Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:

I have a great condition Yashica Lynx 14E sitting around with its 45mm f1.4.

That's a camera I was looking for some years ago. I saw it once here in Switzerland, but i was defective and the seller asked for a rather steep price (> CHF 100.--), so finally I didn't buy it.

eggplant wrote:
For a good while a Sony E adapter was being made for these, decently priced, and I put it off, only to find it's not being produced anymore and only sold at silly prices.

I still dont' understand how they work ... I mean you would have to disassemble the camera since the lens is fixed??! I wouldn't dare to do that ...

eggplant wrote:

Which is a shame as I was looking forward to that lens... yes it could very well be crap, and maybe not so unique, but is unique enough amongst fixed lens rangefinder lenses for me..

It certainly is !! Maybe you ca pos a few images of your Lynx 14 in the "show us your camera" thread?

S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lynx 14E somewhere, I just don't know where I stored it. The lens is really good actually; I used it when I was a student.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vivitar macro with the later Series 1 red ring and the grip style.

This is the normal look of the kiron made vivitar S1 105mm (22xxxxx serial) AFAIK - this blog has more detailed info. As distinct from the komine made 90mm, which is much more common. The other nameplate versions including kiron own label don't have the red lines etc.
There is also a 100mm kiron made vivitar version which doesn't have the red bands etc (pics: see ebay item 185336026790).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 1960, and the build quality is luxurious. Still, it's an odd shape, sort of a cone, and a bit heavy. To me that's quirky rather than annoying.

There's some vignetting from the body tube on my GFX but it's still very usable. It works great on my X-T2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I have a Lynx 14E somewhere, I just don't know where I stored it. The lens is really good actually; I used it when I was a student.

The three salvaged Yashinon lenses that I have, 45mm 1.7, 1.8 and 2.8 all share a similar helicoid design and I could quite easily change my design for the first 3D printed adapter for the GS DX 1.7 to get them converted too. These Yashinons have nicer helicoids than the Petri, Canonet or Minolta salvaged 45mm's. Still possible to use their original helicoid with some creativity. Worst is the Konica Auto S version where the linear guiding of the helicoid is offset, designed something but not satisfying. In the end I gave the Petri and Konica an M42 mount to be used on a short Chinese helicoid. Like I did with two Fujinon 45mm's that have no helicoid for focusing but use a kind of telescope tube in the camera for focusing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Takumar 1:4.5 20mm
Not the best Takumar according to Gerjan Van Oosten but have to try it myself

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have long been looking for a Meyer Primoplan that I could afford.
Finally found one.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Finally found one.
Tom

Some years ago there was an old 1.9/75mm Primoplan sold here in a local auction, hidden in a lot of "defective" lenses.
It went for about CHF 300.-- or so. Looking at todays prices of the 75mm Primoplan I should have bought it ...!

Looking forward to see images taken with it, comparing it with a "common" 1.7/55 or 1.4/58 such as the Minolta MC-II or the Hexanon AR 1.4/57mm. Or even a Biotar 2/58mm!

S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Finally found one.
Tom

Some years ago there was an old 1.9/75mm Primoplan sold here in a local auction, hidden in a lot of "defective" lenses.
It went for about CHF 300.-- or so. Looking at todays prices of the 75mm Primoplan I should have bought it ...!

Looking forward to see images taken with it, comparing it with a "common" 1.7/55 or 1.4/58 such as the Minolta MC-II or the Hexanon AR 1.4/57mm. Or even a Biotar 2/58mm!

S

yes, these are good suggestions. I have some of those so a comparison might be interesting
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titrisol70 wrote:
Super Takumar 1:4.5 20mm
Not the best Takumar according to Gerjan Van Oosten but have to try it myself

Congrats the distortion doesn't bother me; only architecture around here is trees and landscapes. LOL. I like the lens not quite as wide as Tamron 17mm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

It's a 1960, and the build quality is luxurious. Still, it's an odd shape, sort of a cone, and a bit heavy. To me that's quirky rather than annoying.

There's some vignetting from the body tube on my GFX but it's still very usable. It works great on my X-T2.

Like 1 small

Removing the lens head with another helicoid might fix the vignetting problem on GFX.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Pro-Tessars 3.2/35mm and 4/85mm for the Zeiss Contaflex SLR.

Those Pro-Tessars aren't real lenses, but more a kind of "semi-lens". The Contaflexes came with a basic Zeiss Tessar 2.8/50mm lens, with its three last lenses built into the camera. The front lens was removable and could be replaced by a variety of "semi-lenses" ranging from 30mm to 115mm.

More on that (and on the corresponding Retina Reflexes) in the "Show your camera" thread!

S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Zeiss Pro-Tessars 3.2/35mm and 4/85mm for the Zeiss Contaflex SLR.

Those Pro-Tessars aren't real lenses, but more a kind of "semi-lens". The Contaflexes came with a basic Zeiss Tessar 2.8/50mm lens, with its three last lenses built into the camera. The front lens was removable and could be replaced by a variety of "semi-lenses" ranging from 30mm to 115mm.

More on that (and on the corresponding Retina Reflexes) in the "Show your camera" thread!

