Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which triplet to buy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Which triplet to buy Reply with quote

Some triplets are in the market.

I can choose among

Ludwing's Meritar 2,9/45

Meyer's Trioplan 2,8/50 - 3,5/45

Meyer's Domiplan 2,8/50

Voigtlandër's Voigtar 2,8-3,5/50

Ikon's Pantar 2,8/50

All cheapo lenses. Any of them have a special feature that makes it interesant?

Thanks

Last edited by papasito on Fri May 29, 2020 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the trioplan (vintage uncoated from a folding camera) and the Domiplan (late 60s probably from a praktica, just a complete piece of crap, the diaphragm was loose, the "helical" was a slot with a plastic pin) I like the trioplan better but the poor materials and workmanship on the domiplan really turned me off to that lens so I may be biased due to the specific version I started with.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I have used the trioplan (vintage uncoated from a folding camera) and the Domiplan (late 60s probably from a praktica, just a complete piece of crap, the diaphragm was loose, the "helical" was a slot with a plastic pin) I like the trioplan better but the poor materials and workmanship on the domiplan really turned me off to that lens so I may be biased due to the specific version I started with.

I can access a trioplan 2,8/50 of an Altix camera or 3,5/45 of the Beirette. The 2,8/50 seems to be better build and perhaps better optics

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also used the trioplan 100mm in Exakta (the "bokeh bubble" thing) but also slower older 105's and 75 from folders. They all seemed very good quality and workmanship wise. Being a triplet likely means soft corners when open but all the ones I have tried sharpen nicely in the middle with a few stops.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Which triplet to buy Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

I can choose among

Ludwing's Meritar 2,9/45

Meyer's Domiplan 2,8/50

Ikon's Pantar 2,8/50

Thanks

The Domiplan is a hit or miss. I got a good one on only my second try but is not as good as the Trioplan, which is f/2.9, not 2.8. My Trioplan is the Altix mount, and easy adaptation, and very sharp. It also delivers the soap bubble bokeh when the circumstances are right.

I only got a Meritar recently with several other lenses in a lot sale. The one I have is not very good. I can't comment on the others but do think the Trioplan is a very good lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Which triplet to buy Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
papasito wrote:

I can choose among

Ludwing's Meritar 2,9/45

Meyer's Domiplan 2,8/50

Ikon's Pantar 2,8/50

Thanks

The Domiplan is a hit or miss. I got a good one on only my second try but is not as good as the Trioplan, which is f/2.9, not 2.8. My Trioplan is the Altix mount, and easy adaptation, and very sharp. It also delivers the soap bubble bokeh when the circumstances are right.

I only got a Meritar recently with several other lenses in a lot sale. The one I have is not very good. I can't comment on the others but do think the Trioplan is a very good lens.

Yes, you are right. IT's a f/2,9 lens.
Thank you.

IT cames with an Altix nb

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in their time TT&H were considered the unsurpassed masters of the high quality triplets. I had a lot of them and still have 6 or 7, mostly for medium and large format. Some of them are amazingly good on FF and have a nice character. Even if they are a bit older I'll recommend to check them, too.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Domiplan in good working condition is a perfectly nice lens.
Any of the Steinheil Cassar variants, Cassarit or Cassaron are good, though the aperture is inclined to stick on the auto-aperture versions, in my experience.
A Lomo T-43, salvaged from a Cosmic 35 or one of the variants can be remounted for use on a mirrorless camera, similarly a Schneider Reomar from a Retinette, the 50mm version will even mount on a Pentax DSLR with infinity focus Wink
For experience with a longer focal length, the Zeiss 135mm Triotar can be interesting, with the traditional Zeiss quality Smile

Just remember, the "bubble bokeh" effect that is so popular is usually only fully achieved under carefully controlled circumstances, the lens will usually be on extension tubes or bellows and the out-of-focus highlights will be a fairly specific distance behind the subject Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very many triplets that are enlarging lenses.
Most are quite good and usually very cheap.
I only have the Boyer Paris Topaz 105mm f4.5, but it is rather special.
Some shots here
http://forum.mflenses.com/boyer-paris-topaz-105mm-f45-t81508.html

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicest surprise for me in the cheap 'n' cheery category has been the coated 2.9 50 Meritar, exa mount. Also, I find the ergonomics excellent. I can focus and change aperture at the same time with thumb on focus ring and index on aperture ring. I don't know how common that is, or its necessity to be honest, it's just that the Meritar seems to encourage you to try it.

