Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the nicer rendering and bokeh?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: What's the nicer rendering and bokeh? Reply with quote

Here a little funny comparison...

Which one do you like better and why?

They do have different focal lengths, but it is only about the "drawing"...

Oh well and guess the lenses please, too!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the first (modern zoom lens?) - I'd guess the second was taken with a mirror lens Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
I prefer the first (modern zoom lens?) - I'd guess the second was taken with a mirror lens Wink

I don't use "zoom" lenses Twisted Evil ONLY manual ones. And no AF of course, too Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On these specific shots, and with their current processing, I give the edge to the 1st one.
Different toning etc could tilt the balance in the other direction.

Interesting question though, life is not all about MTF-charts Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the first one on the basis of greater separation of subject/background. The bubble-esque bokeh of the second shot smothers the "subject" as such..

I'd hazard a guess the top one is about a 135 or 200, whereas the bottom is a prime? f/1.8-ish?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
I'd say the first one on the basis of greater separation of subject/background. The bubble-esque bokeh of the second shot smothers the "subject" as such..

I'd hazard a guess the top one is about a 135 or 200, whereas the bottom is a prime? f/1.8-ish?

The bottom shot is, I suspect, taken with a mirror lens. Possibly a Tamron SP 500mm f8 or similar?

Update: After careful consideration I think the first photo may be using a Rubinar 500mm f8 and the second a Tamron SP 500 f8 plus extender.
Wink Rolling Eyes

Last edited by DigiChromeEd on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess both are mirror lenses, top one without any glass elements.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number two has a more interesting output in my eyes compared to #1 which has a more modern rendering Smile

In danger of stepping for out in the salat, I guess a triplet on number two vs double gauss #1, both shot with m43 camera Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZJ Sonnar (or GOI MC Telegoir K) 200mm F2.8 X Rubinar (or Tamron SP) 500mm F8?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rendering in the first is smoother.

I would not put it past Klaus to use the same lens for both shots... used at different ranges. My 500mm F8 Reflex-Nikkor produces images similar to these. Depending on distance to the subject, the secondary mirror will intrude more into the out of focus areas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank you guys for all your input. So it is:

1) Zeiss Jena VISIONAR 1.9/200mm (indeed a double gauss variant lens)
2) Spiratone Minitel-M 5.6/300mm (indeed a Catadioptric lens)

It was a bit unfair (and I could have toned it a little bit to match both better)
as the 2nd shot was shot later in the day with warmer light tones.

For me it was about the the very different drawing of those lenses, having in
mind using them for best BG separation and possibly portrait shooting, as
Attila has done and shown that here also with mirror lenses...

Here again better adjusted:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What interesting shots!

For general photograhy, I agrre with Gott23, that the top would be my choice.

Gott23 wrote:

HOWEVER, I also like the second image because it reminds me of darkroom days when we used to enlarge prints through texture screens, like canvas or linen, which were placed in contact with the printing paper.

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

For me it was about the the very different drawing of those lenses, having in
mind using them for best BG separation and possibly portrait shooting, as
Attila has done and shown that here also with mirror lenses...

I think the rendering is a matter of personal choice, the effect you're after, and the specific background.

Although I also like the 2nd, I can imagine it can get distracting under certain circumstances.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First image as I read made with projection glass Visionar made own part. Smooth trannsition and bluriness in background. Not so typical for many projection glass. As I saw many has special swirly or special bokeh rendering. Maybe in this capture it would be due distance of object to background.
But second bokeh rendering I like in some manner more. Sometimes or in same textures could be not so pleasant, indeed. Because character is what I prefer. If it is possible though. If it is what I need.