Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mighty Aldis 'Uno' 7.5" (190mm).

Umm... okay...

... maybe a mighty atom Very Happy

But it's impressing me. It's relatively sharp and contrasty, to my eyes, for an old timer, and doing it without a hood. These Uno based lenses had a long run, but an educated guess for me on this one is pre WW1. If anyone knows different, please say.

Aldis Series III F/7.7 No.7. Shot in RAW, converted to jpg, otherwise no pp. Flat natural light from the right. f/11. Scotland was basically a giant softbox today.

Shouldn't do this to a 100 year old lens, but...

1:1

Last edited by Sciolist on Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unos were good lenses, albeit cheaper than many others at the time. I'd day yours is indeed pre-WWI.

I have one, can't remember the specs, but I recall it shot well, contrast being decent for an uncoated optic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider Xenon in shutter 4.5cm f2.
T

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Very nice atmosphere!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
T

Congrats! This is one of the few lens I would like to add to my collection. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Unos were good lenses, albeit cheaper than many others at the time. I'd day yours is indeed pre-WWI.

I have one, can't remember the specs, but I recall it shot well, contrast being decent for an uncoated optic.

Thanks. It's my first 'Uno' based lens, so I'm just beginning to learn about them. I really like this one. I wonder what produces the fairly good contrast.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less glass-air surfaces than many contemporary lenses and a small maximum aperture.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Less glass-air surfaces than many contemporary lenses and a small maximum aperture.

That would make sense. I checked it to make sure it was an Uno design with a light. I picked up the reflections from a whole 4 glass/air surfaces. That's economy for you. Strangely, I couldn't pick up a faint reflection of the cemented interface of the front doublet, but I'm a relative novice at doing this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been any good at counting reflections, so you're not alone. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I've never been any good at counting reflections, so you're not alone. Smile

Good to know.

Cheers,

Ian.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
If it doesn't get sharp until f16, something is definitely wrong with it. Also, there will be diffraction at f16, even on a FF sensor, which will reduce sharpness.

uddhava wrote:
KEO wrote:
however.

I don't think the elements are misaligned in mine because it is sharp if you close down the aperture far enough - like < f/16.

I once bought a lens with two flipped elements and I only had to stop down a couple stops to achieve sharpness
so from my experience I would say something must be wrong it.

I shall open it up and have a look. I didn't pay that much for it, and it's not in excellent condition anyway (except for the glass). I'm kind of curious to see the huge, heavy element that must be inside.

I once had a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135 3.5 with a misaligned element. After opening it up, removing the glass, and putting it back in correctly (which was indeed a bit tricky), it became very sharp.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice CZJ Biometar 2.8/80 Zebra for my Kiev-60

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

I shall open it up and have a look. I didn't pay that much for it, and it's not in excellent condition anyway (except for the glass). I'm kind of curious to see the huge, heavy element that must be inside.

It should be a simple 2+2 'telephoto' design, KEO. If it is, I'd just try taking them out and putting them back in again for starters. You never know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a diffuse glow on images from spherical abberation, it will be the spacing of the two elements - likely someone had it apart an put it back together wrong, perhaps omitting a spacer shim.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Interesting lens ...! Not too long ago I bought this Praktiflex, equipped with a Schneider Xenon as well.
It had been sitting on a shelf for quite some time, and obviously nobody was interested. The lens - a Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 1:2 f=5cm - isn't coated, and it is slightly hazy.

The Praktiflex has a not very common M40 thread, and therefore I haven't been using the lens yet. The Xenon was probably made in May 1942, and the camera seems to be wartime as well
(chromium plating partly missing and partly replaced by black painting). Certainly an interesting item which should be restored.

S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple lenses on the way, bought together off of Ebay.

1) Auto Miranda EC 50mm f1.4. Didn't need another one, but it was included.

2) Auto Miranda EC 80-200 f3.5. Supposed to be mint condition. Been wanting this lens to try for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
T

Schneider lenses are usually standard threads, that one definitely is as it's in a Compur shutter.

