Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Is your new 300 the makinon made? I also have 2 of these. One is good enough for me. The other one bad. I'm trying to remember how many actual makers there were for the 300. There is a thread somewhere but if I remember well, the Makinon - although a hit and miss - is the better one.

it's not, it looks to be the same as the spiratone minitel 300mm and various others, but doesn't have the threading for rear filters, so very slightly different from the other ones i already have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almaza321 wrote:
Is this lens compatible with a Canon Kiss x5 Rebel?

Yes but you will need the right adapter. With most mounts no problem, but if the lens mount is for the old manual Canon FD, or Minolta MD or for Konica AR, your adapter will have a glass element to allow for infinity focus. These adapter are generally considered being of poor quality. You can remove the glass element. You will loose the infinity focus and a 300mm lens should then have a maximum focusing range of about 15m. But I'm not sure of that at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sankyo Kohki Komura 200mm 1:4.5 It was just 10 euro's and I could pick it up nearby. The lens body is just as long as the compact tele-takumar 200/5.6 but 2/3 of a stop brighter. I'll show a pic tomorrow when I have daylight.

Sankyo Kohki Komura 200mm 1:4.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Last edited by D1N0 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MC I 58/1.4

Already have the MC II version, but was curious. Also was not expensive. Focus is very stiff, but that was understood up front. Glass looks like new. Lacks the yellow glow of the MC II version Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knudsen wrote:
Minolta MC I 58/1.4

Already have the MC II version, but was curious. Also was not expensive. Focus is very stiff, but that was understood up front. Glass looks like new. Lacks the yellow glow of the MC II version Smile

Yep. An most probably your MC-I 1.4/58mm will behave differently as well. As far as I know, the AR/MC-I lenses have a different optical construction; the MC-II seems to have been "optimized" using either new glass, or the (at the time) new "large computer" at Minolta, or both!

S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, all!

I've learned a tremendous amount from this forum and all of you over the years, and I thought it was finally time to quit lurking and make a post or two, especially as I've recently been focusing on building out my collection of vintage lenses.

Here's a fun one that just came in the mail: a Mosler "Photoguard" 35mm f2.8 preset with an Exacta mount. Squeaky clean and built like a fine watch.

From my various searches I've learned that these were standard kit in old film-based security cameras often found in banks. Never seen a 100% ID on who made them, though. This one was especially appealing as it's a preset model which makes it more ideal for adapting to video, and because it looks basically brand new!

Also, Mosler Safe Co. was founded and headquartered in my hometown of Cincinnati Ohio!

Haven't had a chance to put this lens through it's paces yet but I'll update with some images when I do. I'm a little hindered at the moment as my primary stills camera has an m4/3 sensor and I always hate testing vintage lenses with that crop factor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Knudsen wrote:
Minolta MC I 58/1.4

Yep. An most probably your MC-I 1.4/58mm will behave differently as well. As far as I know, the AR/MC-I lenses have a different optical construction; the MC-II seems to have been "optimized" using either new glass, or the (at the time) new "large computer" at Minolta, or both!

S

Thank you for your comment sir!

I think it was last Wednesday, I took a few photos with this lens. I wish I had a pipe wrench to use on the focus ring !!!

Sadly, on the same walk, I noted quite a discrepancy with my MC II 58/1.4 It seem to have a looseness in the focus ring... sloppy focus Sad So I now have 2 lenses to repair Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome hapgood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Turtle here hapgood!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welocme here hapgood!
Welcome Turtle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knudsen wrote:

I think it was last Wednesday, I took a few photos with this lens. I wish I had a pipe wrench to use on the focus ring !!!
Sadly, on the same walk, I noted quite a discrepancy with my MC II 58/1.4 It seem to have a looseness in the focus ring... sloppy focus Sad So I now have 2 lenses to repair Sad

I haven't been servicing either of them, but - if you have the necessary tools, cleaning agents (e. g. propanol or beter acetone) and finally a proper lubricant at hand - it should be quite doable.

