Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see some test photos of this, because your images would do well to quantify it's performance. The Nikon tale is a good read.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably an interesting lens.

I have a 35-105 m/f zoom that was manufactured roughly near the same era, and the glass is decidedly different.
There's even an a/f sub-forum here, for just that type of discussion. Mr. Green

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the G cost cut version (no aperture ring, more use of cheap nasty plastic) of the rather common 28-200 Nikkor or a different lens entirely?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya (645) C 200mm f/4 for 15€ on Buyee Smile
According to the seller no mold, scratches, haze or problems with operation. Of course that remains to be seen, but most likely this is another dirt cheap high quality addition to my lens collection.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
According to the seller no mold, scratches, haze or problems with operation. Of course that remains to be seen, but most likely this is another dirt cheap high quality addition to my lens collection.

210mm I guess?
Mamiya-Sekor C 210mm 1:4 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tired of waiting for Minolta 75-150mm F4 lens, so I bought a 70-150mm F4.5 Canon as an alternative (until I find a decent offer for that Minolta). Few days later there was an auction for the Minolta,
so now I have both and I need to try them soon. At the same time I also bought an MD Minolta 35-70mm macro, but it came full of fungus (it was described as mint...). In any case, I didn't have any manual
zooms and now I'm going for the good ones I may actually use and be happy with.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

210mm I guess?
Mamiya-Sekor C 210mm 1:4 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Yup! 😊

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
I was tired of waiting for Minolta 75-150mm F4 lens, so I bought a 70-150mm F4.5 Canon as an alternative (until I find a decent offer for that Minolta). Few days later there was an auction for the Minolta,
so now I have both and I need to try them soon. At the same time I also bought an MD Minolta 35-70mm macro, but it came full of fungus (it was described as mint...). In any case, I didn't have any manual

Recognisable. I currently have 2 zoom lenses, one being the Minolta 75-150/4, the other one being the Mamiya 105-210/4.5. In general more a fan of primes, but the Minolta is definitely an exception. I might complement it one day with something good in the 28-70mm range, but still have to investigate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that Mamiya, parted with it becausde I fouind a Bronica 4.5/200 that was substantially better for my uses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy last three weeks the following Cameras and Lenses.
Minolta 9000 with AF 24 f2.8 , 35-105 , 100-300 and the 100 f2 AF. I've been looking for that for years for my First Serie AF Minolta Lenses. Now I'm just missing the 300 f2.8 and the 600 f4.
Nikon F with 50mm f1.4 and Nikon FM2N with 50 f1.4 , 24 f2.8 and 100-300 f5.6. All Ai-S.

I forgot something else. Minolta Autocord Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbucklover69 wrote:
Minolta 9000 with AF 24 f2.8 , 35-105 , 100-300 and the 100 f2 AF. I've been looking for that for years for my First Serie AF Minolta Lenses. Now I'm just missing the 300 f2.8 and the 600 f4.
Nikon F with 50mm f1.4 and Nikon FM2N with 50 f1.4 , 24 f2.8 and 100-300 f5.6. All Ai-S.

The 100/2 should be fun. Usually quite expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:

The canon's nfd reliability is not the best, Minolta is a very rare one around, but I've got the 75-150mm mamiya ze excellent lens,very light and good built

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Not a MF lens, but still a lens I have been looking for since Haruo Sato wrote about it in his "Nikkor Tales". Haruo Sato is one of the most important Nikon lens designers, who e. g. has calculated more than 25 Nikkor lenses, anong them the famous Nikkor 2.8/14-24mm AF lens.

This one, the AF Nikkor 3.5-4.6/28-200mm was "the most difficult one by far", as he says.
Usually I don't buy "plastic fantastic" lenses, let alone super-zooms, but Haruo Sato's statement made me curious.

This 28-200mm lens, designed 2001-2003 for the last-ever analog Nikon SLRs, had a few very simple and practical design goals:

1) "travel zoom" with 28-200mm superzoom range
2) Should be able to take pictires of dishes and flowers (all existing superzooms had a rather large MFD back then)
3) Should be small enough to work with the built-in flashes of Nikon F55 and F65 (superzoom should not create a shadow on flas images)
4) good performance

Creating a good, extremely small superzoom with an MFD of 0.44mm throughout the entire range should become a real challenge for Sato. While the calculation of the lens was finished in less than two months, actually producing it would prove to be rather difficult (precise alignment of its four aspherical surfaces). In addidtion, three of its 12 lenses are made from ED glass.

Sadly, when the lens at the end of 2003 hit the market, it was too late. Now the digital SLRs were en vogue, and a "simple" 28-200 was passé. The lens was produced in much smaller numbers than anticipated, and in earl 2006 it was dicontinued. Maybe this was little bit too early - as soon as the Nikon D3 (Nikons firts FF DSLR) hit the market, the tiny 28-200 was rediscovered. Prices were soaring, and even now they go for about 100 CHF / USD / EUR on ebay.

