Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help me choose a new digital camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Help me choose a new digital camera Reply with quote

I've been shooting Sony digital cameras ever since I upgraded from a Canon point&shoot. First A100, then NEX-5, then NEX-6. The 6 looks like it's going to be on its way out soon, and will have to be replaced. Ideally I'd like an A7 series camera, like A7II, but that's not going to happen any time soon (who has 2000+ moneys to spare for a hobby?!?) Various Fujis look very atractive to me, but every single review site on the internet says Sony is better, at least from a technological point of view. But I have a feeling this is mainly because of reasons I don't care about (video) and reasons I care little about (autofocus and tracking) and many reviews say that as a photographic tool any given Fuji is actually a better camera. I'd like to ask those of you who have shot with both Sony and Fuji cameras and who have possibly switched from one system to the other, what would be your recommendation from a mostly adapted legacy manual focus lens user point of view? Stay with Sony or go to Fuji?

Things that are somewhat important to me:

- Good manual focus experience. Usable manual focus assists with easy access. All photographic settings directly accessible via buttons, dials, etc.
- Rangefinder style body prefered to SLR type (EVF in the top left rather than in the middle), but not a major issue.
- At least tiltable LCD is essential.
- Silent operation. The Sonys I've used are all very loud. Ideally I'd like a fully electronic shutter option.
- Regarding megapixels I'd actually prefer 16MP over 24+ as I don't usually print big.
- Solid kit lens for those times when an autofocus zoom is more convenient than what we usually shoot with.

If I stay with Sony I have basically nowhere to go. The 6300 is too much money and there's no affordable standard zoom option beyond the 16-50 PZ that doesn't appeal to me (the old 18-55 isn't good, 16-70 is too expensive and gets bad reviews and the 18-105 is huge and expensive). The 6000 on the other hand feels more like a downgrade then an upgrade. The A7 series as I said is out of the question. That leaves nothing.

In Fuji land there seem to be a few attractive options according to my research. Primarily X-T10 and X-E2s, perhaps more, I don't know (so many models). My question is what are the main differences for a manual focus user? Are there any outstanding functional omissions on these models compared to the higher end ones that are absolutely necessary for good MF experience? Those of you who have an X-T10 or X-E2(s), do these cameras actually work well for MF or are there any small problems that might not be so obvious?

As you can guess I'm leaning on the side of Fuji but that comes purely from reading reviews and it would mean I'd have to change the whole system (I have a few emount lenses, some bateries, flash, adapters, etc). It'd be much more convenient for me to stay with Sony. Can anyone here who has handled cameras from both brands confirm that an a6300 or a6000 is actually as good as or better than an X-T10 or X-E2 or X-E2s? Or is the effort that is required to change systems worth it?

Any help and advice will be much appreciated. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A6000 is an great camera, and now it's officially superseded by the A63000 there will surely be some serious price reductions. I really like mine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your budget? I bought my a7 for £650, second hand but with only 1300 clicks on it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The A6000 is an great camera, and now it's officially superseded by the A63000 there will surely be some serious price reductions. I really like mine.

The problem is that that's not quite true as far as I know. As I understand the A6000 and A6300 are supposed to be concurrent models in different classes / price segments. Have you ever handled a NEX-6 or is the A6000 your first Sony? I wonder how the A6000 compares to NEX-6 because I read in various reports that it's a step back in build quality, has a smaller viewfinder, etc. It's also cheaper than the 6 was. I don't know anyone near me who owns an A6000 and the electronics shops here don't have such "high end" models in stock so that I could see in person.

SonicScot wrote:
What is your budget? I bought my a7 for £650, second hand but with only 1300 clicks on it.

Wow, that's a great price! Sadly there are virtually none on the used market locally and I somehow don't trust to put so much money to ebay etc. There could be a few months before I actually buy anything so I can save until then, so perhaps around 700-800€ would be my budget (800 already stretching it). There's a used Fuji X-T10 with 18-55/2.8-4 on offer locally for 800, so that would fit nicely. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I agree with Loyd, the A6000 is fantastic, I've had the Nex 3, 5, 6 and A5000 and the A6000 is my favourite hands down, the improvement in menu is great and the EVF even though it has a lower pixel count is better to use in my opinion, I suppose because of the faster refresh rate.

The quality of it feels flimsy but only because it's alot lighter, I would say it will be just as rugged as the A6000. before you swop over, I would suggest you find one to give it a try, you most likely won't be sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic , I'll follow it ...I used Nex 3 and now a5000 a clear step back in menu and mf ease to use (for me ).If that is the same for the 6 to a6000....I am also oscillating because the limited lens offer in sony e mount in AF .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input so far guys. Smile The Fujis look so tempting but the price and the effort required to change systems... I think I'll wait and wait and wait until some day my nex-6 dies and then I'll have no choice but to just go for it. Razz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wait and wait and wait plan will most likely be the cheapest way for you to proceed. It is, in fact, the same process I'm following.

A couple years ago, I had some extra money to spend on gear and, as much as I wanted one, I just couldn't justify the expense of an A7-series Sony. I really wanted a full frame camera, but I didn't want to buy a DSLR, so I was kinda stuck. But I needed a better camera, so I compromised and bought a NEX 7. Yep, the good old NEX 7, the origianl 24.3mp Sony mirrorless. Mine came with the kit lens and I obtained the outfit for quite a bit less than half what a new one would have cost.

My biggest complaint regarding the APS-C E-mount Sonys is a lack of lens variety -- or at least AF lens variety. I would really like to have a long AF zoom that reaches out to 300mm. I see that Sony is finally offering one. For $1100, which is way too steep for my budget. That's more than twice what I paid for my NEX 7 outfit. So I'm hoping an aftermarket producer, like Tamron, will offer something similar in E-mount one day soon. In the mean time, I continue to use mf lenses.

Now, as for a full-frame camera, here's my plan. I'll be content to wait until the A7 II becomes old tech and then I'll look for a clean used one. The A7 II's 24.3mp is plenty for my needs. So I'm just gonna sit tight and wait and wait and wait . . .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Now, as for a full-frame camera, here's my plan. I'll be content to wait until the A7 II becomes old tech and then I'll look for a clean used one. The A7 II's 24.3mp is plenty for my needs. So I'm just gonna sit tight and wait and wait and wait . . .

That sounds like a good plan. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I am late for the party Smile

I am in love with the A7 system and would (if I were in your shoes) try to get one. A7 Mk. II is indeed expensive. Or is it? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/401199101503?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) But you can pick up A7 original in a good used condition for around $700. That's about what a Fuji system will cost you new. The advantage of the A7 (in my eyes) is the versatility - you can put any damn full-frame lens on it![/url]