Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which are your "regular" lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, can you do me a favour?

This thread is supposed to be about your regularly used lenses.
Could you please stick to this topic and open a Medium Format thread somewhere else?

It's getting a little confusing here, some people are talking about this others about that.

"Hugh, moderator has spoken!"

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any moderator can split this thread for more clarity... Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words. The Voigtländer 125/2.5 is a superb (manual) lens that I have been using a lot lately.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Any moderator can split this thread for more clarity... Cool

OK, just did it.

You can find the Medium Format hints here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=3197

And the Brunei shots here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=3198

Thanks for your understanding...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
... Well...maybe NOT because it looks like even "young" 36 year old guys have been delving into purely manual film imaging too! Smile ...

"Young"? Oh, thank you. Wink

Yes, I did quite a lot processing and darkroom developing myself, when I worked as a freelancer for a local newspaper in 1990/91. There was no affordable digital equipment these days, not even for an editorial office.
I exclusively used Ilford HP4 and HP5+ in my Ricoh KR-10x, since this film is very forgiving when you do your own developing. Wink

Although we were under a certain pressure to get the pics ready early enough, it was great fun to do that. And I had a wonderful mentor, a subeditor who showed me (most of) his darkroom tricks. Very Happy

But I have only worked in a darkroom twice since 1991. Sad

The school where I work still has got one, perhaps I should ask our arts teacher... Cool

OK now, back to the lens lists. At that time my lens list reas like that:
- Rikenon 3.4-4.5/35-70 Zoom Macro
... that's it. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the off-topic posts and thanks to the moderator for moving them. To get back on topic, here's a list of my most used manual focus lenses for 35mm SLRs:

- Tamron Adaptall SP 17/3.5 (OK from F/5.6 but beware of flare)
- Super-Takumar 20/4.5 (not so good on film but quite OK on crop format digital SLRs)
- Super-Takumar 24/3.5 (good lens)
- Arax Shift&Tilt 35/2.8 (not overly sharp wide open but sooo useful, especially on digital)
- Porst 55/1.2 (the famous Tomioka-built super-fast lens)
- SMC Takumar 85/1.8 (surprisingly sharp and contrasty, even wide open)
- Voigtländer Macro Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5 (superb lens)
- Tamron SP 180/2.5 (very good lens)
- Tamron SP 300/2.8 (very good but too heavy to carry around)

Of course, this list tends to vary according to the new acquisitions. I also like to experiment with very old lenses (mostly Heliar and Rapid Rectilinear types) but I wouldn't say they are part of my most used kit Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tamron Adaptall SP 17/3.5 (OK from F/5.6 but beware of flare)
- Super-Takumar 20/4.5 (not so good on film but quite OK on crop format digital SLRs)
- Super-Takumar 24/3.5 (good lens)
- Arax Shift&Tilt 35/2.8 (not overly sharp wide open but sooo useful, especially on digital)
- Porst 55/1.2 (the famous Tomioka-built super-fast lens)
- Voigtländer Macro Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5 (superb lens)
- Tamron SP 300/2.8 (very good but too heavy to carry around)

Can I ask you samples to mflenses.com/gallery with these lenses ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Porst 55/1.2 Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
I got one of those a few months back but haven't used it a lot yet (I need to sort out its lazy aperture blades) - do you have an example pictures using that as I'd be interested in seeing them.

Here you are (wide open):

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Can I ask you samples to mflenses.com/gallery with these lenses ?

I will post samples in the Gallery in the next few days. I have a bunch of recent pictures from Bali taken with these lenses, but I have to find some time to make a decent selection.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most used lenses are:

Pentax-A 50mm f1.7

Jupiter-9 85mm f2

Kiron 105mm f2.8

and an AF lens: Tamron 28-200mm XR when I can only take 1 lens. but this is about to be replaced by a Sigma EX 28-70mm f2.8

2 lenses I'd like to use more often, but for some reason don't have the time/oppurtunity:

Pentacon 200/4
Tamron SP 60-300mm

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Porst 55/1.2 Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
niblue wrote:
I got one of those a few months back but haven't used it a lot yet (I need to sort out its lazy aperture blades) - do you have an example pictures using that as I'd be interested in seeing them.

