Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's your favourite 28??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try the Pentax K 28 f3.5 ( 8 elements) . It shines on the A7.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure back in the day, no-one expected smooth bokeh, or much bokeh at all, from a wide angle lens. We were always told to use a telephoto lens for that. But, my Nikkor 28mm f2 AIS is capable of good background separation, especially good for closer objects. Also, like all my pro MF Nikkors, sharp from wide open. But the backgrounds are not always restful; sometimes this can be fun!

Tulip by JamesNewman, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favourite 28?? Reply with quote

SMC Pentax ("K") 28/2 for me -

[shot with my favorite macro, the Tokina ATX 90/2.5]

[wide open at f/2] [resized and compressed only]
http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/k282/20150711_125619_original.jpg [<-- link to unprocessed original of above]

EDIT: I was in the process of posting the above when Basilisk posted his/hers, and I chuckled over his/her comments about 28/2 bokeh:

Basilisk wrote:
I am sure back in the day, no-one expected smooth bokeh, or much bokeh at all, from a wide angle lens. We were always told to use a telephoto lens for that. But, my Nikkor 28mm f2 AIS is capable of good background separation, especially good for closer objects. Also, like all my pro MF Nikkors, sharp from wide open. But the backgrounds are not always restful; sometimes this can be fun!

Also, a "Fun Fact": The Pentax K 28/2 is the "Hollywood sibling" of the Zeiss 28/2 Distagon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The f3.5 pentax 28's get the best ratings. I acquired the "K" series SMC 28mm f3.5 a couple of months ago. My copy is a bit of a curates egg. I take pics at f3.5 and think wow that's really good now just wait till I stop down to f8, f11... and then I am distinctly underwhelmed!
So I bid on another 28 3.5, it was a poorly described charity listing with an incorrect photo and when it arrived it proved to be the "M" series 28mm f3.5. Still, now I have both! Smile

In use I have found it difficult to discriminate between them so far. The rain stopped so I was just trying some flower pics, but efforts to get some luminous droplets didn't work out too well .. you'll just have to make do with a lily. "M" top, "K" below, f3.5, cropped a bit, pentax K5.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
The f3.5 pentax 28's get the best ratings.

Well, the K and M 28/3.5's are indeed very highly rated, but, at least in the Pentax Forums, the K and M 28/2's are rated just a wee bit higher -

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F2-Lens.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-28mm-F2-Lens.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starblitz 2.8/28mm on a 10D. Resized and that's all.

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used a few 28mm lenses, but my favourite from them is the Pentacon 28mm f2.8 (which says how crap the other lenses in question are Laughing). It's really quite soft wide open but sharpens up nicely at f5.6-f8. Using it on the a7s I got recently the corners do seem quite poor, however, even at f/8. Hopefully my new Minolta 28mm f2.8 will blow this one out of the water.

A few samples (took this lens with me to Switzerland on holiday last week):

On APS-C (400D):

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of cool 28s up there Smile

Main Street by unoh7, on Flickr

Yellow Lake Circ by unoh7, on Flickr

Kadletz Creek by unoh7, on Flickr

Just my crappy ol 28 cron Wink

Here's one with no editing at all, straight from M9:

Golden Trailer by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my first couple of years as a photographer, I got by with an Albinar 28mm f/2.8, which I finally admitted to myself wasn't a very good lens, since it seemed I just wasn't able to get nice, sharp images with it. But before I finally sold it, I had bought a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom and that pretty much put the final nail in that Albinar's coffin. The Vivitar zoom worked so well at 28mm, I never used the Albinar anymore. Honestly, at 28mm, I would compare that old Vivitar 28-90 to a good prime any day. So that became my 28mm.

However, after I'd been an active photographer for about three years, I bought my first 24mm prime -- a Canon nFD 24mm f/2.8 -- and that cinched it for me where wide angle primes were concerned. I liked the 24mm so much more than 28mm that, after I sold my Albinar 28mm, I didn't even bother replacing it with another prime. I had the Vivitar, and that was plenty good enough. And if I wanted to get serious about wide-angle shots, I'd mount my 24mm and enjoy the additional expanse and, well, drama that a 24mm provides over a 28mm.

