Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiratone 135mm f/1.8 with Spiralite 82mm Filter. From an old ad flyer, Spiratone claims it is possible to design such a lens thanks to rare earth element.
Will test if it is radioactive.

Just tested. Not radioactive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably don't need another project but this one was too cheap to pass by. This lens seems pretty rare with the Hanimex/Hanimar brand on it, but after researching I suspect it's identical to the somewhat more common Chinon 55/1.4. This has an M42 mount. This copy is super clean, only issue is the aperture stuck fully open.

Once I'm a bit more comfortable doing minor lens surgery, I'll probably see if I can resolve that. In the mean time I'll just shoot it wide open.

Last edited by hapgood on Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the Tomioka 55/1.4 before you open it make sure the aperture switch isn't in auto mode :p

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
That's the Tomioka 55/1.4 before you open it make sure the aperture switch isn't in auto mode :p

To be sure, I have made similar oversights before (I have a Canon FL 35/2.5 preset lens that I'm still not sure if the aperture is wonky or if it just works differently than every other preset lens I have), but in this case I've tested this lens on both auto and manual and it's stuck at 1.4 no matter what.

My limited research indicates there's rather wide variance on the Tomioka 55/1.4's in terms of which parts were used and how pleasant they are to open up and service. I've even read theories that production might have been farmed out to different plants/shops, but I can't verify that.

There's a teardown and repair video on YouTube of what would appear to be an identical lens that makes it look pretty straightforward, so I guess we'll see! I've got a handful of lenses that need less invasive work done first, though. I'm still teaching myself basic lens maintenance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leatherette for a focus grip is sort of a nice custom looking touch.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

Very Chinon Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 Takumar 1;2.4 f=58mm (Heliar) https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--24-f58.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
M42 Takumar 1;2.4 f=58mm (Heliar) https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--24-f58.html
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

Very Chinon Smile

Very tomioka?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

Very Chinon Smile

Very tomioka?

The leatherette is very Chinon.
Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon Micro-NIKKOR-P•C Auto 1:3.5 f=55mm

Vivitar 100mm 1:2.8 MC 1:1 MACRO TELEPHOTO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Here is the lens mentioned earlier today.
Please excuse the hurried phone pictures.

A twin-ring constant aperture zoom Wink

The orange, red, and white markings are kind of nice.

It cost me all of $20.00 Canadian.
A bit dusty on the inside with 3 fairly large particles, and a bit of "haze".
I don't see any fungus spots.
Mount is a pre-a/i nikon f. This is the first 3rd party pre-a/i lens that has given me trouble.
It went on the D-810 with little trouble, but getting it dis-mounted was another story.
I had to pull the battery out of the camera in order for the lens to release.
I won't be putting it back on anytime soon- it will still make a good toy for my older film cameras.
I took a couple of hurried quick frames while it was monunted, and have yet to examine them.
Not expecting much, based on what I saw through the viewfinder.

-D.S.

Hi Doc! I thought that lens looked familiar. I thought I had the same thing in Vivitar. Nope... different focal length range. Serial number indicates mine is a Tokina. It makes me wonder who made your copy.

I can outdo anyone one bad photographs. These are from a dedicated camera. I took them in a snap-shot kind of fashion to record what box they are stored in. "Keepers" in that box, but stored to being a specialty lens on an X-T1 crop sensor. Keepers can get replaced, but not really used or tested this one yet. Photos I did take are from a weakish tripod. Picked up last September, 22 USD delivered.

They look like cousins. Maybe not? Rolling Eyes

This one has a built in lens hood/shade.

Friends

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Do you have a picture of the Vivitar? It doesn't immediately ring a bell.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close! The tripod foot and ring are quite similar, as are the red scales on the main tube.
The built-in lens hood on mine is a very tight friction fit.

I have been able to find out absolutely nothing on this lens.
It seems Bell and Howell were importers like Ponder and Best when it came to still cameras and lenses.
There is very little on line about their still cameras, apart from the FD-35, which of course took Canon FD lenses, and was built by Canon. Nothing on their consumer grade after-market lenses.

