Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Who made that Vivitar? 39-80
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Who made that Vivitar? 39-80 Reply with quote

Who made that Vivitar?
The numbering starts with 81. It looks new and is very cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who made that Vivitar? 39-80 Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
Who made that Vivitar?
The numbering starts with 81. It looks new and is very cheap.

81 is Polar, but the interesting thing is that sigma sign before the serial number - I would have thought that indicates Sigma as the manufacturer. Maybe the numbering scheme doesn't apply.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Sigma XQ 39-80mm:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on quality?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Sigma version in Canon FD many years ago, the writing on the rubber grip screams 'Sigma'

I hated it. Maybe it was a bad copy that I bought cheaply second hand, but it was a very poor performer and eventually fell apart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Sigma-XQ MC 39-80/3.5 in M42 mount that I intend to sell very soon. There is nothing wrong with it that I can tell, it seems solid and optically good. But it is auto-only aperture, so I can only use it wide-open on my K20D. The only auto-only lenses I will keep are those where I have already glued down the aperture pin. I will glue no more pins, so off to market it goes! Or should I keep it and other auto-only M42 glass, and buy an expensive M42-PK adapter with the internal flange that holds-in the pin?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Who made that Vivitar? 39-80 Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
Who made that Vivitar?

Are you sure it has vivitar name ?
As far i remember
That sigma lens was only sold under sigma , pentacon name and few exotic distributor names
sigma NEVer manufactured for vivitar

An on the rubber grip, i think can read sigma

If you have a vivitar name , you have a very rare lens !

RioRico wrote:
There is nothing wrong with it that I can tell, it seems solid and optically good.

i remember and 1975/1976 test comparing sigma 39/80 & tokina 35/105 .. The quality was close .. Tokina was a little over

Last edited by PBFACTS on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that sigma.

Don't accept comparison with the lenses that you like to have.

You should sell it, as I did.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see vivitar on the OPs lens. Seems to be the Sigma, which I have have, and although very well put together... is a dog!
Having said that, it's a very good portrait lens which is why I keep it...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Sigma made. Later, the Sigma made lenses start with the numbers 19xxxx