S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Sankyo Kohki Komura 200mm 1:4.5 It was just 10 euro's and I could pick it up nearby. The lens body is just as long as the compact tele-takumar 200/5.6 but 2/3 of a stop brighter. I'll show a pic tomorrow when I have daylight.

i love that lens, rendering is shockingly excellent for such a tiny little thing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hapgood wrote:

Here's a fun one that just came in the mail: a Mosler "Photoguard" 35mm f2.8 preset with an Exacta mount. Squeaky clean and built like a fine watch.

From my various searches I've learned that these were standard kit in old film-based security cameras often found in banks. Never seen a 100% ID on who made them, though. This one was especially appealing as it's a preset model which makes it more ideal for adapting to video, and because it looks basically brand new!

Also, Mosler Safe Co. was founded and headquartered in my hometown of Cincinnati Ohio!

I recently acquired a very similar one, but Diebold-branded, probably under similar circumstances

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
I recently acquired a very similar one, but Diebold-branded, probably under similar circumstances

Let me know how you like yours? And of course if you solve the mystery of it's origins.

Would also be interested to see pics of yours for comparison purposes if that's something you're up for.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long time searching and waiting, finally I got a Soligor 135mm f2, the last C/D prime that I had missed in my collection.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
After a long time searching and waiting, finally I got a Soligor 135mm f2, the last C/D prime that I had missed in my collection.

Congratulations!

Getting "the last one" of a series is always nice Wink ... And I'm sure we soon will get a nice "family photo" ...

S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Congratulations!

Getting "the last one" of a series is always nice Wink ... And I'm sure we soon will get a nice "family photo" ...

S

Haha, thanks; indeed, feel like a project is done. A fellow member has already shown the family photo. Smile
My other C/D primes are scattered in a few plastic containers; definitely need to sort them out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Sigma 100mm 1:2.8 Micromacro YS System focusing Reply with quote

Just picked up a Sigma 100mm 1:2.8 Micromacro YS System focusing. Its one of the variable soft focus lenses. Have the 85mm pentax and Minolta soft focus. Am interested to see how this compares...

And a Kiron 28mm but in the less common F2.0....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
stevemark wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Congratulations!

S

Haha, thanks; indeed, feel like a project is done. A fellow member has already shown the family photo. Smile
My other C/D primes are scattered in a few plastic containers; definitely need to sort them out.

here http://forum.mflenses.com/my-soligor-prime-collection-grows-t82620.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Knudsen wrote:

I haven't been servicing either of them, but - if you have the necessary tools, cleaning agents (e. g. propanol or beter acetone) and finally a proper lubricant at hand - it should be quite doable.

S

I have the tools, need to find lube. I've been inside a few lenses and this one is supposed to be easy to service. There is also a pdf on it: https://learncamerarepair.com/downloads/pdf/Astrobaby-Minolta-MC58mm-f1.4.pdf in case you ever need it.

I found another MCII in fair condition for under $50 taxed and delivered (after my discounts), so ordered that. One or the other can be a parts queen.

Quick look at Amazon for the grease and the only one I saw was rated at NLGI 1, If I repair the loose, but smooth helicoid, it might like NLGI 2 better. https://olezol.com/nlgi-grease-consistency-classifications-and-applications.

I was better at lens repair back before I had proper tools and my hands did what I told them to do. Now my hands are better at dropping things. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knudsen wrote:

I have the tools, need to find lube. ...

... Quick look at Amazon for the grease and the only one I saw was rated at NLGI 1, If I repair the loose, but smooth helicoid, it might like NLGI 2 better. https://olezol.com/nlgi-grease-consistency-classifications-and-applications.

Search in Amazon for: Helimax-XP

You may think NLGI 1 is too light but I am not sure; whilst I haven't seen the actual helicoid I suspect you would find NLGI2 too heavy. I have used Helimax-XP in most of my lenses with good results.

