Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I have not been very active, life has come at me. I am building up a backlog of things to post about...

Of most interest recently is this. I am trying to determine the details of these slightly slower projection lenses that Kowa made. Although I wouldn't want to automatically group them with >f1.1 'X-ray' collimator lenses.

I have seen at least one example of a Kowa 38.3mm f1.4 projection lens, with the lens ring on the narrower end: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1311900050/set-of-2-fast-projection-lenses (there was an eBay listing I had bookmarked but it disappeared)

Like with this 46mm lens, quite specific focal lengths. Maybe to be paired with something else?

and before I forget, I literally posted a Kowa ad listing some of their 'X-ray' collimator projection lens specifications, but most faster than f1.1: http://forum.mflenses.com/some-official-specifications-on-f-1-kowa-lenses-t83328.html and not automatically related.

I am unsure if this will do full frame but the rear element is clearly much larger than other 50mm projection lenses intended for little more than 16mm film or 'M4/3'.

And before I dampen my enthusiasm, the rear element size of typical 50mm f1.4 SLR lenses I'm looking at are similar if not smaller.

But that's not an automatic guarantee as this Kowa could be for finite conjugates. Although all the finite conjugate projection lenses I've seen have been a lot faster, no doubt to remain fast as your effective aperture decreases at extension. Not that this disqualifies the f1.4 Kowa in any way.

EDIT: also interesting to note that without the sticker, who knows what it would be? Smile maybe that dates it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to buy any more lenses this year nor do I want to collect Panagor zooms (just the primes) but I was curious about this one and it popped up in a saved search so I snapped it up before it would go for 10 euro's. So I bid 25 and it was in instant sale.

Panagor PMC Auto zoom 35-100mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Panagor PMC Auto zoom 35-100mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Soligor.

135mm f2.8.

Beautifully manufactured. The ribbed and scalloped focusing collar is very smooth in operation- almost as nice as a nikkor.

First test shot on the D-810 shows a bit of haze wide open at f2.8.
This lens may be a candidate for learning how to clean elements, if I can work myself up to it.

MFD wide open is pretty thin and longish, and displays a bit of blue/purple fringe.

Considerable improvement by f5.6.

I actually like this quite a bit.
Not quite the I/Q of the nikkor Q 135 f2.8, but it's no real slouch either.
It's depth of field is pretty thin wide open.

The ergonomics and build quality are superb.
It has the half f-stops, ala Vivitar, but not really a problem with me.
It also has a somewhat tight built in sliding lens hood/shade, which I neglected to get a photo of extended...
More to play with yet, and a bit more testing...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
pic

My first Soligor.

135mm f2.8.

pic

Beautifully manufactured. The ribbed and scalloped focusing collar is very smooth in operation- almost as nice as a nikkor.

pic

First test shot on the D-810 shows a bit of haze wide open at f2.8.
This lens may be a candidate for learning how to clean elements, if I can work myself up to it.

pic

MFD wide open is pretty thin and longish, and displays a bit of blue/purple fringe.

pic

Considerable improvement by f5.6.

I actually like this quite a bit.
Not quite the I/Q of the nikkor Q 135 f2.8, but it's no real slouch either.
It's depth of field is pretty thin wide open.

The ergonomics and build quality are superb.
It has the half f-stops, ala Vivitar, but not really a problem with me.
It also has a somewhat tight built in sliding lens hood/shade, which I neglected to get a photo of extended...
More to play with yet, and a bit more testing...

-D.S.

Congrats Tokina-made in 1971

walter g wrote:
Updated list
Updated 3\19\16

Soligor Codes

1 = Tokina
2 = Sun
3 = Sun
4 = Sun
5 = ???
6 = Komine
7 = Sun
8 = Tokina
9 = Kobori
31 = ??? *
A = Komura #
H4 = Kawanon ? #
H5 = Komine #
H6 = Komine #
H7= Tokina #
H37 = Kawanon? #
KA. = Kyoei Acall #
M = ??? #
N = ??? #
R = Itoh #
T = Tamron #

Code system. First number = Maker.
Second number = Decade
Third number = Year

*Six digit lens date code unknown.

# Letter code lens date code unknown.

..... DISCLAMER THIS IS A WORKING LIST......
..... IT MAY CHANGE AS NEW EVIDENCE IS FOUND....

