Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Whodunnit: Focal 28mm 1:2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Whodunnit: Focal 28mm 1:2.8 Reply with quote

This lens was tossed in with a Vivitar (Tokina) 100-300mm lens I bought. Can anyone identify who actually made it? Unusual how the text is on the barrel instead of around the front element. I don't have an SR to E mount adapter yet, so I can't test the optical quality but it seems quite well made and sturdy.

Last edited by Ziginox on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Whodunnit: Focal 28mm 1:2.8 Reply with quote

Ziginox wrote:
This lens was tossed in with a Vivitar (Tokina) 100-300mm lens I bought. Can anyone identify who actually made it? Unusual how the text is on the barrel instead of around the front element. I don't have an SR to E mount adapter yet, so I can't test the optical quality but it seems quite well made and sturdy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focal was the store brand of K Mart in the USA, and the bigger stores had big camera departments back in the 1970's and 80's. They, like other stores, had the buying power to have equipment branded by whoever they chose to buy it from, so Focal lenses could be from just about anyone.
But I suspect Cosina for this 28, unless it is the rather good Ensinor - Clubman -Tefnon lens ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Whodunnit: Focal 28mm 1:2.8 Reply with quote

Ziginox wrote:
I don't have an SR to E mount adapter yet, so I can't test the optical quality but it seems quite well made and sturdy.

In my experience, these Focals, are some of the better budget 28's.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
But I suspect Cosina for this 28, unless it is the rather good Ensinor - Clubman -Tefnon lens ?

I (unfortunately) suspect Cosina as well, but I can't seem to find anything they made (or the other three) with the print engraved onto the outside of the barrel like this, aside from just the word "Macro" on some others.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Whodunnit: Focal 28mm 1:2.8 Reply with quote

Ziginox wrote:

I'm pretty sure that lens was made by Makina (usually sold as a Makinon):

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1325.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a different lens that was once sold as Focal brand and it still remains a mystery who made it.

http://forum.mflenses.com/focal-k-mart-200-4-5-preset-mystery-lens-t9354,highlight,focal+brand.html

Some other Focal 28mm lenses -
http://forum.mflenses.com/focal-28mm-f-2-8-m42-t45736.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makina, in my opinion. Tokina made Focals would date from the early 70s. Perhaps no later than 73 or 74.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please share some picture results... Subscribed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
Please share some picture results... Subscribed.

Will do, I'm just waiting on my adapter to arrive. For reference, the photos above were taken with the amazingly sharp Olympus Zuiko 24mm 1:3.5, so this one has quite the competition.