Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Early Mamiya lenses Reply with quote

The large lens is a Sekor Nikkorex 135/2.8, make by Sekor for Nikon and sold as a lower cost lens line. I have been looking for the 35/2.8 of the same range, but could not find one for a good price, if at all. I did find what I believe to be the same lens optically, sold by Mamiya for one of their early prismat cameras, the one with the Exakta bayonet mounting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Accura Accurapid 200/3.5 Reply with quote

This lens appears to be an early Sigma made lens, going from the serial number. Unfortunately it has a mild haze and some interior marks, however it was cheap and bought only for the interest value.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Soligor and Kalimar 25/2.8 Reply with quote

These are two lenses I believe to be the same optically and from the same manufacturer - Kalimar Auto-T 25/2.8 and Soligor 25/2.8
I think the lenses are an Itoh design, based on the colours used for the focus scale on Auto-T lenses. Also, based on observation, Soligor lenses with a serial code having a leading '3' in this period I have noticed also appear to be Itoh products, or at least have the very distinctive yellow/green colouring on the focus scale which seems to have been a design they used extensively on their products, at least early on. For instance, both the Soligor 85/1.5 and 85/1.8 have the distinctive Itoh design, and also have the '3' serial. Later on, Soligor required manufacturers to supply lenses with a common look, which was the 'chrome eared' look notable during that period for Soligor, however the '3' serail is still in evidence for this lens. This serial system appears between the early serial system with letters i.e. 'H6' coded serials, and then later serial system which featured a manufacturer number followed by the year of manufacture. The numeral '3' was used for Sun Optical products in the later serial system.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Imperial / Kawanon 25/3.5 Reply with quote

This 'Imperial' branded lens appears to be a Kawanon manufactured lens, going by the green 'INF' on the focus scale, which was a design they used on many of their lenses in that period. There is one on ebay currently badged as Cambron, although the price is high. It is a rarely sold lens, but my copy was nothing special optically.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Aetna / Sun Opt. / Sigma 24/2.8 Reply with quote

This lens is unusual, at first glance it appears to made for Aetna by Sun Optical, but a comparison next to an Upsilon 24/2.8 shows it to be almost identical and more likely to have been made by Sigma. Upsilon was a Sigma house brand, all lenses of that brand I have seen are Sigma lenses.
The Sun YS-24 and YS-28, when checked, also appear to be Sigma made, and Aetna also sold a similar 28/2.8 with Sun Opt. marked on it that was made by Sigma, I bid on one recently but another person wanted it more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Soligor (Kowa?) 135/3.5 Reply with quote

This lens has an unusual serial number. Soligor sold lenses from Kyoei with 'K.No.' serial prefix. There were also lenses made for Miranda cameras marked Soligor Miranda, having a 'No.K.' serial, these appear to have been manufactured by Kowa. But those lenses look nothing like this one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a second copy of the Sun Sola 90/4 which looked to be in very good condition, to discover there are at least two different mechanical variants. The left hand lens has a double helicoid, whilst the shinier right hand one does not. Unfortunately the aperture control for the shiny one is siezed so will need some work done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:31 am    Post subject: Haconar 80/3.5 Reply with quote

This lens is the Fujita 80/3.5 from their Fujita-66 camera, also sold in Europe under the Haco brand.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:38 am    Post subject: Aetna Telagonc 135/4.5 Reply with quote

This Aetna Telagon is a rebadged A.Schacht Travegon lens. The Telagon name was normally used by Tewe on lenses that cost far more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful rarities collection you have - would like to see some shots with the sun Sola ,as , sometime there are mentions of the Leica look ,but there aren't to many pics to see it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Aetna / Itoh 135/4 DKL mount Reply with quote

This lens is very similar to one made by Itoh / Higon, with some minor differences in markings on the focus scale.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Optomax / Itoh 28/2.8 Reply with quote

Very identifiable as an Itoh product, right down to the 'R' serial number.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Komuranon 28/2.8 Reply with quote

A fairly late period Komura lens, notably without any type of interchangeable mount. I saw a 28/2.5 for sale recently from the same era, but for more than I was willing to pay.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Kowa R lens I was looking for, quite hard to find. Although there is one currently for sale, marked Cowa instead of Kowa. Sometimes you wonder if they really want to sell things...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Tokina TX mount 24/2.8 Reply with quote

