Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
benadamx wrote:
grabbed this at the flea market for $25 without looking at it too closely, just saw that it was a weird old 100/2 and that was good enough, didn't realize what i'd found til i got back to the car and had a real antiques roadshow moment

Wow! If I found that lens for "the price is right" of $25 and then sold it east for $5000 I would feel really bad for the person at the flea market who let it go so naive. I would probably return to that vendor and figure out some way to get that person a 10% finder's fee either through more purchases or a one time gratuitous donation.

yeah, have been thinking about that.. he has camera stuff pretty often but generally doesnt know or care what any of it is, so the prices are always about the same ($25 if its beat up, $40 if it isnt, etc... ) this one is a bit worn out and not in great shape (slow aperture due to oil on blades probably, some haze and fungus or separation around the edges of the rear element), question now is do i clean it up as best i can without disassembly, send it off to be CLA'd (who could i possibly trust with that?), and/or try to sell it? wife of course wants me to sell it :/

ALPA to NEX adapter arrives in a few days, will at least try shooting with it before i make any decisions

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
Blazer0ne wrote:
benadamx wrote:
grabbed this at the flea market for $25 without looking at it too closely, just saw that it was a weird old 100/2 and that was good enough, didn't realize what i'd found til i got back to the car and had a real antiques roadshow moment

Wow! If I found that lens for "the price is right" of $25 and then sold it east for $5000 I would feel really bad for the person at the flea market who let it go so naive. I would probably return to that vendor and figure out some way to get that person a 10% finder's fee either through more purchases or a one time gratuitous donation.

yeah, have been thinking about that.. he has camera stuff pretty often but generally doesnt know or care what any of it is, so the prices are always about the same ($25 if its beat up, $40 if it isnt, etc... ) this one is a bit worn out and not in great shape (slow aperture due to oil on blades probably, some haze and fungus or separation around the edges of the rear element), question now is do i clean it up as best i can without disassembly, send it off to be CLA'd (who could i possibly trust with that?), and/or try to sell it? wife of course wants me to sell it :/

ALPA to NEX adapter arrives in a few days, will at least try shooting with it before i make any decisions

Don't you have a decent camera repair shop close by? I guess servicing of this lens can't be to complicated. Only haze or separation could be a problem, but maybe they can at least give their opinion by taking a thorough look at it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally something arrived again

Hanimex Tele-Lens 135mm 1:3.5
Hanimex Tele-Lens 135mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Hanimex Tele-Lens 135mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting serial number.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Don't you have a decent camera repair shop close by? I guess servicing of this lens can't be to complicated. Only haze or separation could be a problem, but maybe they can at least give their opinion by taking a thorough look at it.

camera shops in general, much less repair shops, barely exist in the US anymore, and those that had managed to hang on seem to have closed during the pandemic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a very early Minolta Chiyoko 5cm F2. This one uses 40.5mm filters, the later ones use 43mm filters. I will be taking it apart to clean the internal surface- got is at a great price.

I've seen the Minolta Chiyoko 5cm F2 shown as a 7 element in 4 group design, like the Summitar AND I've seen it shown as a 7 element in 6 group design. Judging by a quick look and count of reflections holding the two lenses side-by-side, I think the answer is Yes, Both are correct- the design changed.

This weekend I should have some time to open it up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
I picked up a very early Minolta Chiyoko 5cm F2. This one uses 40.5mm filters, the later ones use 43mm filters. I will be taking it apart to clean the internal surface- got is at a great price.

I've seen the Minolta Chiyoko 5cm F2 shown as a 7 element in 4 group design, like the Summitar AND I've seen it shown as a 7 element in 6 group design. Judging by a quick look and count of reflections holding the two lenses side-by-side, I think the answer is Yes, Both are correct- the design changed.

This weekend I should have some time to open it up.

Nice, is that m39 mount?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 300mm f9
It will go on my projected 10X8 camera - which is a work in progress

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice + good one!! Classic and sharp repro lens it is Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Nice + good one!! Classic and sharp repro lens it is Like 1

Thanks Klaus.
It took months to arrive from overseas. Very relieved am I to see it
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Nice, is that m39 mount?

