Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 135mm f/2.5 Tx. Not a rare lens but definitely less common compared to the 135mm f/2.8. Will need to try against Tamron 135mm f/2.5 CF.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

filter ring's mashed up (have a filter ring tool, may have a go at it) but she takes pictures just fine
pretty sure an actual tomioka for once, extremely flat rear element etc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
filter ring's mashed up (have a filter ring tool, may have a go at it) but she takes pictures just fine

Fairly sure it is internally identical to one of the Cosina-attributed designs.

Surprisingly good lens, punched above my expectations based on prior browsing of public shots.

Side note: I've reduced MFD during reassembly, so my copy can focus to around 45cm or less.
A pleasant lens to service, much more sane design than, say, Minoltas of the same era.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
benadamx wrote:

Fairly sure it is internally identical to one of the Cosina-attributed designs.

Surprisingly good lens, punched above my expectations based on prior browsing of public shots.

yes, in any case i am quite satisfied with the results, especially in poor available light

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hexanon 135/3.2 just arrived. I still have to put it to the test!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Hexanon 135/3.2 just arrived. I still have to put it to the test!

Optically it should be quite satisfying. Not as smooth to operate as a Minolta MC/MD 2.8/135mm [4/4] or a Leica R Elmarit 2.8/135mm, though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an excellent lens especially for close ups. Try it with an extension tube.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

I will look for a tube!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

I will look for a tube!

I'm going to get one of these and try it just because I love finding 135s that work for macro.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 2.5/90mm 52BB.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan of this one so far. Maybe it's just my copy, but it's not sharp at all. I have to close down to f/11 to achieve sharpness I would describe as "merely acceptable."

It's an interesting piece though. It's about the size of a small 135 3.5, and yet it's extremely heavy. There must be a really big hunk of glass in there.

Nice bokeh and rendering, but unless I want an intentionally blurry image I'm going to have to close down to about f/16 and have LOTS of light.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a lens but I bought a Meike macro ring set for Sony mount. So I have close focus ability on all my lenses from now on 😃

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tele-Xenars are very sharp lenses, something must be wrong with that one. I expect someone has had it apart and not put it back together correctly so the element spacing is off.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Soligor Miranda (Kowa) 135 2.8, notable for actually being manufactured in Exa mount, even though badged as Miranda, and being supplied with an Exakta-Miranda adapter. The adapter can be removed and it can be mounted to an Exakta camera, but the focus mark is then in the wrong spot. It can be seen on the lens that the depth of focus scale is a sticker, more than likely stuck over the proper scale.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
A Soligor Miranda (Kowa) 135 2.8, notable for actually being manufactured in Exa mount, even though badged as Miranda, and being supplied with an Exakta-Miranda adapter. The adapter can be removed and it can be mounted to an Exakta camera, but the focus mark is then in the wrong spot. It can be seen on the lens that the depth of focus scale is a sticker, more than likely stuck over the proper scale.

Nice. How does it perform? I didn't put enough bids last time for both a 135 2.8 and 3.5, so missed them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

Nice. How does it perform? I didn't put enough bids last time for both a 135 2.8 and 3.5, so missed them.

I've only tested it wide open so far, as the aperture mechanism is tight, which I've experienced on a couple of other Soligor Miranda (Kowa) lenses as well, it seems to be a common problem.
The wide open performance was acceptable to myself, but I should qualify that, with the extra proviso that I normally test at F8, being somewhat of a landscape guy, so I don't have much experience testing at F2.8 to compare against.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC Telezenitar 135/2.8 🤗🤗🤗

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

APO version or the one without?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

APO version or the one without?

Without. Cannot find too much info on it other than that it's supposed to be good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Tele-Xenars are very sharp lenses, something must be wrong with that one. I expect someone has had it apart and not put it back together correctly so the element spacing is off.

Possibly, but I notice that in this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/how-good-is-the-schneider-kreuznach-tele-xenar-135mm-f3-5-t60400.html

luisalegria wrote that he'd sold his tele-xenar 180 5.5 because it was, "certainly not sharp wide open." His was a Korelle Reflex version, however.

I don't think the elements are misaligned in mine because it is sharp if you close down the aperture far enough - like < f/16.

I'd be interested to compare experiences with other Tele-Xenar 180 5.5s, if anyone else has one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't get sharp until f16, something is definitely wrong with it. Also, there will be diffraction at f16, even on a FF sensor, which will reduce sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
however.

I don't think the elements are misaligned in mine because it is sharp if you close down the aperture far enough - like < f/16.

I once bought a lens with two flipped elements and I only had to stop down a couple stops to achieve sharpness
so from my experience I would say something must be wrong it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally found a Kiron 28mm f/2 at a reasonable price, and to me it delivers the goods! i see some complaints that its a little glowy wide open, but to me that's the whole point, and now i can do stuff like this

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
finally found a Kiron 28mm f/2 at a reasonable price, and to me it delivers the goods! i see some complaints that its a little glowy wide open, but to me that's the whole point, and now i can do stuff like this

Very nice atmosphere!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Possibly, but I notice that in this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/how-good-is-the-schneider-kreuznach-tele-xenar-135mm-f3-5-t60400.html

luisalegria wrote that he'd sold his tele-xenar 180 5.5 because it was, "certainly not sharp wide open." His was a Korelle Reflex version, however.

I'd be interested to compare experiences with other Tele-Xenar 180 5.5s, if anyone else has one.

There are some shots on Flikr, Keo. Here's one -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dl1ydn/28353292299/in/photolist-2jo6F1T-2jjRACR-2jed8Nr-SajcMA-2ifB5UT-2jrPNPH-2hLC2eM-2h8wFuZ-2hnmTsY-Kcu2Ze-27GaBEc-2jmFgFR-2jnye3D-2jpxBhm-23ar5c7-2jqTYdP-2iiLau9-2jrfmBT-2iMeA3b-2jqyt63-2js8Xcs-6wDXKH-2jrNfJ6-2issaj6-2jqfqgC-2jrACvs-2iXhEdT-2j9BHDT-2gbAxAA-2h8ua2k-2jsuBYj-2jsFZTX-2ig8rAU-2iZYRZo-2ikufhK-NoRrH8-2ityEik-k6DgpX-2iYG1Le-2h4ZUtQ-4RpPLH-Hcq1mq-871gSD-2iKjNyW-2iKYH5o-avao77-GT54Le-84VTAu-avao73-2iFPJmH