Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Topcor 5.8cm f/1.8. Finally, with this lens, I will be able to compare with the f/1.4.

Much much better than 1,4 Like 1 small Keep 1,8, send me the 1,4 Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I got (in addition to my Zeiss ZA 16-35mm and my Sony 2.8/70-200mm G) a Zeiss ZA 2.8/24-70mm II. The latter was a new lens, for a staggering low price. After I had gotten it and paid for it, the owner of the shop asked me if I'd like to get another ZA 2.8/24-70mm, this time the (I) version, for free. I probably was a bit blindsided first, but then - why not? The second sample did look pristine as well, however its zoom mechanism was blocked at about f=26mm. Otherwise it seemed to be fine; AF motor (SSM) and aperture mechanism were OK.

Yesterday I've been dismantling it; if someone is interested I have published the entire repair on my website:
http://artaphot.ch/repair-stuff/598-sony-zeiss-vario-sonnar-2-8-24-70mm-za

And here's the image of the two ZA 2.8/24-70mm lenses, together with an A900 and the ZA 16-35 and SAL 70-200G:

Not an MF lens, sadly, but since many here are tinkering both with MF and AF lenses I thought some might be interested.

S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Recently I got (in addition to my Zeiss ZA 16-35mm and my Sony 2.8/70-200mm G) a Zeiss ZA 2.8/24-70mm II. The latter was a new lens, for a staggering low price. After I had gotten it and paid for it, the owner of the shop asked me if I'd like to get another ZA 2.8/24-70mm, this time the (I) version, for free. I probably was a bit blindsided first, but then - why not? The second sample did look pristine as well, however its zoom mechanism was blocked at about f=26mm. Otherwise it seemed to be fine; AF motor (SSM) and aperture mechanism were OK.

Yesterday I've been dismantling it; if someone is interested I have published the entire repair on my website:
http://artaphot.ch/repair-stuff/598-sony-zeiss-vario-sonnar-2-8-24-70mm-za

And here's the image of the two ZA 2.8/24-70mm lenses, together with an A900 and the ZA 16-35 and SAL 70-200G:

Not an MF lens, sadly, but since many here are tinkering both with MF and AF lenses I thought some might be interested.

S

Excellent!!!!!
Thank you for your report

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite a write-up.

I don't think I'd attempt something like that repair job.

I think I will continue holding off on electronic lenses for a while yet...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

That's impressive ,indeed . What kind of soldering gun would you recommend for the job? Never had to deal with such a tiny parts to solder . All of the connectors have closing clips to insure they won't come loose, just like pc?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
Topcor 5.8cm f/1.8. Finally, with this lens, I will be able to compare with the f/1.4.

Much much better than 1,4 Like 1 small Keep 1,8, send me the 1,4 Wink

I couldn't imagine getting rid of the 1.4, unless really necessity issues....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

I fact I was surprised how well made (= easy to understand) the entire construction is. You may have noticed Roger Cicala at lensrentals.com praising many of the Sony G Master (= Minolta!!) lenses. I very much suspect the Sony Zeiss 2.8/24-70mm ZA to be a co-development of mainly (former) Minolta and Sony engineers, with some input from Zeiss (mainly quality control). The Vario-Sonnar 2.8/24-70mm consists of well made moduls; they are relatively easy to separate. Of course I'll never understand what's going on inside these moduls (SSW motor or electronics for instance), but there's no need to do so! When servicing the Minolta MC 1.7/85mm, on the other hand, I have to dismantle (and to understand!) everything.

kiddo wrote:

That's impressive ,indeed . What kind of soldering gun would you recommend for the job? Never had to deal with such a tiny parts to solder . All of the connectors have closing clips to insure they won't come loose, just like pc?

I've no idea at all. I'm not really an "electronics" guy, I prefer mechanical stuff, and it was pure luck that my oridnary soldering iron just made it. But I ceratinly would recommend a much smaller one than the one I used.

S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

That really depends. For example Canon AF lenses are modular, and fairly easy to disassemble. That, and you can call Canon and buy absolutely any part they make and have in stock. Classic Minoltas are fairly simple, and so are AF/AF-D Nikkor primes. But newer Nikon lenses are a no-no for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novoflex Staeble KATAGON 4/60mm new old stock in box with both original caps for EUR27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

For tiny parts use tiny tip low power 15-30W iron, not a gun...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Novoflex Staeble KATAGON 4/60mm new old stock in box with both original caps for EUR27

Interesting - I've been using a similar looking Novoflex 4/60mm as my first bellows lens on the Minolta 9000, back in 1990. On film, it was quite capable for slide dublicating, especially for converting negatives into b/w slides.

S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
kiddo wrote:

For now, I've been happy with the 30w normal size one,but for really tiny things , it doesn't help me.; I've seen some soldering stations ,but don't know much about em

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
kiddo wrote:

For now, I've been happy with the 30w normal size one,but for really tiny things , it doesn't help me.; I've seen some soldering stations ,but don't know much about em

Replaceable tip type pencil iron are most versatile imho.

Stations typically have multiple power and temperature settings and replaceable different size tips. More for a workbench than a toolbox imho, and almost a requirement for surface mount components,

Solder type is important too -- older electronics will use 60/40 lead/tin solder while modern solder is lead-free. Never use acid-core solder on electronics! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Bought a 58/2.4 today. I hope the condition will be good as it is hard to find a with good glass.

It look good to me. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Bought a 58/2.4 today. I hope the condition will be good as it is hard to find a with good glass.

It look good to me. Laugh 1

Me too! The heliar! Like 1 Like 1 Congrats Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a year or so of covid closure, my favorite resale shop reopened this weekend with a half-price sale, and i scored a lovely zebra A.Schacht Travenar 135mm/f3.5 R in M39 mount (with some sort partially broken bayonet adapter that thankfully unscrewed.. thought it might be exakta but it appears to be four-blade, and smaller), and a zoom-nikkor 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5, for $15 each!

having tested it a little, don't think the zoom-nikkor will be replacing my tamron sp 01, but probably worth the price just for the metal clamp-on lens hood, i'm sure i'll be able to use that for something

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
after a year or so of covid closure, my favorite resale shop reopened this weekend with a half-price sale, and i scored a lovely zebra A.Schacht Travenar 135mm/f3.5 R in M39 mount (with some sort partially broken bayonet adapter that thankfully unscrewed.. thought it might be exakta but it appears to be four-blade, and smaller), and a zoom-nikkor 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5, for $15 each!

having tested it a little, don't think the zoom-nikkor will be replacing my tamron sp 01, but probably worth the price just for the metal clamp-on lens hood, i'm sure i'll be able to use that for something

Nice table!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Nice table!
Laugh 1 Like 1 got that at the antique fair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just 10ish euro's because the seller thought it was defective. I guess he just didn't understand how the auto-aperture worked (And I have run out of m42 caps again....) Including domestic and international shipping it was 30 euro's. Aperture is just a bit slow due to oil. Inconsequential on digital.
Auto-Takumar 55mm 1:2 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Auto-Takumar 55mm 1:2 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Edit:
Quick comparison with the Yashinon 5cm F2:
Yashinon vs. Takumar by The lens profile, on Flickr

Last edited by D1N0 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 60-300 in nice shape but don't know how to make aperture work ,I need help ; I've tried with different adaptall M42 , NIK and aperture is locked on close . With the FD stays wide open (contrary to M42 and Nik). So, don't know what to do, on my others tamron I have no issues at all.