to allow me to check the odd ball lenses I have. Between these & my calipers I should be able to identify metric threads. There have been one or two that when just checked using filter threads left me unsure if they are metric x1 threads or imperial 26 tpi ones.
Careful checking with the gauge (while wearing reading glasses...) is on my to do list along with a few hundred other things Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use that adapter on other lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
I've brought stepping rings in the past that were sold as 52mm to M42, only to find they were 52-T2.
I now tend to contact the seller to get them to confirm the pitch before buying M42 adapters etc.

I've also splashed out & brought a £1 set of metric thread gauges to allow me to check the odd ball lenses I have. Between these & my calipers I should be able to identify metric threads. There have been one or two that when just checked using filter threads left me unsure if they are metric x1 threads or imperial 26 tpi ones.
Careful checking with the gauge (while wearing reading glasses...) is on my to do list along with a few hundred other things Rolling Eyes

That's interesting to know!