Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Yashica ML 55mm 2.8 macro, thanks to caspert79 review it came for a good price , and nice shape overall (my son's taken away the Nikkor 55macro so it was a good excuse to go for yashica)

Good choice 😉
Great lens!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the Techart LM-EA7 adapter, as I found a good offer. Now I still need a couple of additional adapters to make it work with most of my lenses.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Bought the Techart LM-EA7 adapter, as I found a good offer. Now I still need a couple of additional adapters to make it work with most of my lenses.

Like 1 Congrats the LM-EA7-config app is no longer available in Google Apps. The latest version I found is available at https://web.archive.org/web/20190927111011/http://techartpro.com/0831-LM-EA7-Config.apk but it doesn't work for later Android versions, ex. Android 6 works, 13 does not.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've has this Isco Tele-Iscaron 180/2.8 for just over a month, and did a little (unsuccessful) surgery on it. When the aperture is closed past 5.6 there is pronounced veiling flare in the image center, most likely from light reflection off aperture blades. I disassembled and painted them matt black, but the paint flaked off with the movement of the blades. I took it apart again, this time breaking a pin off one blade, which had to be reattached. I then used gun blue, well tried to. The particular one I bought had zero (ZERO) effect on the metal colour, and also made them rust slightly. Some rust converter darkened them, only slightly. Unless you have a proven brand I don't think I'd bother with that method again. To lubricate the blades I used graphite, applied by scribbling on the blade with a mechanical pencil. Unfortunately the graphite is a little shiny, which doesn't help. On reassembly the lens seems slightly better, but not much. Perhaps I'll revisit in future.

The aperture housing connects to the helicoid with an internal threaded collar which was loose. This was a convoluted job to fix, the trickiest part was that the mount (in this case Exakta) is held on with a threaded ring, but it unscrews the opposite way to what you may expect.

Apart from this the lens is in good condition. I bought a white paint pen and redid a lot of the lettering on the lens successfully. The Exakta mount is the external type you normally can't find an adapter for. I ended up removing a mount from a busted camera and epoxying it to my EXA-Leica M adapter, which required a bit of filing to get right as the ring was thicker on the replacement mount than the one originally attached.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Blacken-Steel-with-Motor-Oil/

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I've has this Isco Tele-Iscaron 180/2.8 for just over a month, and did a little (unsuccessful) surgery on it. When the aperture is closed past 5.6 there is pronounced veiling flare in the image center, most likely from light reflection off aperture blades. I disassembled and painted them matt black, but the paint flaked off with the movement of the blades. I took it apart again, this time breaking a pin off one blade, which had to be reattached. I then used gun blue, well tried to. The particular one I bought had zero (ZERO) effect on the metal colour, and also made them rust slightly. Some rust converter darkened them, only slightly. Unless you have a proven brand I don't think I'd bother with that method again. To lubricate the blades I used graphite, applied by scribbling on the blade with a mechanical pencil. Unfortunately the graphite is a little shiny, which doesn't help. On reassembly the lens seems slightly better, but not much. Perhaps I'll revisit in future.

The aperture housing connects to the helicoid with an internal threaded collar which was loose. This was a convoluted job to fix, the trickiest part was that the mount (in this case Exakta) is held on with a threaded ring, but it unscrews the opposite way to what you may expect.

Apart from this the lens is in good condition. I bought a white paint pen and redid a lot of the lettering on the lens successfully. The Exakta mount is the external type you normally can't find an adapter for. I ended up removing a mount from a busted camera and epoxying it to my EXA-Leica M adapter, which required a bit of filing to get right as the ring was thicker on the replacement mount than the one originally attached.

Wow, impressive lens and repair project. Do you think a permanent marker black ink would work for the blades ?(might be a stupid question lol)

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

Wow, impressive lens and repair project. Do you think a permanent marker black ink would work for the blades ?(might be a stupid question lol)

If only permanent markers came with matt ink. The one I have looks distinctly glossy when used. It would definitely be better than the matt paint I used. I think I laid the paint on a bit thick, then the pins were tight in the locating hole, that's how I broke one.

visualopsins wrote:

That does look pretty dark at the end. Maybe I'll experiment in future. Right now I'm just happy I got it reassembled, and didn't irretrievably ruin anything...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Image" branded 80-200mm f 4.5.
I haven't tried sample photos yet- it's some what dusty with a possibly slightly abraded front element, and a slight divot on the rear element.

