Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Who needs film?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Who needs film? Reply with quote

Had an idea last night that I just had to try today.

Instead of buying film to put in a camera, why not put in paper, develop it, then scan & invert the image?

So this afternoon I cut up some Ilford MG to fit into the Kodak 3A, and taped it in place.

The result: A 'paper' negative!

A quick scan & crop nets a positive image:

Not something I'd do every day, but a fun little experiment! Plus, the paper can be handled with a safelight instead of total darkness.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason why it shouldn't work. It's all basically the same chemistry.

I've heard of people who make their own pinhole cameras who mount paper inside the cameras instead of film. Same difference.

For somebody like me, who's transitioned to a "digital darkroom," it would mean going back to a wet darkroom to develop the paper -- converting my bathroom in my case.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good idea, many people using plate type cameras use this method.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is nice.

I wonder, how do you calculate exposure?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.

I've done quite a lot of paper negatives and find that different papers work to differing degrees of success. I rate them at very low ISO then develop in a tray under a red safelight until I see the density level I want.

The one big drawback is sharpness - paper negatives simply aren't very sharp. This is not an issue really with 4x5 and larger, but I was shooting 6x9 so it was an issue.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
That is nice.

Use ISO 6. My Gossen goes down to 3, so that's not an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! i should try this one day.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

480sparky wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:
That is nice.

Use ISO 6. My Gossen goes down to 3, so that's not an issue.

Any meter will do. They all go down to 25 ASA, and 3 ASA/ISO is just three stops lower than 25, so its not too difficult to calculate the exposure. Even sunny 16 works:

Bright sun 1/4 f16 = 1/30 f5.6
Hazy sun 1/4 f11 = 1/15 f5.6

etc. etc.