Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

White Balance
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: White Balance Reply with quote

One of the biggest advantages of digital SLR cameras is the ability to shoot in RAW and to set the White Balance to accomodate the light source both in camera and in PP. The great benefit of this should be accurate colour rendition, but we too often see pictures with distorted colours because of the WB being wrong.

This came up on another thread today, so I thought it might be interesting to check how we all deal with it.

Personally I use the Gossen Sixtomat Colour Meter when I have any doubt. Bright sunshine is easy, as are clouds, but any kind of mixed lighting needs care. As do the beautiful light of evening and dawn.

How do the rest of you deal with it?

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the Gossen Sixticolor and often I set it's value directly into the 5D
(which is not possible with the 400D).

However for me the question is another: is really the white balanced light the "correct" light for a scene?
Or isn't it overcorrecting really?
Twlights are blue - that's a fact, so what is correct, to put a totally absurd value (say 10.000°K) in the Kelvin field of your camera, to make the grey look grey? Or isn't it to set the camera at the standard average value of 5500° and let it register the colour changes throughout the day without forcing them to be all even greys?

I more and more am of the second opinion. Keep the camera at 5500°K and register the colour changes without trying to neutralize them.

_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually trust the AWB and shoot in RAW, so that I can adjust the pic to a "look" I like.
For my photography is not about genuine colours, but pleasant ones. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this

on the 400D I cannot enter a color temperature

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
I usually trust the AWB and shoot in RAW, so that I can adjust the pic to a "look" I like.
For my photography is not about genuine colours, but pleasant ones. Wink

I agree.

Me either. But I often try to pick a white spot on the shoot with the picking tool in DPP for a start.