Not a great angle, but the aperture control is the middle, knurled, ring just in front of the scalloped focus ring. They work very well together.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Back in their time TT&H were considered the unsurpassed masters of the high quality triplets. I had a lot of them and still have 6 or 7, mostly for medium and large format. Some of them are amazingly good on FF and have a nice character. Even if they are a bit older I'll recommend to check them, too.

Thank you Dan.

Not common lenses in my market.

I will look for any of them

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
A Domiplan in good working condition is a perfectly nice lens.
Any of the Steinheil Cassar variants, Cassarit or Cassaron are good, though the aperture is inclined to stick on the auto-aperture versions, in my experience.
A Lomo T-43, salvaged from a Cosmic 35 or one of the variants can be remounted for use on a mirrorless camera, similarly a Schneider Reomar from a Retinette, the 50mm version will even mount on a Pentax DSLR with infinity focus Wink
For experience with a longer focal length, the Zeiss 135mm Triotar can be interesting, with the traditional Zeiss quality Smile

Just remember, the "bubble bokeh" effect that is so popular is usually only fully achieved under carefully controlled circumstances, the lens will usually be on extension tubes or bellows and the out-of-focus highlights will be a fairly specific distance behind the subject Wink

Thanks Kypfer.

In my market the Domiplan costs almost the same than Minolta MD 50/1,4 (near u$s 90).

Not the adecuate cost for my taste

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
There are very many triplets that are enlarging lenses.
Most are quite good and usually very cheap.
I only have the Boyer Paris Topaz 105mm f4.5, but it is rather special.
Some shots here
http://forum.mflenses.com/boyer-paris-topaz-105mm-f45-t81508.html

Thank you, Tom.

As always, your pic is very nice

My market is very little. No lenses like yours.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Nicest surprise for me in the cheap 'n' cheery category has been the coated 2.9 50 Meritar, exa mount. Also, I find the ergonomics excellent. I can focus and change aperture at the same time with thumb on focus ring and index on aperture ring. I don't know how common that is, or its necessity to be honest, it's just that the Meritar seems to encourage you to try it.

Not a great angle, but the aperture control is the middle, knurled, ring just in front of the scalloped focus ring. They work very well together.

Thank you Sciolist

I only see that lens with the Beirette camera.

Don't know if both have similar rendering

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trioplan 50mm f/2.9 is my top choice. I have a good Domiplan Q1 that is slightly better than the Trioplan when not making bubbles.

Meritar 50mm f/2.9: Had one but it was not preforming well.

Trioplan 45mm f/3.5. I have tested a Pentona II with this lens and found it not worth to adapt.
Samples with bokeh are rare so I'll link a few here: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=158051784%40N03&sort=date-taken-desc&text=pentona%20ii&view_all=1

Rodenstock Rogonar 50mm f/2.8 a new triplet good performance but bokeh less interesting than older lenses.

Zeiss Ikon Novicar 50mm 2.8: good.

Voigtländer Lanthar 50mm 2.8: good.

Cassarit 50mm f/2.8 Paxette: Very good soap bubble maker but bad edge sharpness.

Last edited by blotafton on Sat May 30, 2020 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Thank you Sciolist

I only see that lens with the Beirette camera.

Don't know if both have similar rendering

Mine was standard fitment on the EXA I. Fairly plentiful. I can't comment on comparison with the Beirette unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like bubbles consider the Fuji 55mm f2.2

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two favorite triplets are the old slim CZJ 135 Triotar 4 and the Isco 100 Isconar 4.5.

The triotar is just excellent if you can find a good one.

I've got a Domiplan too, and mine is quite good. I guess I got lucky.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooke triplet https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooke_triplet
https://www.willbell.com/tm/ChapterB.3.pdf

http://forum.mflenses.com/list-of-lens-diagrams-triplets-planars-and-hybrid-lenses-t22934.html

This is a good post:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/01/cooking-with-glass/