An unusual TX mount lens, normally they were sold as Vivitar lenses, however perhaps Tokina sold them under their own brand name in other locations.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject: Taiho Nicca 35/2.8 M42 Reply with quote

A fairly rare Nicca SLR lens, haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, although there is information regarding the 135/3.5 to which this lens bears a family resemblance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I recently bought a second copy of the Sun Sola 90/4 which looked to be in very good condition, to discover there are at least two different mechanical variants. The left hand lens has a double helicoid, whilst the shinier right hand one does not. Unfortunately the aperture control for the shiny one is siezed so will need some work done.

i've a third variant slightly different yet, in exacta mount

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Beautiful rarities collection you have - would like to see some shots with the sun Sola ,as , sometime there are mentions of the Leica look ,but there aren't to many pics to see it

Neither of my copies I would call great, although you need to judge them in the context of the 1950s era when they appeared, and in the context of a developing Japanese industry. Never having used Leica equipment I can't give any kind of comparison there, although almost certainly it would exceed the performance of my two copies.

Of my two copies, the non-shiny one has good contrast but poor resolution particularly in the frame corner, and not improving as much as other lenses by F8. The shiny one has the aperture stuck near F16, and whilst sharp enough, had a very bad case of veiling flare obscuring most fine detail and resulting in a very low contrast image. I tried the non shiny lens at the same aperture, and it was considerably better. Oddly, both lenses do appear to have somewhat blackened aperture blades. Perhaps the non-shiny copy is a later lens with improved coatings.

My standard test scene - point it up the road and focus on the brick house, then take shots with the house centered and at the frame edge.

F4 corner 100% - fairly messy

F8 corner 100% - better but not great

~F14 corner 100% - acceptable but there are many better.

Flower shot at F4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Konishiroku 50/2 Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

This F-mount lens can be found cheaply, although you need to construct your own adapter to use them.

Really like your solution.

An adapter for reverse mounting plus a bunch of gutted old filters. Probably has a good weight too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the Sola have been designed for portraits basically , and center resolution WO wouldn't be too bad. If you can shoot some MFD with more background blur, please

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few samples. It's autumn here, not much in the way of bright colour in my back garden right now, and it's an overgrown mess. The lens is not bitingly sharp and has a slight glow wide open. It should be quite suitable for portraiture. I think the background blur is pleasant, but tastes always vary in regard to that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Soligor Komura 35/3.5 Reply with quote

I just received one last package before my country suspended most services. One of the lenses in was the right hand Soligor/Komura 35/3.5, a distinctly different version mechanically and optically, with a much larger front element, to that on the left. Judging from the serial numbers, the one with the larger front element was the earlier version.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Kinegon / Komura 135/3.5 Reply with quote

Two Komura 135/3.5 lenses, a fairly early version of them. The Komura badged example was given to me for the price of postage by forum member MIR (thanks again). Of the two, the Kinegon appears to be the newer version, based on the higher serial number and the fact that it has some blackening applied to the aperture blades while the Komura example has shiny blades. I had always assumed that Komura starting selling under its own name once it decided not to supply to rebadgers, but perhaps that isn't the case. The few examples around of Komura badged 135/2.8 lenses, the same model as the Soligor Elitar 135/2.8 also challenge that assumption, as that was a fairly early lens for Komura.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Vemar / Itoh 200/4.8 Reply with quote

A Vemar 200/4.8 lens, a family member to the Aetna 135/4 posted above in the thread, I believe was made by Itoh Kogaku, based on seeing very similar lenses on ebay with that badge. This lens continues a trend I've found with similarly designed moderately 'fast' long lenses with big front elements, which all seem to suffer from quite bad fringing at the corner of the image. The Kowa 200/4 and Topcon UV 200/4 are the other two with a similar design I have tried.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Cambron Versaplex set. Reply with quote

url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20203/big_10818_Screenshot_20200326_181444_1.png][/url]

An interesting and completely useless blast from the past, this Cambron Versaplex set can be a spacer, 2x teleconverter or 35/5.6 lens depending on whether and which module you install into the holder.

The view underneath showing the slotted housing, and the corresponding pin on the teleconverter module. To insert you line the pin and slot up, push it in slightly and twist.

To use the teleconverter you remove the front name ring which in this instance is M42 threaded and the thread becomes the mount for the lens attached.

To use the lens the name ring is reattached and the lens module installed. The lens is not focussable, not is there an aperture. The images were decent over most of the image, but the corners were quite blurry.