Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

So both solutions should work Smile
Great!

When i go back home i'll try both the Telyt 200mm and the Summicron Canada 2/90mm on FF sensor.
From my - still limited - experience with the new Pentax K-1, it seems that the implementation of the Sony FF sensor has no problems with vintage optics.
Quite the contrary, some lenses works well in FF, better than on recent APS-C sensors. Of course a little vignetting and some image degradation near the corners are unavoidable, but so far i'm pleasantly surprised.
Not so good, it fuels my collector's syndrome Smile

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
Thanks!

... it seems that the implementation of the Sony FF sensor has no problems with vintage optics.
Quite the contrary, some lenses works well in FF, better than on recent APS-C sensors.

That was my exerience as well, back in Sept 2008, when the Sony A900 came out. Of course i was "crucified" in the corresponding German Sony forums, because such a thing was "impossible" ... remember, Nikons Hi Res Flagship (called D3) at that time had only 12MP, with clear limitations when using vintage Nikkors...

But heck, you are right, of course.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAMRON Adaptall SP 500mm f8 with a Canon FD mount. Fit on my Fuji XT1. Close of focus of 5-6 feet with a 1:3 magnification. Not a lot of depth of field at the closest focus but the resolution looks okay.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Jupiter 6 to expand my collection of alu finish lenses:

did my usual CLA and here it is:

Really a huge and heavy lens, after i finished the CLA the sun was going down so i had the time for just a few snaps, but they look promising.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Tomas! What did you use if I may ask? I have a Jupiter- 8
coming from 1956 which needs some TLC Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Thank you Klaus! I mostly used steel wool and polishing paste. I also use some micro "dremel" tools, the Jupiter 6 is similar to the Tair 11 in this tutorial of mine:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-11-cla-tutorial-t76571.html

And a tutorial (not mine) for the Jupiter 8 although in Kiev/Contax rf mount:

http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/Jupiter-8%20dismantle.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: 1962 Russian Biotar in good shape Reply with quote

After the pics of other nice lenses with alu barrel, here is my latest acquisition:
Helios-40 1,5/85mm (1962)
made by KMZ?
I will never have the original Biotar, so i kept looking for a russian copy in good conditions.
Most seem to be battered, or heavily polished and/or CLA'ed.
This example is either pristine, or at least very well restored.

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Russian Biotar in good shape Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:

made by KMZ?

this lens has label of KMZ

http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-logos.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Russian Biotar in good shape Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
After the pics of other nice lenses with alu barrel, here is my latest acquisition:
Helios-40 1,5/85mm (1962)
made by KMZ?
I will never have the original Biotar, so i kept looking for a russian copy in good conditions.
Most seem to be battered, or heavily polished and/or CLA'ed.
This example is either pristine, or at least very well restored.

Very nice lens, it looks to me to be pristine, not CLA-ed. Personally i try to avoid over doing my CLA, the "polishig" in particular, after all theses are aluminium lenses not chromed, but after using the steel wool and paste some glossy/mirror effect is unavoidable, good thing is with time it does turn more matt, as the aluminium forms it s own oxidation film, this is why i avoid to use a fine polishing paste as the last step, as i read they leave a slim "protection" layer.

A small advice if i may, i replace the original metal front caps when i use the lens, they scratch the finish, with a plastic one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be hard to find a plastic replacement for the original metal cap since the filter diameter is 66mm...
OT: After a long break from mflens shooping I bought a nice CZJ Tessar (late version) attached to a Praktica L camera.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humulus wrote:
Might be hard to find a plastic replacement for the original metal cap since the filter diameter is 66mm...
OT: After a long break from mflens shooping I bought a nice CZJ Tessar (late version) attached to a Praktica L camera.

A 67 mm cap and a bit of sand paper on the outward "threads" and "ribs", sand off cca 0,5 mm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Thank you Klaus! I mostly used steel wool and polishing paste. I also use some micro "dremel" tools, the Jupiter 6 is similar to the Tair 11 in this tutorial of mine:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-11-cla-tutorial-t76571.html

And a tutorial (not mine) for the Jupiter 8 although in Kiev/Contax rf mount:

http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/Jupiter-8%20dismantle.html

Thanks Tomas! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the 66mm filter threat, you can buy a 66mm to 67mm step up ring. Finding a 67mm filter, hood or cap is not a problem then.