Here you are (wide open):

Cheers!

Abbazz

Wow!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

That looks fantastic!

---------------

Nice lenses, LL!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Veijo, every time I open one of your messages, I thank God that you're here. You're a constant source of inspiration and to see these old lenses revived and see what you can produce with them today, is every time a thrill!

I can't wait to see your new old RR in real action!

BTW the pink roses shot is stunning, both for colour and for the incredible bokeh.

You know, words like that put undue pressure on me, almost an obligation to perform Confused Thanks anyway Smile

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LL, did you really have to grind the Planar 1.7/50 and Distagon 2.8/28 in order to mount them on your 5D?

That's very strange - I do not have to.

I wonder if my 5D is somehow different? Confused

-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veijo, those images posted above are from the RR? If so...wow!

I particulary like the sort of golden glow and the color-rendering. An example of what I'm talking about is the first image, with the beautiful yellow/umber wall in the background. It is a sort of "gaussian blur" effect with that outstanding lens.

Looking at all of these, and especially the image of the roses, I get a distinct character and "feel" for the lens's capability to render an almost painterly image.

Very, very interesting, and a thrill for me to see your results. I acknowledge my awe to your tenacity in taking the time to bring these to the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Porst 55/1.2 Reply with quote

niblue wrote:
I got one of those a few months back but haven't used it a lot yet (I need to sort out its lazy aperture blades)

What would you use the aperture blades for on such a lens? Wink

niblue wrote:
How have you found the quality stopped down?

Not really. I always use it wide open. It exhibits quite a fair amount of chromatic aberration -- which shows on certain subjects, like on the picture you posted -- but, apart from that, it's a fine lens at f/1.2 and quite sharp. Don't worry about the quality stopped down and enjoy this lens at full aperture, like it is meant to be.

It remains me of these guys discussing bokeh on some forums. There is always one of them stating that lens X has much poorer bokeh than lens Y when used wide open, because lens X has only 5 aperture blades, while lens Y has 8 Laughing

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Veijo, those images posted above are from the RR? If so...wow!

Thanks Smile

Quote:
I particulary like the sort of golden glow and the color-rendering. An example of what I'm talking about is the first image, with the beautiful yellow/umber wall in the background. It is a sort of "gaussian blur" effect with that outstanding lens.

It isn't yet possible to say much about the real glow. Like every uncoated lens, the RR will have some light scattering due to internal reflections, and the bokeh may tend to Gaussian due to spherical aberration, but only photos taken in better light will tell for sure. It is especially difficult to say anything definite on the basis of down-sampled examples. I was shooting at the full aperture, but it is f/8, which will give a deeper DOF than in my other photos of the same subject, and it also seems the focus is way past the statue so the building is rather well in focus. There is some noise due to the 350D and some additional noise due to lens flare - I didn't use a lens hood so there was a lot of stray light hitting the lens. Here is a 100% crop from the photo, no PP except pushing the ISO 400 exposure 0.75 stops:

Quote:
Looking at all of these, and especially the image of the roses, I get a distinct character and "feel" for the lens's capability to render an almost painterly image.

Here very much depends also on the composition, the choice of the distance between the roses and the background. Many lenses would have quite good a bokeh at f/8, much better than at wider apertures.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Guys, can you do me a favour?

This thread is supposed to be about your regularly used lenses.
It's getting a little confusing here, some people are talking about this others about that.

Despite all your interesting posts, may I just iterate that? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a separate thread on "Irregular lenses"?

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Which are your "regular" lenses? Reply with quote

I'm one of those quys who doesn't yet have a huge arsenal of lenses at my disposal (time will probably change that though).

That said my bag contains all my lenses etc.

Of those my 3 regulars are:
50mm 1:2 MD ( I want something quicker though - but otherwise the optics I love)
135 mm 1:2.8 Auto Image ( for no name/store brand - I love it)
TAMRON ADAPTALL-2 F/2.5 telemacro 80-210mm ( the more i use it the more I like it.)