A quick search shows some of this lens in "Hanimex" and "Soligor" branding.
Interesting to me because of the twin-ring style.
It is a bit large and bulky, but extremely well made.
The six bladed aperture appears to be clean and dry, if not slightly lop-sided on one blade.

There's the brand mark there on the built-in hood.
I'll have to dig out one of the micro's to get proper photo's of the lower ring marks.
Oddly enough, there is no stop or detent for f5.6. It goes from f4.5 straight to f8. Strange, because at aprox. f5.6 between detents, the aperture has an interesting flower petals shape.

Not sure who made it. the coatings were quite well done and show a green cast with a slight purple tinge...

The price was low enough not to bother me. Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
kiddo wrote:

If only permanent markers came with matt ink. The one I have looks distinctly glossy when used. It would definitely be better than the matt paint I used. I think I laid the paint on a bit thick, then the pins were tight in the locating hole, that's how I broke one.

visualopsins wrote:

That does look pretty dark at the end. Maybe I'll experiment in future. Right now I'm just happy I got it reassembled, and didn't irretrievably ruin anything...

I've read the paint markers could deliver matte finish ,but I've never tried em before.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD-I 50mm f1.7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y9F6AbAkP4U9D6nk6

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

"Image" branded 80-200mm f 4.5.
I haven't tried sample photos yet- it's some what dusty with a possibly slightly abraded front element, and a slight divot on the rear element.

A quick search shows some of this lens in "Hanimex" and "Soligor" branding.
Interesting to me because of the twin-ring style.
It is a bit large and bulky, but extremely well made.
The six bladed aperture appears to be clean and dry, if not slightly lop-sided on one blade.

There's the brand mark there on the built-in hood.
I'll have to dig out one of the micro's to get proper photo's of the lower ring marks.
Oddly enough, there is no stop or detent for f5.6. It goes from f4.5 straight to f8. Strange, because at aprox. f5.6 between detents, the aperture has an interesting flower petals shape.

Not sure who made it. the coatings were quite well done and show a green cast with a slight purple tinge...

The price was low enough not to bother me. Wink

-D.S.

Makinon all over, this one is. fonts, text placement, colours etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Coligon 85mm f/1.9. Would love to do a comparison with Vivitar 85/1.8 and Accura 85/1.9, both of which are preset. Not sure yet if it is the same lens as Vivitar 85/1.8 preset, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added to my collectoon an almost New Meyer Görlitz Oreston 50/1,8.
Very nice lens.
Not the sharpest nor the great contrast, but anything magic in the pics taken with it.
I like it so much.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Super Coligon 85mm f/1.9. Would love to do a comparison with Vivitar 85/1.8 and Accura 85/1.9, both of which are preset. Not sure yet if it is the same lens as Vivitar 85/1.8 preset, though.

I think the Vivitar is a different computation, the rear element appears to be smaller that that of the Super Coligon. As pictured below, the Super Coligon on the left, the Vivitar on the right.

In this pic, the Vivitar is once again on the right, on the left is a no-badge 85mm F/1.9 which looks to be made by Nissin Sankor, and which I presume to be the same as your Accura.

The Super Coligon is mentioned in the Seymours 1969 newsletter, found here: http://www.ihagee.org/USA/exaktanews769.pdf
In that news letter it mentions 3 versions of the 85/1.9 from the same manufacturer.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Makinon all over, this one is. fonts, text placement, colours etc.

Thank you! Like 1

I'll get it outside tomorrow in good day light to try a few frames.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Viv Series 1 komine 70-210mm Reply with quote

I already have one but couldn't resist a bid on this - and I was the only bidder! Pretty much LNIB.
btw I wrote the fix for sticky iris in case of need.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

I think the Vivitar is a different computation, the rear element appears to be smaller that that of the Super Coligon. As pictured below, the Super Coligon on the left, the Vivitar on the right.