Click here to see on Ebay
It's quite useful since this lens is prone to flare, so a good hood is adviced.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advices, and for supporting my own impression about the state of the lens.
From the pictures i saw some dirt on the fine ribbed ring, which suggests that the lens hasn't been recently cleaned/CLA'ed.
Given the lack of scratches on the barrel and on the glasses, i came to the conclusion that the lens has been well cared for.
As always, the proof will be when i'll finally taste the pudding... Smile
I'm always hesitant to pay market price for a lens i can't check in person,
but i've been looking for a nice example for a while, so i decided to go for it.
I guess that most of the aficionados of this forum know what i mean Smile

Re: filter size,
I already knew about the existence of a 66mm to 67mm step-up ring,
but i have at home a few clip-on modern plastic caps, so i'll give a try to the sanding solution.
Thanks

Cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:

Re: filter size,
I already knew about the existence of a 66mm to 67mm step-up ring,
but i have at home a few clip-on modern plastic caps, so i'll give a try to the sanding solution.
Thanks

Cheers

Paolo

Just be sure to clean the cap very well at the end, the "dust" that remains on the cap after the sending contains not only plastics but also abrasive parts of the sanding paper itself, that could deposit on the lens surface, with obvious consequences. I cleand mine with compressed air and i washed it with water and soap Smile Alternatevly you can use an "Olfa" knife instead of the sanding paper.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Auto Paragon 100mm f2.8 on the way. It does not have the Photax name on it. Their was only one pic on EBay, so I don't know who made this one.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/252745260886

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I have an Auto Paragon 100mm f2.8 on the way. It does not have the Photax name on it.

Possibly Sun?

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Vivitar Close Focus 28mm f2(komine) for I think a good price £36 plus shipping. Very clean and has an amazing bokeh.

And I have a very basic question about PK mount please
Although it is written on the lens it is PK and not PK/A, it has no manual setting so it stays wide open when I move the ring. It can only close when I move the thing that controls the aperture from the back of the lens
I am using it with an adapter to a Sony a6000. What am I missing
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today I received a set of three red "П": Jupiter-11 (KOMZ, Казань), Jupiter-12 (KMZ), Jupiter-3 (ZOMZ, Загорск (Сергиев Посад))

the previous owner sold the lens sets only. so I added to my Jupiter-11 another. maybe I'll look for a new owner for this lens after testing it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollei-HFT Sonnar 135/2.8. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up these two along with an Exakta body. The Isco is intriguing due to the weight. The focus is very tight, though, so I may do a little maintenance on it.
Anyone have any experience with the F2 Westagon?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOIGTLÄNDER ULTRON 21mm F 1.8 ASPHERICAL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
today I received a set of three red "П": Jupiter-11 (KOMZ, Казань), Jupiter-12 (KMZ), Jupiter-3 (ZOMZ, Загорск (Сергиев Посад))
the previous owner sold the lens sets only. so I added to my Jupiter-11 another. maybe I'll look for a new owner for this lens after testing it.

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rybolt wrote:
Just picked up these two along with an Exakta body. The Isco is intriguing due to the weight. The focus is very tight, though, so I may do a little maintenance on it.
Anyone have any experience with the F2 Westagon?

Not the Westagon, but I have the Westrocolor 1.9/50 which is simply splendid.
The Westagon seems to produce very fine images from what I have seen on the web. Why not try it out and post some images of your own to see how it performs.
The lubricating grease on these must have degraded over time as mine is also a little jittery in focus.
The optics are really good however, and the lack of smoothness in focus is easily forgivable.
T

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
VOIGTLÄNDER ULTRON 21mm F 1.8 ASPHERICAL

Hi Mir, how is that one compared to Zeiss Distagon 21 2.8? They are ~in the same prize range.