Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:
So:
- Canon nFD 50/1.4 - lovely all-around lens
- Tokina RMC 135/2.8 - I quickly did a couple test shots, it looks like a damn fine gem

Yup it’s a good one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSC00350 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Mamiya 58mm f/1.7. Said to be front element radioactive in M42 mount. Eager to see if my copy is Exakta or M42 mount

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
a Mamiya 58mm f/1.7. Said to be front element radioactive in M42 mount. Eager to see if my copy is Exakta or M42 mount

Curious about its performance!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

Interesting lens. I got one together with the iconic early "Mamiya" SLR (with kind of an Exacta bayonet):

That beast seems to be a quite rare SLR!

S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Interesting lens. I got one together with the iconic early "Mamiya" SLR (with kind of an Exacta bayonet):

S

It can also be found (in M42) branded as an Argus camera. Additionally, there is a 5.8cm F/1.7 that was sold for the Yashica Pentamatic II as detailed here: https://yashicasailorboy.com/tag/f-1-7-5-8cm-lens/
The writer there thinks that lens may be a Zunow lens originally, I wonder how optically similar it is to the Mamiya lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on a Canon FD kick lately. So I have a Canon FD SSC 200mm f4 lens coming.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second time lucky?
I hope so.
The last one was defective and had to be returned.
T

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
stevemark wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

S

It can also be found (in M42) branded as an Argus camera. Additionally, there is a 5.8cm F/1.7 that was sold for the Yashica Pentamatic II as detailed here: https://yashicasailorboy.com/tag/f-1-7-5-8cm-lens/
The writer there thinks that lens may be a Zunow lens originally, I wonder how optically similar it is to the Mamiya lens.

Steve, mine will come with a Sear 32B, said to be a rebadged Mamiya Prismat, the one shown in your photo.

Alun, I've heard Argus also has a camera with this lens, but somehow the mount is different (other than M42 or Exakta). I've read that article before. The Pentamatic 5.8cm f/1.7 does look a lot like this one, especially the infinity mark (the yellow triangle).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
DSC00350 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

Supposed to be a good one... Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

Steve, mine will come with a Sear 32B, said to be a rebadged Mamiya Prismat, the one shown in your photo.

The Sears 32B looks completely different to my "Mamiya" SLR. It's far more common than the original "Mamyia".
The Herron website shows both cameras (and the Mamiya Prismat NP from which the Seras 32B was derived).

http://herron.50megs.com/prismat.htm

Your Mamiya 1.7/5.8 cm lens, however, may well be the same as mine!

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I've been on a Canon FD kick lately. So I have a Canon FD SSC 200mm f4 lens coming.

A well machined, heavy 4/200mm lens with a relatively low contrast, but good detail resolution and not too pronounced lateral CAs. You'll enjoy it, i guess Wink

S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

The Sears 32B looks completely different to my "Mamiya" SLR. It's far more common than the original "Mamyia".
The Herron website shows both cameras (and the Mamiya Prismat NP from which the Seras 32B was derived).

http://herron.50megs.com/prismat.htm

Your Mamiya 1.7/5.8 cm lens, however, may well be the same as mine!

Stephan

Yes, I noticed they are different in shape when I did my research. Thanks for the website. Interestingly, the author says the Sears 32B is a rebranded Mamiya Primsmat NP. See my red circle. I, however, didn't read the post very carefully so I might miss something, as the camera is not what I am interested in, the lens is. Yes, they should be the same lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
walter g wrote:

A well machined, heavy 4/200mm lens with a relatively low contrast, but good detail resolution and not too pronounced lateral CAs. You'll enjoy it, i guess Wink

S

I couldn't decide if I wanted the lens or not.
I would of preferred to try the New FD version.
Anyway it had a $20 starting bid and cheap shipping, so I put a $20 bid on it and won, if I'm not happy with it, I'll throw it back on eBay.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

I've got one of the M42 versions. I have two Auto Mamiya Sekor 55 1.4s, and several Auto Mamiya Sekor 55 1.8s, and I like the 58 1.7 better than any of them.

The M42 version seems to have a weak aperture mechanism, because I almost never find one with a working aperture. Even mine is broken. It opens just fine, but I have to unscrew the rear optical block to close it down.