I updated the list and added:
KA = Kyoei
R. = Itoh
8. = Tokina
9. = Kobori

I removed:
9 = Kiron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Congrats Tokina-made in 1971

Thank you!

Like 1 Like 1

I was going cross-eyed trying to find manufacturer's data for this lens.

I should add that it has a beautiful 10 bladed iris in it- lots to look forward to this spring.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found a good Soligor 105mm f/2.8 at a good price!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally this beauty is back from a cleaning, and finally I am in town to get it. Will fly with me tomorrow back home in the Canaries to test it a bit. Together with another beauty.... the Hexanon 45-100 UC. Second one I have, the other one is not working properly and bought this one to be able to fix the other one comparing both.... but it is in absolutely inmaculate condition, so I will probably not open it at all! Cannot wait to test it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I quite like the 57/1.2 👍. Bokeh is also pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this a while ago from KEH in 'ugly' condition. It does have some small remnants of fungus etching on the rear element, but apart from that it is in decent condition. A fairly modest triplet, the only reason to buy is for the interest in something unusual from a lesser known marque. I don't know exactly what years these were marketed (possibly early to mid 50s), but the coatings and flare resistance are rudimentary, I am waiting for a sunny day to at least see what it can do in good light.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This also arrived whilst I was away at work over Christmas. Bought from the Goodwill auction site, it has a few issues. There are marks on the glass between the two front elements I can't get to, it doesn't seem to want to unscrew easily. I did clean from the front and rear sides of the two front elements though. There was also a mark on the mirror that I made worse by trying to clean it. Lesson learned.

The only place I could find much on the web was at: https://jimchungblog.com/2018/01/28/checking-out-the-sigma-500-mm-f-4-xq-mirror-lens/
That copy has a different handle to my copy, and is not marked 'multicoated' on the name ring. My copy also has two rear glass elements instead of one, one moving and one stationary. I have an aquaintance that also owns a copy, however his copy is different than mine or the other type normally seen on the web. It has a leather/vinyl wraparound carrying sleeve, the handle is not permanently attached.

I was happy with the resolution and contrast, which was definitely more than I expected it to be. It doesn't seem to have that much vignette either.

edit - it's been a while since I used the larger of my tripods, a Viltrox type bought off Aliexpress. It was a breezy day, but between the tripod and the IBIS the view finder was nice and stable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronicas!

I have acquired an SQ-Ai and PS 65, 80 & 150 lenses, with a Fotodiox TLT/ROKR adapter due soon so I can play with them on my 5Ds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

Like 1

Impressive mirror lens!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the same size as rokkor RF 80cm f8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contaflex super B and Super BC with 50/2,8 both, and pro tessars 35/3,2, 85/3,2 and 115/4.

And voigtlander Ultramatic CS with skopar 50/2,8 and skoparex 35/3,4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

This also arrived whilst I was away at work over Christmas. Bought from the Goodwill auction site, it has a few issues. There are marks on the glass between the two front elements I can't get to, it doesn't seem to want to unscrew easily. I did clean from the front and rear sides of the two front elements though. There was also a mark on the mirror that I made worse by trying to clean it. Lesson learned.

The only place I could find much on the web was at: https://jimchungblog.com/2018/01/28/checking-out-the-sigma-500-mm-f-4-xq-mirror-lens/
That copy has a different handle to my copy, and is not marked 'multicoated' on the name ring. My copy also has two rear glass elements instead of one, one moving and one stationary. I have an aquaintance that also owns a copy, however his copy is different than mine or the other type normally seen on the web. It has a leather/vinyl wraparound carrying sleeve, the handle is not permanently attached.

Very nice find!

I note the orange cover Sigma XQ lenses brochure shows the 500mm f/4 with two rear elements like with yours:

My blue cover one, which appears to be an earlier catalogue given there is only one zoom and no 400mm f5.6, shows the same diagram:

So I'm curious what's going on with Jim's.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

&*%"%*£&*£%** !!!!!!!!!!

I left it too late...

Maybe a thread for "what's the latest lens you didn't add to your collection?" Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
&*%"%*£&*£%** !!!!!!!!!!

I left it too late...