Thanks for posting. It is very close in appearance, and may hint at a common manufacturer.
The optics certainly are not Tokina's top grade Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a good photo, Doc. Just from memory, I think the tripod mount might be the same. But I could be confusing that with another lens. I did not look very hard as for any information on either of our lenses. I don't see a Tokina at all like mine in the pentax forum database.

Another Tokina made, to the right of the one I posted, I like better for it's size and weight. What I don't like is it does not have, but could certainly use, a tripod mount. Pentax forum, IIRC, rates it higher if it is sold by Tamron rather than Vivitar. Mine came with a Tamron lens cap, so I guess it is in between. Few reviews on either, so probably a difference of opinion and/or sample variation. I cannot say what the optical difference is between these two in the photo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good mail day today and also picked up a gem locally.

Been working on my Takumar collection and I'm to the part where what's left are the more rare and expensive ones that may be more collectible than useful. That said, I was happy to pick up this 100mm f4 Macro-Takumar on eBay as it's one I don't have yet and will certainly use.

Also picked this up today locally, and I suppose this counts because technically it has a lens. Very Happy

Bought it from a delightful older gentleman. It belonged to his father, and this was his 'spare' Leica, hence the very crisp condition. He apparently had another, "knock-around" Leica that saw a lot more travel and use over the years. A 'spare' Leica. Can you imagine?!

I need to properly inspect the lens but I suspect that due to it's living in a case most of it's life the front lens surface may be in much better condition than most you see out there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an Optomax, a Telesar badged version and a Tokina. So we could assume it's indeed Tokina made.

https://www.foto-sandor.de/en/tokina-auto-zoom-80-250mm-80-250-mm-1-4-5-4-5-fuer-k-ar-konica/lenses/manual-focus-for/konica_20269_10126

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:

There is an Optomax, a Telesar badged version and a Tokina. So we could assume it's indeed Tokina made.

https://www.foto-sandor.de/en/tokina-auto-zoom-80-250mm-80-250-mm-1-4-5-4-5-fuer-k-ar-konica/lenses/manual-focus-for/konica_20269_10126
Like Dog Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hapgood wrote:
Good mail day today and also picked up a gem locally.

Been working on my Takumar collection and I'm to the part where what's left are the more rare and expensive ones that may be more collectible than useful. That said, I was happy to pick up this 100mm f4 Macro-Takumar on eBay as it's one I don't have yet and will certainly use.

Like 1 Like 1 Way useful imho! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Do you have a picture of the Vivitar? It doesn't immediately ring a bell.

Click here to see on Ebay

not sure if this one for auction is the same lens Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:

Thanks for posting.
Very close, other than the reversed aperture ring, and scale colors on mine.
Mine seems to lose any semblance of sharpness by 250mm.
It is entirely passable at 80mm, which may have been by design.
The MFD of 6 feet/ < 2 meters hints to me of early 70's manufacture.
It's weight is no where near as heavy as it looks- about 1/2 the weight of my series 1 70-210.

Edit: Just mounted it on my new to me FT-2 Nikkormat, and it properly indexes with the pre-a/i aperture system.
Clicks in normally and shows the proper position on the indicator scale.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst biting a bullet, purchased TECHART LM-EA7 6.0 II PRO to permit faster focus of moving subjects...faster than mf alone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carenar Auto 35mm f/3.5
Many people here judge lenses like that off as boring and crappy but this copy is actually very evenly sharp wide open, for a vintage 35mm anyway. It's quite surprising, really.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Whilst biting a bullet, purchased TECHART LM-EA7 6.0 II PRO to permit faster focus of moving subjects...faster than mf alone.

Wise decision. Wink
I'm still satisfied with mine. Very helpful accessory.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After more than a month in customs some bonehead figured this was a return shipment (it wasn't) so I didn't have to pay anything.

Super-Komura 135mm 1:2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Super-Komura 135mm 1:2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

filter ring got dented in transport Sad Looks good otherwise. Aperture looks preset but isn't. It has the uni-auto adapter (to m42) with aperture pin (like Tamron adapt-a-matic or adaptall) so I can use it on other Super-Komura lenses.