These days, I've wound up with 28mm primes as components to outfits I've bought and I just haven't gotten around to selling all of them yet. So currently I own a Nikkor AIs 28mm f/2.8 and a Canon nFD 28mm f/2.8. I consider both to be excellent lenses and basically equivalent, but I don't use either. I use my 24s instead.

There are a couple of other 28s that I don't own but I can most likely vouch for because I have close equivalents to them built by the same manufacturers:

I own a Tamron 24mm f/2.5, which I've tested against my Nikkor AIs 24mm f/2.8 and my Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 SSC. Both the Nikkor and Canon are excellent optics and the Tamron is every bit as good as they are. So, based on these findings, I would expect the Tamron 28mm f/2.5 to be just as good.

I alson own a Vivitar 35mm f/1.9, which I bought before the eBay crowd had discovered it, meaning I was able to pick it up for something like $40 or so. Nowadays, add $100 to that price, and it's a good deal on that lens. I don't know when Vivitar made this lens, but it was probably back during the early 70s because it has an all metal focusing collar with the many longitudinal grooves, which is the same sort of pattern that I find on my Vivitar 200mm f/3.5, which does date to the early 70s (it's in pre-AI Nikon mount). Anyway, my Vivitar 35mm f/1.9 is in Canon FD mount, so I hadn't really put it through its paces -- in fact, I had used it hardly at all -- before buying my Sony NEX 7, where I could really test the lens out. And what I found out was that this 35mm f/1.9 is an amazingly sharp optic. Now, I know Vivitar also built a 28mm f/1.9, so if it is anything like the 35, I can recommend it highly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 I use regularly.
My favourite is probably the Zeiss Contax Distagon (f2.8, MM version) which I use on my 5Dii via adapter.
On the a7ii, the Nikon AIS f2.8, which others have already mentioned, performs admirably, better than my other favoured 28, the G Biogon. I guess, being a non-retro focal design, the Biogon just doesn't work with that sensor. So I keep it strictly for film in the G2.
Each has its own character, and strengths/weaknesses. I can't say one is better than another, and I guess I favour the Dustagin primarily because I favour using the 5dii over the A7ii.
Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:

Well, the K and M 28/3.5's are indeed very highly rated, but, at least in the Pentax Forums, the K and M 28/2's are rated just a wee bit higher -

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F2-Lens.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-28mm-F2-Lens.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

Smile

The 28 3.5 K is sharp , contrasty and has nice colours.
But what strikes me is the homogeneity on a FF sensor.(A7) is that it is sharper on the borders and in the corners than any of my WAs.
On a 24 Mp FF sensor, CA are very low, a rare quality by those legacy WAs.
it is a lens which is very difficult to fault.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distagon 2.8/28 MM, my overall favorite by a good margin.
The MC Rokkor SI 2.8/25 is second in my list.
For the third I can't decide between the kiron 28/2 which i unwisely sold and the mamiya sx 2.8/28.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="memetph"]
fwcetus wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:

. . .

The 28 3.5 K is sharp , contrasty and has nice colours.
But what strikes me is the homogeneity on a FF sensor.(A7) is that it is sharper on the borders and in the corners than any of my WAs.
On a 24 Mp FF sensor, CA are very low, a rare quality by those legacy WAs.
it is a lens which is very difficult to fault.

Quite a few years ago, my wife and I went on a road trip from Southern California to Denver, Colorado. I elected to take a Pentax KX and Pentax lenses for the trip, one of which was a 28mm. I don't recall anymore exactly which flavor it was, but I was deeply impressed by the 28's sharpness and clarity when I got my slides back. They were some of the sharpest slides I'd ever seen. In fact, to this day, they have been some of the sharpest images I've captured on slides. I was shooting Kodachrome 64, which helped some, no doubt. Following are a couple of small images, which are the only ones I have available right now. The first one is about a half stop overexposed, but it is still useful. I wish I had larger images available to show, just so you could see how sharp this slides are.