OK, here it is - together with the Nikon F80 which was included in the sale:

S

Hope you'll show us some results with the lens adapted to Sony?! Not to many competitors in that focal length ,I assume

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Is that the G cost cut version (no aperture ring, more use of cheap nasty plastic) of the rather common 28-200 Nikkor or a different lens entirely?

Completely different computation - smaller, better optics, and MFD of 0.44m over the entire 28-200mm range (!). The precedessor you mention had 1.8 m MFD.
Read Haruo Sato's Nikkor Tale about its development. They even had to invent new precision manufacturing tools for the 28-200 G: The correct adjustment/alignement of the aspheres was that tricky.

Ken Rockwell says:
"This tiny do-everything gem was introduced at PMA in March 2003 for use on Nikon's low-end and mid-line SLR film cameras. It replaced the bigger, heavier, tougher and more expensive 28-200mm AF-D, which didn't focus very close. No one bought low-end film SLRs in 2003, so this optical masterpiece went unnoticed until the introduction of the FX-format Nikon D3 in 2007, almost two years after this lens was discontinued for lack of interest in 2006."

kiddo wrote:

Hope you'll show us some results with the lens adapted to Sony?! Not to many competitors in that focal length ,I assume

No time this week. A few test shots with the lens stopped down to f8 ... f14 gave some remarkably crisp colors. Large part of the image (maybe around 75%) often was very rich in detail, but outer parts especially at 28mm and above 150mm were quite limited. Distortion in the 80-200mm range seems to be a problem, too. But hey, for a lens that is so tiny ... !!! Should be interesting to compare it to the MinAF 4-4.5/28-135mm (a professional superzoom from 1985, thus nearly 20 years older) and with the ubiquituous 1st version of the Tamron AF 28-200mm (71D, 1992).

Honestly, I didn't buy this lens to really use it. I was more intrigued by Haruo Sato's Nikkor tale ... I would never have bought it on ebay or the like - but now when it popped up in a thrift store ... why not Wink ?

S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbucklover69 wrote:

That's a beautiful TLR, congrats. Mine is the Autocord I, the one I like best of all the iterations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
starbucklover69 wrote:

Nope. I have luck. I pay for the 9000 with the Lenses 150 chf. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starbucklover69 wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
starbucklover69 wrote:

Nope. I have luck. I pay for the 9000 with the Lenses 150 chf. Laugh 1

Insane deal 👍👍.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switzerland might be one of the very places to get such nice deals lately. I've got a FD 85mm 1.8 ,both the 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 beat the competitors with the 6 blades aperture , I found to be an issue many times .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how much faith you have in the honesty of reports from Switzerland....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I assume it's got to do with "right place at the right time" opportunities, overall I do see a drop in manual vintage lenses prices lately, but still not on exquisite ones . For example, the 85mm is hard to see for a reasonable price , and anything shorter than 24 mm more or less the same , just as very fast lenses on long FL.
Besides, probably there's not a general interest on these lenses , so, selling em requires to have connections or sell em through internet, and so many people don't feel comfortable to do it, with all the hassle. Many of them might not know the value they've got, neither the shape of the material . Others are just Happy to give em away for whatever price, but knowing that someone would make good use of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Switzerland, as much as it might like to think it is insulated from outside world, is tied to the world economy

Vintage lens prices are rising constantly while at the same time, inflation is rampant in many countries, so the cost to buy something like a vintage lens, in real terms, is getting ever higher.

The Swiss won't miss a trick when it comes to making money, it is their bread and butter after all, although with what just happened to Credit Suisse, they might be slipping a bit in that regard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Depends on how much faith you have in the honesty of reports from Switzerland....

Well, I'm living in the East of France, at a distance of about 20 km from Germany and 50 km from Switzerland. I can confirm that prices for second-hand photo gear in Switzerland are mostly lower than in Germany and France while the offer for high quality cameras and lenses is very large. The Swiss having enjoyed much higher salaries for a long time, they could afford more expensive and higher grade cameras and lenses and the have a tendency to care more for the stuff - the latter is often in very good state. Recently, swiss prices tend to be on the rise so they get closer to prices in Germany and France. In the past, the French often bought nice cameras and matched them with awful lenses (Makinon and Hanimex are wide-spread brands..) or chose the most inexpensive gear (Zenit and Praktica are legion...), so it's not easy to find the nicer things. Nethertheless, the sellers on swiss marketplaces like ricardo.ch mostly want to stay among themselves and quite a lot refuse to deal with foreigners even if they live just beyond the border.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 100mm f/4. Don't know why I ever sold mine in the first place, but I'm glad I found one again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Minolta MD 100mm f/4. Don't know why I ever sold mine in the first place, but I'm glad I found one again.

That could be a physically tiny specimen.
I have the nikon "E" 100mm f2.8 here, and it's not very big.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

That could be a physically tiny specimen.
I have the nikon "E" 100mm f2.8 here, and it's not very big.

-D.S.

Sorry, it's the macro.