S

Just out of curiosity, Zeiss advertised the focal length range up to 400 mm, through the application of the 8x monocular on the 50mm... https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Contaflex_superB_Zeiss_8x30B.JPG#/media/File:Contaflex_superB_Zeiss_8x30B.JPG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my student days I used a contaflex for a while; the cheap triplet "Pantar" version. Very contrasty kodachrome slides: comparing favourably with whatever I had used before, probably a Ricoh 35(?) fixed lens wide angle which was reasonably good.

p

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

Just out of curiosity, Zeiss advertised the focal length range up to 400 mm, through the application of the 8x monocular on the 50mm... https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Contaflex_superB_Zeiss_8x30B.JPG#/media/File:Contaflex_superB_Zeiss_8x30B.JPG

Uh yes you are right ... I had read that somewhere, long time ago - but forgot about it Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Removing the lens head with another helicoid might fix the vignetting problem on GFX.

Do you have any suggestions for an alternative helicoid? That seems to be a large and somewhat confusing subject, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I'd like to try it with my old Elmarit 90 and my Elmar 135 too.

Oldhand wrote:
Finally found one.

Like 1

I hope you enjoy it. That's one of my very favorite lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Do you have any suggestions for an alternative helicoid? That seems to be a large and somewhat confusing subject, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

If you can measure the thread size of the lens head, you can made a simple adapter using a helicoid. Otherwise a Leica Zooep (16463) and a Visoflex M to EOS adapter will help but they are expensive. I am planning to write an article on how to use these lenses on the GFX. If you don't do them in a hurry, you can wait for my article.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Oldhand wrote:
Finally found one.

Like 1

I hope you enjoy it. That's one of my very favorite lenses.

Thank you Keo.
It is yet to arrive, but isn't far away.
I have looked for a couple of years for a copy that wasn't expensive, but had no luck until recently.
I have a few 58mm lenses, but none that render in the same way as the Primoplan.
Looking forward to it very much.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
eggplant wrote:
For a good while a Sony E adapter was being made for these, decently priced, and I put it off, only to find it's not being produced anymore and only sold at silly prices.

I still dont' understand how they work ... I mean you would have to disassemble the camera since the lens is fixed??! I wouldn't dare to do that ...

Yes- the lens would be removed from the camera, which would mean disassembly as it's fixed.

Now from the review I've read from Mike Eckman, the Lynx 14 (and probably 14E) is quite difficult to use in low light situations you'd want f/1.4 for due to a small and difficult to see rangefinder patch. And so he found the f/1.7 rangefinders with better features an easier time.

Whilst he had repaired his, he did check with others on his experience.

As far as candidates for conversion go I think it's a pretty good one.

stevemark wrote:
eggplant wrote:

Which is a shame as I was looking forward to that lens... yes it could very well be crap, and maybe not so unique, but is unique enough amongst fixed lens rangefinder lenses for me..

It certainly is !! Maybe you ca pos a few images of your Lynx 14 in the "show us your camera" thread?

S

I shall take a look... Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina AT-X 35-70mm f2.8.

I wonder if it can beat a MD Zoom 35-70mm f3.5 macro.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar Series 1 70-210 F3.5 showing multi-coating here.
This is the second I've had of this lens. It has the A/I indexing tab on the aperture ring. The first one was not converted, and I sold it off.

Lens rear. It could use a bit of a cleaning. It looks to have been stored capless where it could catch considerable dust.

Main tube and controls. Built by Kino, and quite well at that.

Quick test shot at 70mm and f8 shows slight over-exposure at -24C.
Cropped to remove the hood of my car, and re-sized. No further manipulation.
Not quite as sharp as the earlier variant I had, but still usable.
The lighting was a bit of a challenge here too.
I need to experiment with the half F stop settings on the aperture.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won a Mamiya C 105-210mm f/4.5 ULD for nearly nothing. Hope it’s in reasonable condition.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I am planning to write an article on how to use these lenses on the GFX. If you don't do them in a hurry, you can wait for my article.

Great idea for an article! I'll be glad to check it out.

This is off on a tangent, but a great accessory for adapted lenses on the GFX would be a very thin, dumb extension tube, say 5mm or less. That would take care of any vignetting with many, many lenses, even if infinity was lost.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a surprise this weekend. I was out with my daughter who was looking for some vintage mid century modern chairs. Besides from antique and vintage furniture, the shop had a row of miscellaneous items. In an end display was this Konica FS-1 camera with a Hexagon 57mm f1.4 lens. Interested in the lens, I Picked it up it up for $15. Plus @ bonus exposed roll of film Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmkmva wrote:
Got a surprise this weekend. I was out with my daughter who was looking for some vintage mid century modern chairs. Besides from antique and vintage furniture, the shop had a row of miscellaneous items. In an end display was this Konica FS-1 camera with a Hexagon 57mm f1.4 lens. Interested in the lens, I Picked it up it up for $15. Plus @ bonus exposed roll of film Smile

You know there is an unwritten rule that says you now need the spend the rest of your life if necessary, trying to reunite the film with its original owner Wink