The older Schneider enlarger lenses are in heavy brass barrels with many bladed perfectly round apertures and they use the same thread sizes as the shutters, so what you can do is but an old Comparon or Componar enlarging lens cheap and put the Xenon cells in the barrel. You then have either an M25 (same as C-mount) or M39 mount on the back of the barrel,depending on what enlarger lens you bought and you can then easily mount it onto a Chinese helicoid and have a really nice lens.

Of course, you can use it as is in the shutter if you jam the shutter blades open on the B setting or open it up and remove the blades.

The uncoated Xenon is a very fine lens, just keep it away from direct light otherwise you will get low contrast and a lot of veiling flare.

One of my all-time favourite lenses is the 1.9/50 Retina-Xenon, sharp as hell even wide open but with a wonderful vintage character to it's rendering.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

The older Schneider enlarger lenses are in heavy brass barrels with many bladed perfectly round apertures and they use the same thread sizes as the shutters, so what you can do is but an old Comparon or Componar enlarging lens cheap and put the Xenon cells in the barrel. You then have either an M25 (same as C-mount) or M39 mount on the back of the barrel,depending on what enlarger lens you bought and you can then easily mount it onto a Chinese helicoid and have a really nice lens.

That's a great tip Like 1 .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
T

Schneider lenses are usually standard threads, that one definitely is as it's in a Compur shutter.

Of course, you can use it as is in the shutter if you jam the shutter blades open on the B setting or open it up and remove the blades.

The uncoated Xenon is a very fine lens, just keep it away from direct light otherwise you will get low contrast and a lot of veiling flare.

One of my all-time favourite lenses is the 1.9/50 Retina-Xenon, sharp as hell even wide open but with a wonderful vintage character to it's rendering.

Great tips.
Thanks Ian
T

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:
My first MF zoom ever, and my first zoom ever actually beside kits: a Tamron SP 24-48/3.5-3.8. Woaw, a third ring to deal with Twisted Evil

Even when closing down to f/8, the 10 to 15% left side of any picture I make with it stays rather soft - not just the corner, the whole top to bottom. The center and right side are quite sharp so the difference is kind of noticeable - OK, when pixel-peeping... I have both Konica and FD adaptall mounts, and I tried with both FD to Fuji and Konica to Fuji adapters. I'm still waiting for my Adaptall to Fuji adapter, but this starts to be consistent results.

Could it be some decentering of one of the elements? Is it repairable by a noob? Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
KEO wrote:

It should be a simple 2+2 'telephoto' design, KEO. If it is, I'd just try taking them out and putting them back in again for starters. You never know.

Thanks. That's exactly the way it was with my Takumar 135. All I had to do was pop out the elements and put them back in again, and it was fine. It was the second element that was the problem. That was the biggest one with a large convex face, and the tolerances for getting it to seat correctly were very tight. I'm betting this Xenon 180 will be similar.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Meyer optik Gorlitz Telemegor 400mm f5.5 Reply with quote

It looks huge on my little EXA. Hoping to get some pics soon.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Huge!

Found a Panagor PMC AUTO TELE 200mm 1:3.5 (second version with 1.8mfd and red lettering instead of 2.5m and orange)for Project Panagor. It came for free with the Panagor 135mm 2.8 next to it because of fungus (but that is barely visible) so I am considering the 135mm a freeby since I already have it.

Panagor PMC Auto Tele 200mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

and the Pentacon six to pk adapter for my Kaleinar 150mm 2.8 arrived.
Pentacon 6 to PK adapter by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Meyer optik Gorlitz Telemegor 400mm f5.5 Reply with quote

PWhite214 wrote:

It looks huge on my little EXA. Hoping to get some pics soon.

That's a beauty, Phil Like 1 .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
^^Huge!

Found a Panagor PMC AUTO TELE 200mm 1:3.5 (second version with 1.8mfd and red lettering instead of 2.5m and orange)for Project Panagor. It came for free with the Panagor 135mm 2.8 next to it because of fungus (but that is barely visible) so I am considering the 135mm a freeby since I already have it.

and the Pentacon six to pk adapter for my Kaleinar 150mm 2.8 arrived.
Pentacon 6 to PK adapter by The lens profile, on Flickr

I've got a mint Panagor 2.5/35 to match those if you are looking for one, it's in the original leather case with caps, M42.