Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which 300mm lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Which 300mm lens? Reply with quote

The diaphragm of my 3s Tair was destroyed .... I don't think I can recover it Crying or Very sad .
We advise you some 300mm lens with the same quality of Tair? Should I try something else or buy it again?
Thanks for the help ....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you looking for M42 lens only due you have a Sony camera.

My suggestion is next:

All lenses have samples on forum and in mflenses.com/gallery.

Another Tair.. excellent lens others will be not better.

SMC Takumar 300mm f4 , short , light weight
Tamron SP 300mm f5.6 short, light weight
CZJ Sonnar 300mm f4 any version I prefer MC and Olympic
Pentacon 300mm f4
Meyer 300mm f4

I didn't like tokina, vivitar , komine etc lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila for the fast response. I looked at the samples several times and my impression is that the Tair, if not the best, is still among the top .... Wink
I just wanted a confirmation .... Smile
I think they will buy again .... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Tair would be my suggestion, cannot be bettered for the price imho.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.... I agree, the price for the quality he has, is low..... Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I paid 35ukp for mine and I would be happy if I'd paid 10x that much, I like it so much, I have grown to actually like the weight of the thing, makes it so easy to hold it steady.

Just about to go shoot the full moon with my Tair, I'll post a sample shortly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm terrible at moon shots and the Prinz Galaxy 3x TC I added to my Tair didn't help but I did manage this:

No PP at all apart from increasing brightness a bit, as it came out of the camera. The TC has added some CA around the edges of the moon that is not there with the Tair on it's own.

Same shot cropped at 100% and with some noise reduction to get rid of that CA, no sharpening as when I tried to sharpen it it just made the noise more visible. I find the EOS 10D produces very noisy images, even at ISO 100.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I have found that shooting the full moon is exasperating. The final images always seem to lack contrast. Catch the half moon though and it's much better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How badly damaged is the aperture? Are some of the blades bent? If only one or two blades are damaged, I would try rebuilding it with those blades missing. The lens should still work satisfactorily.

I had a blade come loose on one of my TAIRs. Fortunately, I spotted it before it got damaged and was able to rebuild the aperture without too much trouble. The picture below is with the loose blade removed and the aperture closed. The effect of the missing blade is less obvious wider open. This is the view from the camera side. The rotating part of the aperture housing (just visible on the right) sits inside this bit. The upward facing pins on the blades fit in the guide slots of the rotating part. The trickiest bit is getting these pins in a position where they all fit in the guide slots at once, but it is possible to fiddle individual blades whilst the rotating part is partly in place.

The picture also shows there is some oily gunge on the blades. I think this is why the blade came out. The design is not very good and the fixed and rotating parts of the aperture body are not held together very securely. Thus, if the blades are sticky, I think the extra friction is sufficient to pull the blade guide pin out of the guide slot. A word of warning then to anyone with a Tair-3 and oily blades - clean them before the aperture falls apart!

With regard to my TAIR, I was able to insert the loose blade without removing all the other blades and then I cleaned them in situ with by swabbing the worst of the muck away with acetone and then sitting the blades in a bath of propanol to wash away as much of the oil as I could. This is not a perfect way of cleaning them, but I didn't want to remove all 16 blades to clean them individually!

Mark

PS. If the aperture is too badly damaged, I would still go for another TAIR-3 as a replacement 300mm lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterhouse stops?

Some are for sale on eBay, possibly not the right size.

Easily home made though?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Ian, I have found that shooting the full moon is exasperating. The final images always seem to lack contrast. Catch the half moon though and it's much better.

Aye, the world's wobbliest tripod didn't help either! I was just pleased to have managed something, prior attempts were not a success!

I think I'll leave the astro work to the experts like yourself...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Aye, the world's wobbliest tripod didn't help either! I was just pleased to have managed something, prior attempts were not a success!

Yeah, get a good tripod - well worth it.
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I think I'll leave the astro work to the experts like yourself...

Would that it were true........... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a heavy huge theodolite tripod for 35 quid new, just need to get a nice big Manfrotto or Gitzo 3d head for it now. I will mostly be using it for panoramas and in Cumbria it is always windy so the heavier and more solid the tripod, the better. Not looking forward to carrying it around with me though!