The Painted Desert, Arizona. Pentax KX, 28mm, Kodachrome 64

From the same trip, a shot of the Petrified Forest, taken to emphasize depth of field. So the f/stop was probably at least f/11. Kodachrome 64.

I went over to the Pentax Forums and read up on the reviews of the 28s there. After reading them, I suspect mine was an f/3.5 model because it got substantially higher marks than the f/2.8 model, and I'm almost positive that I didn't have an f/2. So, yes, I can recommend the Pentax. In fact, it's been my experience that just about all Pentax optics are especially sharp with good clarity, contrast, and color.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

I am awaiting a 1.9/28 X-Fujinon which I am excited to test - and of course am hopeful that it will be a good performer as well.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's jumped to the top 3 28's I use regularly.
X-Fujinon 28/1.9
SMC Pentax K 28/2
Rokkor MC SI 28/2.5

Topcor RE 28/2.8
SMC Pentax K 28/3.5 was on my list to get when the 28/2 fell in my lap, the 30/2.8 was also on the list.
I'd love to try the Leica R 28/2.8 version II, but it's price is insane, the version 1 seems good enough for the near field shots I've used it for, no distant shots with it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

I am awaiting a 1.9/28 X-Fujinon which I am excited to test - and of course am hopeful that it will be a good performer as well.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's jumped to the top 3 28's I use regularly.
X-Fujinon 28/1.9
SMC Pentax K 28/2
Rokkor MC SI 28/2.5

Topcor RE 28/2.8
SMC Pentax K 28/3.5 was on my list to get when the 28/2 fell in my lap, the 30/2.8 was also on the list.
I'd love to try the Leica R 28/2.8 version II, but it's price is insane, the version 1 seems good enough for the near field shots I've used it for, no distant shots with it yet.

Lightshow - you have an X-Fujinon 1.9/28 - yay.
I recently won one of these by chance and am awaiting its arrival.
There is almost nothing on the web about it.
Would you mind sharing your impressions and if you have any, some samples.
I would be most grateful
OH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used a 28mm with a DSLR. When I last shot film, I used a Nikkor 28mm f2.8, like a member mentioned earlier in this thread.

But I also got good results with Soligor 28mm f2.8 C/D in Nikon AI(S?) mount. They are relatively inexpensive small. light, and good handling sleeper?.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took these pics from Conwy town walls today. If I remember right IMGP9810 (top) is the "K" and 9811 the "M" ...Pentax K5, f11, same basic pp from RAW in LR3.6. Note: 3.3MB jpg's

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great pictures, Marcus.

It brings back memories of our visit to Conwy a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I've get my new toy (my first 28 ) - Vivitar 28/2.8 37xxxxx
Some first test photos:

V28/2,8 TestPhoto 01 by Maksym Maksymov, on Flickr

V28/2,8 TestPhoto 02 by Maksym Maksymov, on Flickr

V28/2,8 TestPhoto 03 by Maksym Maksymov, on Flickr

V28/2,8 TestPhoto 07 by Maksym Maksymov, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Max. That's a Tokina made lens and a known good one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples being posted!!

Note to myself: search for Pentax K 28 f/3.5.

There is another big thread on 28mm lenses... have you folks seen this one?

http://forum.mflenses.com/your-best-28-and-how-you-got-there-t45236,start,15.html

I think it's a good idea to cross-post them all for easy reference.
There are two other threads I've read on 28s. One for Soligors and their suppliers.

I've gathered a few in my quest for that 'perfect' 28, after initial disappointments.
Even though there are supporters for the Vivitar 28 f/2.5 by Kino, it's a poor lens. Save your money and avoid it.