It is in 39mm Leica mount, this is my 9th Minolta Chiyoko lens in Leica Mount.

This series of lenses is very good. The 5cm f2 lens gives the closest rendition of a Summitar that I've seen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Nice, is that m39 mount?

It is in 39mm Leica mount, this is my 9th Minolta Chiyoko lens in Leica Mount.

This series of lenses is very good. The 5cm f2 lens gives the closest rendition of a Summitar that I've seen.

Lovely.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a nice Tele-Ennalyt this morning for a price I was quite happy with, and from a seller I have met personally. I have a liking for Enna lenses, as much for the aesthetics as the optical properties.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I found a nice Tele-Ennalyt this morning for a price I was quite happy with, and from a seller I have met personally. I have a liking for Enna lenses, as much for the aesthetics as the optical properties.

Well this lead to me fixing the softness in my plastic copy. It turned out someone had reversed the rear element.

Images looked like this:
Kompaan Bloedbroeder by The lens profile, on Flickr

And now like this:
Unreversed by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lekker bier!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added 3 more yesterday during an unexpected trip into town.
Exaktar 55/1.7 in M42 mount (which came with a Exakta TL1000)
Exaktar 135/2.8 in M42 mount
& an Aicomatic 135/2.8 also in M42

All look to be in excellent shape but the camera does need a battery.
Happy Dog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front Section of the early Minolta Chiyoko 5cm F2. I got it cheap ($140 with shipping) due to some internal haze and fog. I was able to open it up and clean most of the haze and fog out. Remaining coating damage on the surface behind the aperture is slight, and at the very edge of the optical path.

The front "group" is in a fixture. Remove the name ring, use a suction cup to pull out. Remove the front retaining ring, and the "group" comes out as a whole. Looking at it close- looked like a cemented pair. Then discovered that it is an "Air-Spaced" doublet as some books call it, or two separate elements as others refer to it. There is a small "shim" for the edge of the elements that sets the spacing and also held them together. This is often defined as an air-spaced group. An optical "group" in a lens can be air-spaced, oil-spaced, or cemented- as further reading indicates. I used oil to repair a Sonnar formula Canon 135/3.5, it eliminates Newton's rings. The spacer in the Minolta "Group" eliminates Newton's Rings. Oil and air-spaced groups eliminates problems with thermal expansion being different with types of glass used in a group.

This is not one of the easier lenses to work on- required suction cups and some prying to get the fixtures out of the barrel. The front most element- once separated, is very thin. You could easily crack this lens when reinserting into the fixture. Make sure it is all the way in, and placed evenly before screwing the retaining ring back on.

SO: NOT the same as the 7/4 Summitar which uses cemented groups. Closer to the 7/5 early Summicrons?

ANYWAY: mystery solved for me, and the lens is in much better condition than when received. Gives me an early and late version of this lens.

Last edited by fiftyonepointsix on Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou!

This is an early ome, I believe the 127th made.

This is the element with haze- mostly cleared off.

And- a test on the Leica M8, I am happy with the results.

Both wide-open.

Not the same formula- but the closest rendering to a Summitar that I've seen. The coating of this early lens is much different from my later 5cm F2 Super-Rokkor, 43mm filter size. This early one uses 40.5mm filters.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 17mm 3.5 51B Finally scored one at a reasonable price.
Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 17mm 1:3.5 (51B) by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya E 28mm f/2.8.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 17mm 3.5 51B Finally scored one at a reasonable price.

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this Tokina AT-X Pro 17mm f3.5 new and unused for a good price and had to have it. It's AF but can be switched to MF too.

Not my photo; courtesy of dyxum.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Mamiya E 28mm f/2.8.

NIce small and lightweight wideangle lens! Seems to have the same optical formula as the earlier Mamiya Sekor CS 2.8/28mm.

I have several copies of the Sekor CS, but only one of the Sekor E 2.8/28mm. Sadly the latter obviously is defective, even though it looks pristine from outside ... I had gotten it for free from a retired photo dealer - it seems the lens had been sitting in drawer for ages, and I guess the original owner had brought it back to the shop because it was "substandard" ...