Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very interesting, a real rarity.

I have seen a scan from a photo magazine at the time comparing this to many zooms at the time, I will see if I can dig it out.


PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Another compact zoom.
This Tokina has been around here for a while.
By it's pink 7.99 price tag, it was a thrift shop find.
I actually had forgotten I had it- it was purchased ( I think ) before a family trip...



MFD is a bit long at 4 ft./ 1 M.



Bit of ingenuity with the mount information location.



Quick artificial light test shot at high ISO shows reasonable optics for the close in stuff.
I need to get this out in daylight for a proper function test.
As of now, it seems to be reasonably sharp and clear, just looking through the v/f and quick focusing...

-D.S.


PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large format Zeiss Jena tessar 210mm f/4.5 attached onto a tube that seems to have M42 thread on the other end. Don't know whether the tube's dimensions are correct to obtain 1:1. When I have some time, i'll try it out.


PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
A large format Zeiss Jena tessar 210mm f/4.5 attached onto a tube that seems to have M42 thread on the other end.


Interesting. I have a Zeiss Jena Tessar 15cm f/4.5 attached to a short alu tube, also with a M42 thread at its end.

In addition I got a Tamron SP 3.5/70-210mm, my second sample. The first one looked disppointing to me (especially given the good reviews the lens usually gets), and I suspect a defective lens. Time to check and find out ...

Then a Tokina RMC 4.5/75-260mm which is my 13th RMC Zoom lens ... looking forward to see how it performs as it is not that common.

And finally an Auto Mamiya Sekor ES 2.8/28mm plus an ES 2.8/135mm for the Mamiya XTL bayonet SLRs. I already had a sample of each of those lenses, but probably will keep the additional samples for time being. If someone is interested => PM me!

S


PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a contaflex S with 35/3,2, 85/3,2 and 115/4. All like new items.

Another Ultramatic cs with skopar 50/2,8 and skoparex 35/3,4.

I will use the ultramatic with b&w film


PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I bought a contaflex S with 35/3,2, 85/3,2 and 115/4. All like new items.

I have a few Contaflexes of different series (including an S model), but no additional lenses. All the Contaflexes were from the wastebin of a local photo store ...

papasito wrote:
Another Ultramatic cs with skopar 50/2,8 and skoparex 35/3,4.

That's a really interesting camera - i got mine (like new) on a local flea market for about CHF 30.-- or so, including the Septon 2/50, the lens shade and a few filters. Lter I found the corresponding Skoparex 3.4/35 and a Dynarex 4135 as well. It's a pitty that my other DKL lenses (including some nice Schneider wideangles) don't fit ...

papasito wrote:
I will use the ultramatic with b&w film

I never dared to really use my Ultramatic since it's like new and said to be a bit ... well ... finicky.

S


PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stevemark"]
caspert79 wrote:


In addition I got a Tamron SP 3.5/70-210mm, my second sample. The first one looked disppointing to me (especially given the good reviews the lens usually gets), and I suspect a defective lens. Time to check and find out ...

Then a Tokina RMC 4.5/75-260mm which is my 13th RMC Zoom lens ... looking forward to see how it performs as it is not that common.

S


My version of the Tamron above is quite sharp at quite long distances- very surprising. It is the 103-A.

There was not much hype about the RMC series here- the ATX line got all of the chatter.
My single copy is the one listed above, and other than some internal dust, seems to be largely okay.

Let us know what you find...

-D.S.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in a comparison of some of these RMC Tokina zooms Vs the later Tokina SD 70-210mm f4.0-5.6. Would definitely be interesting.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Nikkor S 50/1,4 a while ago and later found an original new old stock AI conversion. I had the work done by someone far away and it never worked (aperture stuck).
Now I found a serious guy who started just recently and he did an awesome job. My 50 works and looks like new and I'm delighted. As a plus, the lens is much sharper WO in the center than expected. Great!
Let's try to post a pic...



Now I gave him a Yashinon 5cm f2 and 58 Rokkor to be fixed and there will be more coming.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1


PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Doc Sharptail"][quote="stevemark"][quote="caspert79"]

In addition I got a Tamron SP 3.5/70-210mm, ...
Quote:


My version of the Tamron above is quite sharp at quite long distances- very surprising. It is the 103-A.