Maybe a thread for "what's the latest lens you didn't add to your collection?" Wink

That happens to me all the time Wink

For a collector, the Telespect is certainly very interesting but I doubt a photographer would be very happy with it. Recently, I've read a very thorough review of 500 mm something lenses conducted by the accomplished lens tester Schön and the Telespect as well as the optically identical Makowsky-Katoptaron 500mm f/8 came out as two of the worst mirror lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
eggplant wrote:
&*%"%*£&*£%** !!!!!!!!!!

I left it too late...

For a collector, the Telespect is certainly very interesting but I doubt a photographer would be very happy with it. Recently, I've read a very thorough review of 500 mm something lenses conducted by the accomplished lens tester Schön and the Telespect as well as the optically identical Makowsky-Katoptaron 500mm f/8 came out as two of the worst mirror lenses.

Interesting, do you have a link to that? Maybe I've been saved...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Alsatian2017 wrote:
eggplant wrote:
&*%"%*£&*£%** !!!!!!!!!!

I left it too late...

Unfortunately, that would be long to scan, since the second part of the two articles regarding the 500 mm mirror and refractor lenses spreads between the pages 48 and 65 of the May 1980 number of Color Foto. In the conclusion, he wrote the following :

" The two lenses with oblique mirrors (Schiefspiegler), on the other hand, have no chance of a good ranking. In addition to the aforementioned handling shortcomings and the very low (real) speed, they are also clearly at the bottom of the field in terms of image quality."

In fact, Schön complains that the image in the viewfinder shifts with the two lenses (Meta Catoptaron and Telespect) while focusing by no less than 10 mm which makes tripod photography very tricky. In terms of image quality, both render OK sharpness in the center but extremely fuzzy borders and corners, the MTF graph reveals problems with vertical picture details and lack of symmetry outside of the center. BTW, The T-Number of both lenses is around f/13.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely brilliant on my GFX, although it is rather large and heavy with the adapter. The minimum focus distance is also long at 1.6m. A small extension tube fixes that nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Absolutely brilliant on my GFX, although it is rather large and heavy with the adapter. The minimum focus distance is also long at 1.6m. A small extension tube fixes that nicely.

Congrats

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
eggplant wrote:
Alsatian2017 wrote:
eggplant wrote:
&*%"%*£&*£%** !!!!!!!!!!

I left it too late...

Unfortunately, that would be long to scan, since the second part of the two articles regarding the 500 mm mirror and refractor lenses spreads between the pages 48 and 65 of the May 1980 number of Color Foto. In the conclusion, he wrote the following :

" The two lenses with oblique mirrors (Schiefspiegler), on the other hand, have no chance of a good ranking. In addition to the aforementioned handling shortcomings and the very low (real) speed, they are also clearly at the bottom of the field in terms of image quality."

In fact, Schön complains that the image in the viewfinder shifts with the two lenses (Meta Catoptaron and Telespect) while focusing by no less than 10 mm which makes tripod photography very tricky. In terms of image quality, both render OK sharpness in the center but extremely fuzzy borders and corners, the MTF graph reveals problems with vertical picture details and lack of symmetry outside of the center. BTW, The T-Number of both lenses is around f/13.

I wouldn't ask that you have to scan it in, or translate, really phone pictures in good light will do and I can feed it into OCR. As much as the images matter.

That article's historical value and use for the forum seems pretty high. Of course, no pressure, but I will probably try finding this second hand or online, but the English language bias on the web hurts magazines like this hard.

EDIT: I assume this is the May one? It says so at the top.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised I won this one. The lens appears to be in good condition, listed in the right category. Maybe one blotch of fungus I spot but basically under first element and likely not even worth cleaning it for. OM Mount. I shall put it up against a common 400mm f5 telescope, and one later version of the Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO (once I clean it).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this last year from Yahoo Japan, 3200 Yen, listed as junk. I managed to clean most of the fungus, unfotunately there was some etching. The zoom mechanism was also showing lots of creep, which for a 2 touch lens is unusual, I managed to cure that with some thick card/paper doubled over and inserted between the rotating zoom collar and the lens element guide, glued in place to avoid it moving around.

For a 1962 zoom, I found the IQ decent, of course not quite as good as their later efforts, but IMO, entirely acceptable. I have to say, I think this is one of the best looking lenses Minolta made, I'm a big fan of zebra styling..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very interesting, a real rarity.

I have seen a scan from a photo magazine at the time comparing this to many zooms at the time, I will see if I can dig it out.