Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which lens do you like for the bokeh?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...
I've only used Volna-9 wide open....my bad.

Rokkor 58 wide open....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Leica Sumilux-R 50(E55) @f.4

Or MC Rokkor-PG 58/1.2 @f2.0 one hour ago in Toronto (2008/12/19, 4p.m.)

Any one of these are superb normal lens IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 300mm/f.5.6 Reply with quote

The bokek of this 300mm was a surprise

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the bokeh of that Summilux, Koji.
Is it the first or second versino that you have?

-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

distagon 28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volna seems like a great lens to own!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all of my friends for sharing your great pictures.

I've just received Helios 40-2 85mm f1.5 and I'll go to some province in hill for a trip. I'll be back a couple of days and meet you again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Congrats for both! I look forward your samples!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Love the bokeh of that Summilux, Koji.
Is it the first or second versino that you have?

-

It is the second version (E55 and ROM), one before the current model
of E60 Sumilux-R 50. Some prefer this E55 over E60, but
I cannot afford to test the both. E60 is definitely sharper than E55.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 2.8/135

Distagon 2.0/28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Pentacon 135mm! Superb sample!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Smile, once again Pentacon 135

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love green bokeh so much Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I love green bokeh so much Embarassed

Me too Rolling Eyes
It's like painting with colors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is ! Beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
mUg wrote:

On an italian forum i've seen a photo taken with a Voigtlander Lanthar 180 APO, it seemed nice to me.

I agree, Voigtländer 180mm f/4 APO Lanthar is a cream machine, I like mine very much.

More photos taken with this lens here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/sets/72157605301652112/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very nice!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best loved bokeh-babies:

Elgeet 3inch 1.9

Enna Werk Munchen Tele-Zoom 85-250mm F4
I know that there are some sensor dust. But I am to lazy to edit... Smile

/Jan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice captures!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wormhandler wrote:
My best loved bokeh-babies:

Elgeet 3inch 1.9

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/557_Elgeet1_1.jpg

Shocked Shocked Shocked

how does the lens look-like?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios-40-2 1,5/85 ...
At f/4 :

I'm modifying the mount of my Schneider TV-Xenon 2/100 (22 blades diaphragm) in T2 standard (It hag a modified Arri mount in Minolta MD and don't focus to infinity) Not so difficult with a lathe and mill equiped friend ....

And , of course , the two bokeh monsters , Orestegor 135 preset 15 blades zebra , and the "pentacon" version...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 Ai

better viewed large size

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing, and am continuing to conduct a lot of research in the field of characteristic bokehs by various lenses. Not necessarily the 'smoothest', but just for lenses that do it to one extreme or another in some identifiable manner.

I'll post a sample of some of my favourite lenses for bokeh, not necessarily in any order of preferrence.

Voigtlander Nokton f1.4 -

- Nokton highlights easily, but in a subdued way. Soft, gentle glow from f2 - 1.4, a diffusion of contrast near perfect focus area which can add a very dream-like effect. Very water-color style painting type.

Voigtlander Lanthar 125/2.5 -

- The Lanthar has a very laid-back bokeh. Rarely does it pop out of place in an image, being very well controlled. Transistion to oof even at extreme close up, wide open still seems very gentle and linear. If the Lanthar is extraordinary in some way, it is extraordinarily pleasant.

Zeiss Planar T*85/1.4 -

- The Planar is quite distinct, even among the Zeiss I have used. It resists bokeh highlights like no other, they can be formed, but are very subdued. Very shallow depth of field of course, but the bokeh is always controlled, rarely distracting. Bokeh has a mottled, oil-painting type quality to it.

Zeiss Distagon T*25/2.8 -

- This Distagon has a split personality. Solid wide angle when stopped down, and as a quasi macro in-close, wide-open. It can focus to 1:2.3 life scale, larger than many so-called 'macros' out there. Bokeh is neutral and a bit subdued. Its nice, but not extreme. In very close, it can take on a mild swirl effect as the lack of floating element to correct for distortions at the closest focusing distances is revealed.

Zeiss Biotar 75/1.5

- This lens is new to me, but its clear that the main attraction here is its swirly, cats-eye bokeh when wide open. Thats to Luis, I'll soon have an adapter to properly mount this lens (right now I'm just holding it to the body). More to come on this one.

Meyer-Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8 -

- Here shooting the Zeiss 85, this lens has a very strong personality wide open. Bokeh highlights take on a hollowed ring appearance and occur at the first hint of light. Some may find this distracting, but if you are looking for a lens that will give you something surprising each time, this is the one. Its bokeh is very busy and lively yet can take on a painterly quality as well. In focus area tends to have a soft diffusion of contrast leading to a pale glow.

Super-Takumar 50/1.4

- Unlike other fast 50's I've personally used, the Super-Tak really holds a distinct point of focus even wide open. It has the most defined and contrasty rendering at 1.4 of any I've tried. This can be great for shots requiring strong detail to accompany shallow DoF. Bokeh is quite pleasant. A well corrected optic producing reliably predictable oof areas.

Tomioka based 55/1.2s -

- Huge cats-eye highlights can lead to center weighted swirl effect at wider apertures when highlights are present, bokeh is ready available to extreme at closer shooting distances and highlights are easy to invoke. Dreamy, thick and often overpowering bokeh.

More later!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely samples!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
More later!

Very informative and interesting, not to mention great photos. Can't wait for the sequel.