The voyage from amateur to expert is along the road of practice my friend!

Having said that, I can't see me doing much more moon work, I just don't have the right lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here for something to aspire to..... and here for some decent kit Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear god, that first shot is incredible!

The kit is far beyond my aspirations I'm afraid!

However, I have been on the lookout for a very long APO repro lens in the 600mm+ range, not cheap but you do sometimes see them on ebay fairly cheap.

I might try the moon again if I get one, have to mount it on a long cardboard tube!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw footprints! That first moon shot is superb.

To the op, I would look for another Tair, although I have also got a Soligor 300 f5.5 that is smaller and lighter than the Tair, but most lenses are, and it's not a bad lens for the price. I paid about £20 for mine in excellent condition.
The Tair is slightly sharper, but the Soligor is a lens that I am pleased with.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
See here for something to aspire to.....

Oh yes, THAT is a moon shot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hmm, I'm terrible at moon shots and the Prinz Galaxy 3x TC I added to my Tair didn't help but I did manage this:

No PP at all apart from increasing brightness a bit, as it came out of the camera. The TC has added some CA around the edges of the moon that is not there with the Tair on it's own.

Same shot cropped at 100% and with some noise reduction to get rid of that CA, no sharpening as when I tried to sharpen it it just made the noise more visible. I find the EOS 10D produces very noisy images, even at ISO 100.

Ian: If that first moon shot is from the camera without crop, then the 100% is suspect. More importantly, I think that shot could have been better had it not been for movement. I suffer greatly from vibration when using my big Meyer. My tripod is nothing great, but is really taxed by the big lens. I would imagine had I attached a 3x converter it would have been much worse. I found that I could not use my finger to release the shutter without significant movement, so I put the release on a two second timer. Still, the action of the mirror causes some vibration. Unfortunately I do not have mirror lock-up, but perhaps you do, so that along with the timer might help dramatically.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the first is uncropped.

Vibration was the problem, I couldn't find my cable release and if I used a faster shutter speed to avoid the vibration I would have had to use one of the higher ISO settings and that is a big no-on with my 10D as it is very noisy indeed.

I need to sort out the support for the lens/camera combo before trying again.

I forget what shutter speed that shot is at now, but not high enough to avoid vibration, I think that's why it's lacking sharpness more than anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my new Nikon 300/4.5 AI ED out today

above is handheld-----here a crop:

100:

it's very touchy at infinity, and even when you hit the focus, the atmosphere is always playing around Sad

Last edited by uhoh7 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yes, the first is uncropped.

Vibration was the problem, I couldn't find my cable release and if I used a faster shutter speed to avoid the vibration I would have had to use one of the higher ISO settings and that is a big no-on with my 10D as it is very noisy indeed.

I need to sort out the support for the lens/camera combo before trying again.

I forget what shutter speed that shot is at now, but not high enough to avoid vibration, I think that's why it's lacking sharpness more than anything else.

Ian: My point about the crop is that I don't know how that can be a 100% crop as it uses too much of the original frame to be cropped that much. A 100% should have shown a much smaller portion of the original image.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try clicking on them then it's obvious it's a crop, the forum resizes the images, doesn't it.

The original is only 6MP.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian: There is a misunderstanding somewhere. Taking your original image of 3072x2048 pixels and cropping it at 100%, the result should be this:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood the 100% crop. 100% is all of the image and if you crop that there will be nothing left.

Anyway, to the OP, get another Tair. I have a good one this time and use it instead of my Tamron 300 which is waaaaaaay light but CA is horrible. I use the Tamron on B&W film only.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, and that means I'm probably wrong, a 100% crop of an image means a 1:1 ratio between the image pixels and the pixels in the monitor you are viewing it on. Thus, a 1280 x 1024 monitor displays a 1280 x 1024 picture at 100%.

A 100% crop of a 3072x2048 image means zooming in until you see a 1280 x 1024 crop of it. Of course, at the same zoom level, you can then take a 640x480 section of that image (or any other convenient size) and that is also a 100% crop !!!! Gawd, no wonder it's confusing!

A lot simpler to zoom until photoshop tells you it's 100% and then take a crop of that!

Of course, all this means that a 100% crop to one person, is only a 100% crop to another, if they have the same monitor resolution Twisted Evil