Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which medium format...for a beginner?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Which medium format...for a beginner? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been thinking for a while about the medium format cameras. Which one would you recommend to start with and how much would I have to spend? (I don't mind if it is cheap and nasty as long as it is in perfect working condition) What would you buy? I must say that I am not looking at buying one straight way (I am committed to buying some items right now from another member of this forum...so nothing for a while to be honest)

It is that I want to know what I am looking at, I find info and, by the time I finally decide, I have saved (hopefully) enough money to make myself with one.

As always, thanks,

Fer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/some-med-format-advice-t11626.html

Take a look on this thread...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God Attila...that was quick Very Happy

I will have a look and get back with questions...if any Wink

Thanks,
Fer

Attila wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/some-med-format-advice-t11626.html

Take a look on this thread...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLR is best for first Medium format Very Happy
Look for amazing landscapes from Larry and street shoots from Iha.
You can have a nice one for EUR 100 or take a chance for even less.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only bits I can add to the other discussion is a history of how I got into MF, and perhaps what I'd do diffrently or next.

I started with a beat up Franka 4.5x6 folder with a foggy lens my daughter found in the house. How it got there I don't know! Anyway, after a couple of years I figured I'd check the shutter... it worked. Everything else but the lens seemed operational, so we tried some film.

I was hooked.

Next I bought a large-ish Bessa I 6x9 with a 4.5x6 insert, Vaskar lens. Pretty good, but not quite what I had in mind. (I've since learned to collimate the lens so the results should be better...)

I lucked into a pre-war Bessa 66 with a Skopar - this is very nice indeed for vintage. One of my favorite cameras, given its limitations.

I wanted some focus ability. (There are vintage coupled rf folders, but many I found difficult to peer through)

So I went TLR. First a Diacord - excellent lens, well made camera. Then, a Yashica Mat 124G fully reconditioned. Good lens too, and a meter. My daughter loves these! They are light and solid cameras. And good images in modern (not just vintage) terms.

So what am I missing? These all have fixed lenses... it would be nice to be able to change a lens. The TLRs are excellent but boxy, the folders fit into pockets but take a bit of thought with focus etc.

Most of the MF SLRs I've seen / felt are large and heavy. Yeah, I could get used to one, but so far I'm a bit intimidated.

But there are some range finder MF's out there - some with interchangeable lenses. Fuji made some very nice ones, fixed lens ones. I'm coveting one of these. Mamiya made/makes some very nice interchangeable lens ones, a bit more money, but very tempting to me.

Finally, there's the new Cosina/Voigtlander/Fuji folder coming out. Serious lust for that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andy's recommendation for TSLR as getting into MF arena.
You can get Yashica Mat 124G or Minolta Autocord (III), Rollei-flexes are
good/better but more expensive these days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had only one experience with TLR, Rolleiflex Planar 3,5 for 3 or 4 years.

It's so heavy for my, I need always a tripod. If I could handheld, no more SLR to me.

I never try the voigtlander folder or agfa ones. It's seems to me that is difficult to the lens to be parallel to the focal plane. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica MAT is lightweight Rhino, no problem to use handheld.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yashica MAT is lightweight Rhino, no problem to use handheld.

I never use it, I will try. I hear that the yashinon is very good at F/8, 11 and 16. (better at F/11?).

Regards, RINO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/yashica_mat_124g/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/yashica_mat_124g/