Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

I've got the radioactive version with 8 blades. I've been thinking about trying to pick up another version just because it's damn tough to completely de-yellow the hot inner element.

How do you do the de-yellowing? I tried to de-yellow my Pancolar 50mm F1.4 but could not see any improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

räuber wrote:
KEO wrote:

I've got the radioactive version with 8 blades. I've been thinking about trying to pick up another version just because it's damn tough to completely de-yellow the hot inner element.

How do you do the de-yellowing? I tried to de-yellow my Pancolar 50mm F1.4 but could not see any improvement.

I have a UV bug light panel. I put the lens in front of it and put a mirror behind the lens.

It's probably not the best way to do it, but it's worked completely for every lens I've tried except the Pancolar 50 1.8. After two days under the lamp about 90-95% of the yellowing was cleared, but that final 5%-10% is very, very stubborn. It didn't seem to improve any more no matter how long I left it under the light.

I even removed the front optical block so the brown element, which is a single inner element, was directly exposed to the UV, and that didn't seem to make a difference.

If the 50 1.4 has the same sort of glass mixture, it'll probably take a long time under UV to clear it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed this not-often-seen Exakta Twin TL this morning (sellers pic). A rebadge of the Cosina Hi-Lite with an orphan lens mount, this one looks to have seen very little use, hopefully everything is operative (i.e. metering etc).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a seller who's been selling batches of lenses rather minimally described, and in one lot I spotted this:

The rare(ish) tamron adaptall SP 70-150mm f2.8 SOFT - 51A. It was clearly identifiable in the listing by the "SOFT" being visible in a couple of pics. Would another lynx eyed lens hunter (possibly from this forum!) spot it? Judging from the end price, guess not. Bit of a small scuff on the front element, and the hood is missing but otherwise AOK. The rest of the lot is nothing of any great interest: makinon 28mm (m42 loose front end), hanimex 80-200mm (pk looks ok), bell and howell 35-70mm (pk bit of rainbowing front group), prinzgalaxy preset t-mount 135mm (iris stuck/broken), viv (kiron) 70-150mm (cfd looks ok), classic 1960's t-mount 300mm f5.5 curiously no name on the nameplate just "300mm 1:5.5 telephoto lens" and with jammed focus.
PS anyone know who made the bell and howell zoom? The macro mode is extension of the focus group, not a built in extension tube like eg adaptall 35-135mm 40A.

And this is the p-g 135mm. 1970's I would guess, earlier ones tend to have metal ribbed focus. 55mm filter, cfd 2.2m; Tokina?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
There's a seller who's been selling batches of lenses rather minimally described, and in one lot I spotted this:

The rare(ish) tamron adaptall SP 70-150mm f2.8 SOFT - 51A. It was clearly identifiable in the listing by the "SOFT" being visible in a couple of pics. Would another lynx eyed lens hunter (possibly from this forum!) spot it? Judging from the end price, guess not. Bit of a small scuff on the front element, and the hood is missing but otherwise AOK.

Congrats Friends
70-150mm f2.8 SOFT !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

The rare(ish) tamron adaptall SP 70-150mm f2.8 SOFT. It was clearly identifiable in the listing by the "SOFT" being visible in a couple of pics. Would another lynx eyed lens hunter (possibly from this forum!) spot it? Judging from the end price, guess not. Bit of a small scuff on the front element, and the hood is missing but otherwise AOK. The rest of the lot is nothing of any great interest: makinon 28mm (m42 loose front end), hanimex 80-200mm (pk looks ok), bell and howell 35-70mm (pk bit of rainbowing front group), prinzgalaxy preset t-mount 135mm (iris stuck/broken), viv (kiron) 70-150mm (cfd looks ok), classic 1960's t-mount 300mm f5.5 curiously no name on the nameplate just "300mm 1:5.5 telephoto lens" and with jammed focus.
PS anyone know who made the bell and howell zoom? The macro mode is extension of the focus group, not a built in extension tube like eg adaptall 35-135mm 40A.

And this is the p-g 135mm. 1970's I would guess, earlier ones tend to have metal ribbed focus. 55mm filter, cfd 2.2m; Tokina?

Sorry I have to remove the pic ULRs otherwise forum police will catch me. But Nice finding!! The 70-150 soft is so rare.

The Bell/Howell zoom looks like Osawa lens. Osawa is said to make their own lenses. I have their 24mm/2.8 and 28mm/2.8. Both are decent lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 500mm f8 55B. I found the lens is complete with hood, tripod collar, and four color filters so I jumped onto it and passed another one without the tripod collar and the four filters. But later I found the one I passed is 55BB. Sad

Last edited by vivaldibow on Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85 arrived this week and 135 is on it's way

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Tamron 500mm f8 55B. I found the lens is complete with hood, tripod collar, and four color filters so I jumped onto it and passed another one without the tripod collar and the four filters. But later I found the one I passed is 55BB. Sad

Congrats I've not seen the two versions compared. I have seen great results from both. 55BB has different camera-side optics; supposed to be better for close-up according to Adaptall-2.com

My 55BB came with 4 filters in Tamron case -- I don't know if that combination was ever sold new; could have been assembled by a collector.

(Edited to correct model id from 52B to 55B)

Last edited by visualopsins on Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
85 arrived this week and 135 is on it's way...