Still, it's an excellent lens and I'm always looking to pick up another. I'd also like to know more about it. Information is scarce.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought an auto-Takumar 55mm f/2. It looks like my Yashinon 5cm f/2’s twin brother.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

Yes, I noticed they are different in shape when I did my research. Thanks for the website. Interestingly, the author says the Sears 32B is a rebranded Mamiya Primsmat NP. See my red circle. I, however, didn't read the post very carefully so I might miss something, as the camera is not what I am interested in, the lens is. Yes, they should be the same lens.

The Sears 32B and the Mamiya Prismat NP look different, but they may well share the same basic construction. My "Mamiya SLR" however is probably more a kind of a prototype or - maybe - part of an early pre-production. I have been searching the net quite extensively for images of the "Mamiya SLR", but i'm aware of only one person (apart from myself and the previous owner of my sample) who really has seen a "Mamiya SLR". Note that even M. Herron has never owned a real Mamiya SLR! It's design remembers me, to some extent, to the Exacta Varex ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Just bought an auto-Takumar 55mm f/2. It looks like my Yashinon 5cm f/2’s twin brother.

Congrats Like 1

A good one imho. White distance scale with "1:2 f=55mm" on name ring or yellow distances with "1:2 / 55mm"? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the parts / as is Canon New FD 17mm f4 lens off of Ebay. I hope I wasn't wearing my stupid hat when I bought it.
We shall see.

Last edited by walter g on Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Congrats Like 1

A good one imho. White distance scale with "1:2 f=55mm" on name ring or yellow distances with "1:2 / 55mm"? Smile

Judging from the picture it has meters in yellow, and feet in white. And it says "1:2/55".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Congrats Like 1

Judging from the picture it has meters in yellow, and feet in white. And it says "1:2/55".

That would be an unknown variation! Known variations have white or yellow m & blue ft distance markings. When you get the lens please verify. Will be appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Congrats Like 1

That would be an unknown variation! Known variations have white or yellow m & blue ft distance markings. When you get the lens please verify. Will be appreciated!

I will let you know!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enna Tele-Ennalyt 4.5/240mm (M42).

The lens, shown here with its smaller 2.8/135mm sibling, is tiny (given its focal length of 240mm). Just about 12.7 cm long, and with a 52mm filter thread, its performance is barely mediocre. Details on that will follow. As most German lenses from the 1950s and early 1960s, its barrel is very well made. There seem to be quite a few versions of the 240mm/4.5 Tele-Ennalyt; this one has a rather simplistic, yet somehow stylish lens barrel with an minimal focusing distance (MFD) of 6 meters (!!). Well, obviously a landscape lens ?!? Maybe, maybe not -- The performance on 24MP FF is so poor that I certainly would recommend to not use it for landscapes! Central sharpness and contrast at f4.5 are rather lousy, and the corners are simply fuzzy. Stopping down to f11 doesn't change much. To make it short - as others here have reported, the lens isn't stellar, an neither is the Tele-Ennalyt 2.8/135mm ...

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

I've got one of the M42 versions. I have two Auto Mamiya Sekor 55 1.4s, and several Auto Mamiya Sekor 55 1.8s, and I like the 58 1.7 better than any of them.

The M42 version seems to have a weak aperture mechanism, because I almost never find one with a working aperture. Even mine is broken. It opens just fine, but I have to unscrew the rear optical block to close it down.

Still, it's an excellent lens and I'm always looking to pick up another. I'd also like to know more about it. Information is scarce.

Mine arrived in excellent condition, on a Sears 32B camera. I took off the lens and noticed it is the Exakta mount. But I haven't figured it out how to stop down the aperture. It has the "complicated" arm design as in some of the German Exakta mount lenses. Since you mentioned you never find one with working aperture, I suspect mine could be faulty as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

Mine arrived in excellent condition. I took off the lens and noticed it is the Exakta mount. But I haven't figured it out how to stop down the aperture. It has the "complicated" arm design as in some of the German Exakta mount lenses. Since you mentioned you never find one with working aperture, I suspect mine could be faulty as well.

While the aperture mechanism a bit slow, it works on my Exakta mount Mamiya-Sekor F.C. 1:1.7 f=55mm lens.

1) Cock the (silver colored) aperture mechanism on the left side of the lens ("left" when looking through the viewfinder of the camera)

2) adjust the aperture ring to the desired value by first pushing the small silver colored button on the lower side of the aperture ring and then turning the aperture ring

3) Take the lens off the camera and push the small plug on the back side (!!) of the aperture lever; it will close the aperture to the desired value

4) if you want to re-open the aperture, just start with 1) again!

Stephan