In this pic, the Vivitar is once again on the right, on the left is a no-badge 85mm F/1.9 which looks to be made by Nissin Sankor, and which I presume to be the same as your Accura.

The Super Coligon is mentioned in the Seymours 1969 newsletter, found here: http://www.ihagee.org/USA/exaktanews769.pdf
In that news letter it mentions 3 versions of the 85/1.9 from the same manufacturer.

Thanks for the information. Interesting and very valuable newsletter. By rare earth element, I am assuming it refers to thorium. Once the lens arrived, I can measure it and see if it is radioactive or not.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Viv Series 1 komine 70-210mm Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
I already have one but couldn't resist a bid on this - and I was the only bidder! Pretty much LNIB.

I've cleaned the aperture of mine several times. Initially it works but when I try to use the lens again it seems to have become even sticky-er than before.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Viv Series 1 komine 70-210mm Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

Wow, how much if you don't mind me asking? I was looking at these (UK) fairly recently, within last few days, maybe an auction I missed.

I saw a 3x boxed auction of the original Series 1 70-210mm f3.5, and two of the later Cosina ones go for £12.50 + £5.00 shipping- was just outbid, but the photos of the elements showed absolutely nothing.

In a 'strange' twist of fate, my Komine copy (same as picture) has an absolutely bone dry aperture, on either sides..

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - just for the record, because reviews don't seem to mention it(?), does anyone else notice the relatively strong purple fringing on the v3? It's fine, mostly correctable, just wondering if it's typical.

I also wish I had a block diagram of the v4 and onwards, which is a different composition. It's said to be on the boxes of those, but I haven't found a decent listing showing the box sides yet.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought two Topcors 58mm 1.4. Payed quite a hefty price for each and the two have problems. 😡😡😡😡
On one of the lenses the aperture is not properly working and the second one has very slight fog in inner lenses (not able to be seen on photos or straight looking).

Guess these are the risks of buying old lenses but would hope sellers on the bay be more honest with their descriptions.

Now looking for shops to have them serviced in Germany.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:
Bought two Topcors 58mm 1.4. Payed quite a hefty price for each and the two have problems. 😡😡😡😡
On one of the lenses the aperture is not properly working and the second one has very slight fog in inner lenses (not able to be seen on photos or straight looking).

Guess these are the risks of buying old lenses but would hope sellers on the bay be more honest with their descriptions.

Now looking for shops to have them serviced in Germany.

you could return it, i guess . But to be honest, most of the lenses that havent been cla´d recently would have some kind of issues (haze,dust and worse fungus,separation etc). Anyway, what´s the price they are going nowadays, as i don´t trust the price i see in ebay for items that one can see em there for months/years. Sellers standards of perfect is very untrusty in most of the cases, so i guess the only trusty way to buy it totally perfect shape would be from a trusted seller.
Whats wrong with the aperture? i thought these lenses would be some of the most reliable in mechanics-

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@eggplant it was ebay item 115781719502
I am only idly curious about the cosina VS1's, I would pick one up in PKA mount for say a tenner just to satisfy that. I did a tamron vs viv "supertest" a few years ago, and while the kino and tokina vivs were competitive on eg flower pics, good colours etc, on the tests that discriminated like macro and landscape they were short of the best. However I would like to pick up the rare cosina "apo" version.
IMO the v1 kiron and v2 tokina are worse for fringing.
Some of todays pics with the komine, pentax K30, just handheld, ISO 800, middling f's:

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Alun Thomas"][url=http://forum.mflenses.

Awesome lens. I thought I knew about all the 18cm / 180mm f2.8. But no...🤷‍♂️

I want it. 😊

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
By rare earth element, I am assuming it refers to thorium. Once the lens arrived, I can measure it and see if it is radioactive or not.

Thorium is not a rare earth element. They probably refer to lanthanum.

S