The 103A is quite a different lens. My lens - the 19AH - has a different optical construction. the website "adaptall-2.com" calls it "... for several reasons, this is the best 70-210 zoom lens ever designed and manufactured", something I couldn't verify when testing my first sample of the Tamron SP 3.5/70-210mm (19 AH). Meanwhile I have checked three samples, and actually my first one was the best of those three copies ... I just compared them to the Minolta MD-III 4/70-210mm and the Zeiss CY 3.5/70-210mm. Both of them are better at infinty, espcially wide open.

Doc Sharptail wrote:
There was not much hype about the RMC series here- the ATX line got all of the chatter.
My single copy is the one listed above, and other than some internal dust, seems to be largely okay.

Let us know what you find...

-D.S.


I have a dozen or so RMCs, most of them just tested "quick and dirty", and then shelved. Not because they were partcularly bad ... I should look at then a bit closer, especially since many of those lenses seem to have surfaced as "OEM clones" as well (eg Yashica ML 2.8/135C, 4/200C, 5.6/300C, 4/80-200, Minolta MD-III 3.5-4.5/35-105mm II etc).

The Tokina RMC 4.5/75-260mm looks like new, but its baynet mount was wobbling as I just found out. After opening and fixing it, the aperture is "locked" (tightening the bayonet screws "locks" the aperture!). Wrong tolerances ... Maybe that was a manufacturing issue ... ?!?

S


PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina 80-200 f 3.5-4.5 pictured above is my first from Tokina.

I have no experience with them at all.
Some of the much earlier Nikkors I have here anchored their aperture return springs to one of the bayonet screws.
Getting the spring block back on to the proper screw can take a bit of doing, especially if you don't know where ( which screw ) it mounts to... Shocked

-D.S.


PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
papasito wrote:
I bought a contaflex S with 35/3,2, 85/3,2 and 115/4. All like new items.

I have a few Contaflexes of different series (including an S model), but no additional lenses. All the Contaflexes were from the wastebin of a local photo store ...

papasito wrote:
Another Ultramatic cs with skopar 50/2,8 and skoparex 35/3,4.

That's a really interesting camera - i got mine (like new) on a local flea market for about CHF 30.-- or so, including the Septon 2/50, the lens shade and a few filters. Lter I found the corresponding Skoparex 3.4/35 and a Dynarex 4135 as well. It's a pitty that my other DKL lenses (including some nice Schneider wideangles) don't fit ...

papasito wrote:
I will use the ultramatic with b&w film

I never dared to really use my Ultramatic since it's like new and said to be a bit ... well ... finicky.

S


If you fond the skopagon 40/2, catch it.
I had it and sold with my voigtlander collection.

Great lens. But really great.it has 9 elements and like the skopar 50/2,8 has near apochromatic rendering.


PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
...
The Tokina RMC 4.5/75-260mm looks like new, but its baynet mount was wobbling as I just found out. After opening and fixing it, the aperture is "locked" (tightening the bayonet screws "locks" the aperture!). Wrong tolerances ... Maybe that was a manufacturing issue ... ?!?

S


I don't know this particular lens, but in lenses sometimes there are one or more shims underneath (i.e. adjacent to) the aperture ring to minimise the loose feel/play of it, and they pick the best fitting combination of shims out of a range of different available thicknesses in the factory. Perhaps they fitted too thick a stack of shims in the factory; removing one of them then might solve the issue...

(those are not the same shims they use to collimate the master lens by the way; I'm not referring to those...)


PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
...
The Tokina RMC 4.5/75-260mm looks like new, but its baynet mount was wobbling as I just found out. After opening and fixing it, the aperture is "locked" (tightening the bayonet screws "locks" the aperture!). Wrong tolerances ... Maybe that was a manufacturing issue ... ?!?

S


I don't know this particular lens, but in lenses sometimes there are one or more shims underneath (i.e. adjacent to) the aperture ring to minimise the loose feel/play of it, and they pick the best fitting combination of shims out of a range of different available thicknesses in the factory. Perhaps they fitted too thick a stack of shims in the factory; removing one of them then might solve the issue...