The next I tried was also a recommended lens, the Vivitar 28 f/2.8 Close Focus by Komine. This one is significantly better than the Kino f/2.5. I think it's a 5 element design. As the name states, it's great at close range. But the edges are soft whereas the center is very sharp.

I tried the Takumar route with both f/3.5 Super and S-M-C versions. The Super is physically larger than the revised S-M-C. And to my eyes, the Super is better. But it couldn't produce the goods for landscapes.

As cooltouch mentioned, I also have a Series-1 28-90 f/2.8-3.5, and a Kiron 28-105 f/3.5, and they both did better at 28 than the above at landscapes.
But I wanted to shoot primes, and didn't eventually care for Varifocals.

I discovered 28 nirvana with a Konica Hexanon AR 28 f/3.5 EE, the 7 elements in 7 groups version. It's the best 28 to my eyes.

DSC04190a_Konica Hexanon AR 28mm f3.5 EE by wNG 555, on Flickr
sUBURBAN sAFARI 34 by wNG 555, on Flickr
sUBURBAN sAFARI 60 by wNG 555, on Flickr

2nd was a Tokina-made 28mm f/2.8 M42 in Auto-Sears branding. Same as the Vivitar, Soligor, Rikenon, etc version. Also have the Vivitar T4 model of this lens. 8 blades, 7 elements. Both very good!

DSC03606a_Auto Sears 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr
DSC03752a_Auto Sears 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr
DSC03747a_Auto Sears 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

At f/2.8...
DSC03732_Auto Sears 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

3rd is a Minolta MD Celtic 28 f/2.8 with 55mm diameter filter. Also a 7 element 7 group design and the same lens as the W.Rokkor-X.

DSC05926_Minolta MD Celtic 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC05961a_Minolta MD Celtic 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr
Full Moon, Thunderstorms and UFOs 19 by wNG 555, on Flickr

I seem to prefer 7x7, and haven't come across a 5x5 that I like.

Honorable mentions are:

4. Tamron 28mm f/2.5. I found one after enjoying a 24mm f/2.5 01BB immensely. Great edge to edge sharpness but flared more than the other three, otherwise it would be there.

DSC02213a_Tamron 28mm f2.5 02B by wNG 555, on Flickr

5. Acton DX Auto MC 28mm f/2.8. An unknown brand of a Sun Optical lens also sold as a Soligor C/D MC and Osawa. This was a bargain bin surprise. A sharp lens with a warm color rendering.

bARK iS wORSE tHAN iTS bITE by wNG 555, on Flickr

fINAL aPPROACH by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC07652_Aston DX Auto 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC08242_Aston DX Auto 28mm f2.8 by wNG 555, on Flickr

You'd think I'd stop by now!
But I have a Tou Five Star by Toyo Optics on its way, that looks excellent in another thread. And I haven't tried any Toyo lenses yet!
Smile

Last edited by WNG555 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:26 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
If I remember right IMGP9810 (top) is the "K" and 9811 the "M"

Which K 28 and which M 28 ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my test shot with Vivitar 28mm/2.8 Wide angle close focus made by Komine (C/Y mount):

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax K28/3.5 has impressed me a lot.

Tested here on a A7K (Kolari Thin Filter Mod) at f8.

Full Image

Constructing the urban future by jenkwang, on Flickr

Center Crop

Pentax K28 f3.5 at f8 -center by jenkwang, on Flickr

Left Crop

Pentax K28 f3.5 at f8 -left by jenkwang, on Flickr

Right Crop

Pentax K28 f3.5 at f8 -right by jenkwang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:
If I remember right IMGP9810 (top) is the "K" and 9811 the "M"

Which K 28 and which M 28 ?

As in Pentax SMC 28mm f3.5 ("K" series); pentax SMC-M 28mm f3.5 ("M" series), as per my first post where I started discussing the lenses.

I tend to agree with your assessment of the tamron 02B 28mm WNG. The front is relatively recessed, which should in principle help flare - go figure!