Congrats the 85 makes me Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that vivaldibow, yep thats an osawa. And good job cutting out the pic url's from your quote - repetitive duplication of the pics is a bugbear of mine..

52B/BB is the 90mm adaptall folks, the 500mm mirrors are 55B and 55BB. There's been some of those going for good prices recently. Got one myself in fact sub twenty quid Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Thanks for that vivaldibow, yep thats an osawa. And good job cutting out the pic url's from your quote - repetitive duplication of the pics is a bugbear of mine..

52B/BB is the 90mm adaptall folks, the 500mm mirrors are 55B and 55BB. There's been some of those going for good prices recently. Got one myself in fact sub twenty quid Smile

Embarassed Thanks for catching typos! I have two now too. LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good spot on the Tamron SOFT - those sorts of listings are always enjoyable, not even because I want to get a low price or taking advantage of the seller's misfortune, but just for the chance of seeing rare stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

I have this lens in a slightly different livery from Cambron, and it can be found in other badgings as well. It's a budget 135, but IMO not a bad one. I've kept my copy and sold similar from far more well known manufacturers. If identical to mine it will have 10 quite straight blades for very distinct sunstars, and an IQ that belies its budget status. It's useful for when you need good IQ but don't want to risk damage to your favourite brand name lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Congrats I've not seen the two versions compared. I have seen great results from both. 55BB has different camera-side optics; supposed to be better for close-up according to Adaptall-2.com

My 55BB came with 4 filters in Tamron case -- I don't know if that combination was ever sold new; could have been assembled by a collector.

Yeah, that’s what I read last night.
But it is interesting to hear your 55BB comes with four filters, indeed perhaps the previous owner added.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

But it is interesting to hear your 55BB comes with four filters, indeed perhaps the previous owner added.

The 55BB came with the four filters in their own wallet as a part of the lens package from new.
There was even a space for them inside the hard case for the lens itself.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

The 55BB came with the four filters in their own wallet as a part of the lens package from new.
Tom

The 55B I am getting is like that. I searched the eBay and found one 55BB that comes with the four color filters. So what I read in the other website is incorrect. Thanks for the correction Tom.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Tom

The 55B I am getting is like that. I searched the eBay and found one 55BB that comes with the four color filters. So what I read in the other website is incorrect. Thanks for the correction Tom.

Oh - I might be getting my B's and BB's mixed up
I had the version with the rotating tripod collar and thought it to be the 55BB, but it may have been the earlier version.
I remember four filters with mine - Red, yellow, polarising and ND I think, but there could have been a green filter as well - the curse of fading memory - sorry
Nevertheless, you have a set of filters with yours and that is good
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Leica M lens....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Tom

Oh - I might be getting my B's and BB's mixed up
I had the version with the rotating tripod collar and thought it to be the 55BB, but it may have been the earlier version.
I remember four filters with mine - Red, yellow, polarising and ND I think, but there could have been a green filter as well - the curse of fading memory - sorry
Nevertheless, you have a set of filters with yours and that is good
Tom

Only 55B has the tripod collar...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Congrats

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Tamron 500mm f8 52B. I found the lens is complete with hood, tripod collar, and four color filters so I jumped onto it and passed another one without the tripod collar and the four filters. But later I found the one I passed is 52BB. Sad

I am on my second try with the 55 B.

There were some slight changes to the build- mostly concerning the hood.
Earlier variations could not thread the hood onto the lens in reverse for storage purposes.
There were also very minor changes to the rotating tripod collar hardware- mostly the lock screws.

I spoke with a fellow that had bought a 55 B new, and the case, hood and filters came with the lens in a paper box.
The filter case has room for four more filters that could be bought as extra- mostly different strengths of n/d.

The later variant 55 B that I now have seriously out performs the earlier.
It will focus well past infinity.
I tried some hand-held Lunar shots with it the other night, and came away greatly impressed.
It is however, really designed for tripod use, which I am going to have to do seriously, before the weather turns too cold here.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

WOW!!! Congrats Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

The rare(ish) tamron adaptall SP 70-150mm f2.8 SOFT - 51A. It was clearly identifiable in the listing by the "SOFT" being visible in a couple of pics. Would another lynx eyed lens hunter (possibly from this forum!) spot it? Judging from the end price, guess not. Bit of a small scuff on the front element, and the hood is missing but otherwise AOK.

Judging by sold prices many sellers are unaware of the vast price difference between this lens and stock 70-150s so there are some very low BIN sales. I picked up a scruffy copy with minor optical issues that way for £15. Even with a little fungus and quite a bit of dust it's a fairly sharp lens and the Soft feature is fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor, this one a "P" variant.

Looks to have been worked on, and hurriedly cleaned as well.

I don't know if the black lettering on the name ring is factory, or not.
It's the first I've seen black lettering on a Nikkor with a black ring.
Just wondering if the white enamel lettering has been scrubbed off, painted over, or never applied?

Reproduction size scales on the chrome tube, also showing the knurled aperture ring, and it's index screw.

Lens rear with the aperture return spring just visible at lower left of image center. Aperture at f5.6 here showing the 6 slightly curved blades.

There is a bit of a difference in contrast between this and the P.C. version, most likely due to the single coating on the earlier lens. The P.C. has the more familiar green Nikkor multi-coating.

-D.S.