(those are not the same shims they use to collimate the master lens by the way; I'm not referring to those...)


I have that lens in Soligor and M42. The mount is also a bit loose, but I wouldn't call it wobbly. I just tightened the screws a bit. Now it's fixed. Aperture still works normally.


PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:
...
The Tokina RMC 4.5/75-260mm looks like new, but its baynet mount was wobbling as I just found out. After opening and fixing it, the aperture is "locked" (tightening the bayonet screws "locks" the aperture!). Wrong tolerances ... Maybe that was a manufacturing issue ... ?!?

S


I don't know this particular lens, but in lenses sometimes there are one or more shims underneath (i.e. adjacent to) the aperture ring to minimise the loose feel/play of it, and they pick the best fitting combination of shims out of a range of different available thicknesses in the factory. Perhaps they fitted too thick a stack of shims in the factory; removing one of them then might solve the issue...

(those are not the same shims they use to collimate the master lens by the way; I'm not referring to those...)


Thanks fo the information - sadly it's not related to that. It's an issue within the mechanical transmission from the bayonet/mount part (differing depending on the mount) and the actual lens part (which is the same for all different mount versions, eg the same for FD, AR, MD, AI, OM, ... mounts). Not surprisingly, the RMC Tokinas are constructed in a similar way as the Tamron Adaptall II lenses ...

S


PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
A large format Zeiss Jena tessar 210mm f/4.5 attached onto a tube that seems to have M42 thread on the other end.


Interesting. I have a Zeiss Jena Tessar 15cm f/4.5 attached to a short alu tube, also with a M42 thread at its end.


Turned out my tube’s thread is not m42 after all, but slightly bigger. RAFcamera is going to produce a m62x0.75f x P-thread male adapter for me so I should be able to connect the lens directly to an M42 bellows. He’s gonna produce 2 or 3 of it in a couple of weeks so if it’s useful for you I can notify you. Price will be around 50$.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 macro
Mamiya CS 135mm f/2.8


PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 macro
Mamiya CS 135mm f/2.8


Curious what your impression of the last will be.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 macro
Mamiya CS 135mm f/2.8


Curious what your impression of the last will be.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 macro
Mamiya CS 135mm f/2.8


Curious what your impression of the last will be.


Me too. Mamiya collector Herron likes it a lot. Stephan found it to have quite heavy CA's. Will probably do a comparison against some of my better 135's.

The Canon I want to compare against my Mamiya E 50/3.5 macro; there's very little info on the Mamiya. I love to do tests with lenses that are under the radar; the first impression is very good. But the Canon is probably a strong contender. I might throw in the Mamiya EF 50/1.4 as well in an infinity test, as it is a very strong performer.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Mamiya collector Herron likes it a lot. Stephan found it to have quite heavy CA's. Will probably do a comparison against some of my better 135's.

If you correct the CAs while developping the RAWs, the lens is quite good even at f2.8. If you don't, the CAs are probably the worst of any 1970s/1980s 135mm lens I know ...

caspert79 wrote:
The Canon I want to compare against my Mamiya E 50/3.5 macro; there's very little info on the Mamiya. I love to do tests with lenses that are under the radar; the first impression is very good. But the Canon is probably a strong contender. I might throw in the Mamiya EF 50/1.4 as well in an infinity test, as it is a very strong performer.

Will be interesting ... I'll probably make the same test in parallel ... just for fun Wink

S


PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 macro
Mamiya CS 135mm f/2.8


Curious what your impression of the last will be.


Me too. Mamiya collector Herron likes it a lot. Stephan found it to have quite heavy CA's. Will probably do a comparison against some of my better 135's.

The Canon I want to compare against my Mamiya E 50/3.5 macro; there's very little info on the Mamiya. I love to do tests with lenses that are under the radar; the first impression is very good. But the Canon is probably a strong contender. I might throw in the Mamiya EF 50/1.4 as well in an infinity test, as it is a very strong performer.


CA's I can deal with but the fringing is harder to correct. Tried a UV filter as that can sometimes reduce it but that did not help either. It is the lightest 2.8 around I think but the Minolta MD III 135mm 3.5 is the one I use.

I had the FL 50mm 3.5 macro, Tessar type, the FD is better IIRCC.