Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which FF DSLR is most accomodating to m42 and m39 MF lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Which FF DSLR is most accomodating to m42 and m39 MF lenses? Reply with quote

Not just new cameras, but including cameras which are readily available in the used marketplace.

My Nikon D750 is, due to long register length, pretty much limited to use with F mount manual focus lenses. I understand that Canon FF DSLRs are a bit more forgiving, but there is mirror interference preventing normal use of faster normal primes, e.g. M43 Takumar 50 1.4. My Sigma SD15 is fun to use with M42 to Sigma to A adapter, but the position of the infrared filter/screen prevents infinity focus with many M42 lenses.

I know the Sony A, mirrorless cameras accomodate just about anything, but I am pretty attached to OVF.

Do the Sony A850 and/or the A900 allow unrestricted use of most M42 or M 39 lenses when adapters are attached? Are there mirror interference and/or infinity focus issues with these cameras as well?

Best regards,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using an A850 and so far I don't have any mirror hit issue with any M42 lens. Can't comment on M39 since I only have 1 such lens. The only issue with M42 on Sony A series is, unless you can "block" the flange of your M42 lens, you will not be able to use it other than wide open. There is no adapter for M42 adapter for A mount that have the "block" feature.

The 5D series have the mirror hitting problem with some of the M42 lens. Some time using liveview might solve the problem. Do note that the 5D classic does not have a liveview though. You can also go for the 1Ds series which I read do not have the mirror hitting problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see the great write up on using M42 ( and other manual lenses ) on a Sony A mount camera by our member Arkku:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/sony_alpha/discuss/72157608288010526/

M39 lenses cannot be used on any SLR, the only digital FF cameras they can be used with are Leica M rangefinder cameras and the mirrorless Sony A7 series of cameras, the later of course don't have an optical but electronic VF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

M39 lenses cannot be used on any SLR, the only digital FF cameras they can be used with are Leica M rangefinder cameras and the mirrorless Sony A7 series of cameras, the later of course don't have an optical but electronic VF

Unless the lenses are M39SLR lenses, just like some Russian ones.

Generally, M42 lenses are for SLRs and M39 for rangefinder cams. But as said there are still som M39SLR lenses around.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to Arrku's writing on the subject. It is very helpful, and exactly what I was looking for.

Best regards,