If you don't mind ordering from Japan, this is a reliable supplier of a range of helicoid greases of different viscosities:

https://japanhobbytool.com/collections/camera-repair-material/products/hg

I think a limited selection of those Japanese greases are also available through microtools in the US:

https://www.micro-tools.com/collections/lubricants

Since fairly recently, there is also this UK supplier:

https://polarbearcamera.co.uk/home/products/helicoid-lube/

I recently got a set of their lubes, but haven't had an opportunity to try them out yet.

In Europe, there is Pig-Iron. No experience with them:

http://pigiron.eu/Grease.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Knudsen wrote:

I have the tools, need to find lube. ...

... Quick look at Amazon for the grease and the only one I saw was rated at NLGI 1, If I repair the loose, but smooth helicoid, it might like NLGI 2 better. https://olezol.com/nlgi-grease-consistency-classifications-and-applications.

Search in Amazon for: Helimax-XP

You may think NLGI 1 is too light but I am not sure; whilst I haven't seen the actual helicoid I suspect you would find NLGI2 too heavy. I have used Helimax-XP in most of my lenses with good results.

If you don't mind ordering from Japan, this is a reliable supplier of a range of helicoid greases of different viscosities:

https://japanhobbytool.com/collections/camera-repair-material/products/hg

I think a limited selection of those Japanese greases are also available through microtools in the US:

https://www.micro-tools.com/collections/lubricants

Since fairly recently, there is also this UK supplier:

https://polarbearcamera.co.uk/home/products/helicoid-lube/

I recently got a set of their lubes, but haven't had an opportunity to try them out yet.

In Europe, there is Pig-Iron. No experience with them:

http://pigiron.eu/Grease.html

Thanks for that information, Doc. Helimax-XP is the exact lube I saw on Amazon. I'll take your word for it. I don't think I hope not to need to service the helicoid on my MC II version, with another on its way. The MC I will need serviced and that is not a rush. My first MC II was sold as "inoperable" and very inexpensive. It worked right off and all I ever did was open the front to remove some dust. It looks like it was thrown down the stairs a few times.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MC-II 1.8/35mm - which completes my "sub-collection" of Minolta 1.8/35mm lenses:

1) MC-I 1.8/35mm
2) MC-II 1.8/35mm
3) MC-X 1.8/35mm
4) MD-II 1.8/35mm
5) MD-III 1.8/35mm

... and at the same time it nearly completes the subset of "MC-II" lenses ... just the MC-II 2.8/21 ist still missing Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection!

IMHO the MC-I versions generally are the most aesthetically pleasing; knurled focus ring, but not scalloped, and aluminium aperture rings.

I still can't work out if those aperture rings are just anodised aluminium, or if they are matt-chromium plated as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

IMHO the MC-I versions generally are the most aesthetically pleasing

Hmmm ... I started collecting Minolta MF lenses with an MC-X 2.5/28mm which I bought to complement my XM (that one cam without a lens). Before I had only used Minolta AF stuff - the 9000 (bought the first one when I was 1Cool, the 9xi (grudgingly) and the Dynax 9 (excellent camera). The XM was bought to complete my collection of professional Minolta SLRs, and I never planned to acquire another set of lenses (the MinAF lenses were perfect for me). HOWEVER ... I soon saw a VERY cheap MD-II 35-70; then a nice MC 1.7/85, and the rest is history. So my preferred "incarnation" of manual Minolta lenses are the MC-X ... Wink!

RokkorDoctor wrote:

knurled focus ring, but not scalloped, and aluminium aperture rings. I still can't work out if those aperture rings are just anodised aluminium, or if they are matt-chromium plated as well.

I have quite a few MC-I as well; only the MC-I 1.2/58 and the MC-I 3.5/135 are still missing. However I prefer the handling and the smooth focus of later MC-II / MC-X (and to some extent the early MD) lenses. But yeah, you're talking about aesthetics, not real world use Wink

S

PS i really have to update the Minolta SR/AR/MC/MD stuff at artaphot ...especially the images!