Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

I've been looking for pics taken with the Sola, but aren't many on the net, the price for that lens ain't very cheap either , I understand is a multiblades so probably a nice bokeh. Hope you will share some pics , is it a M39?

yeah the M39 fetches leica prices on ebay! this is the exakta mount but best i can tell it's the same lens (and i got it for $16.50!) .. will clean it up a bit tonight and hopefully shoot some samples with it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For very cheap from ebay:
RMC Tokina II 28mm 1:2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

RMC Tokina II 28mm 1:2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Picked it up for it's specific old fashioned eighties rendering/contrast charactaristics

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I have a new normal

Vivitar VMC 50/1,4. In K mount.

Very good reports on line. Few but good ones.

I'm waiting my nex 5 N repaired to test the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Primagon 35/4.5, Voigtlander 135/4 and ISCO Gottingen Westrocolor 50mm f1.9 have all arrived. All are in great condition but only had a chance to get a couple of shots with the Westrocolor so far,

this is at f8 and no PP,

It' a later model and fairly plastic but not as to as bad a degree as as the Iscotar 50/2.8 I've got. From what I gather this shares its design with the Schneider Xenon 50mm f1.9?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ten minutes ago

Таир-11А by Mr TTT, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
Primagon 35/4.5

I hope your Primagon is good. That's one of my favorite lenses. It's got a very rich character.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Gott23 wrote:
Primagon 35/4.5

I hope your Primagon is good. That's one of my favorite lenses. It's got a very rich character.

It looks good and though not a red v version has the 1st quality mark on it. However, between long work hours and diminishing daylight hours I've not had a chance to try it yet given how slow it is.. 😭. Its top of my to do list for the coming weekend though.. 😁

Edit: heck it is slow! Tried it in town and admittedly it was quite dark but couldn't get anything near 1/10, and it's soft till at least f8 it seems, not 100% on that given I was at 1600-3200 ISO and the noise/grain made it a bit hard to see just how sharp it really is.. Definitely a bright weather lens.. Or on a tripod at least..

Last edited by Gott23 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.6mm SUNEX Fisheye lens

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super-Takumar 24mm 3.5
Super-multi-coated Takumar 28mm 3.5
Avanar dyna coated 75 - 205mm 3.8 (don't know if it is a useful lens, but is came along with a Pentax ES-II and the 28mm Takumar)

Minolta MC Tele Rokkor QE 100mm 3.5 Happy Cat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too cheap to resist, so that's an ISCO Gottingen Travenar 135mm f3.5 in the post. The earlier metal version with feck knows how many aperture blades.. 😁

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
ISCO Gottingen Travenar

is it correct? may be A.Schacht Travenar or ISCO Gottingen Tele-Westanar or something else?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
Gott23 wrote:
ISCO Gottingen Travenar

is it correct? may be A.Schacht Travenar or ISCO Gottingen Tele-Westanar or something else?

My mistake it's a Westanar.. I've lost track of them a bit tbh, I know I've also got a Westanar 150mm f4.5 but I think another is a Schacht 135mm that needs a CLA due to aperture grease on one of the elements. Tbh they do all look very similar given they're all metal tubes from the 60s essentially.. 😁

Last edited by Gott23 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm Reply with quote

Happy to acquire one of these at last in PK, a very smart, classic viv. But can anyone help with stuck iris (a post on a PF thread suggests that the lens splits into two quite readily...)??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

it's a Westanar..

about this?

DSC00317 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

I think it's a great lens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:
Gott23 wrote:

it's a Westanar..

about this?

DSC00317 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

I think it's a great lens.

The very one, though Im not sure what mount.. 😩 I take it they were made in Exakta/M42 mounts mainly? The price I paid I wasn't hesitating too much.. 😁

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Happy to acquire one of these at last in PK, a very smart, classic viv. But can anyone help with stuck iris (a post on a PF thread suggests that the lens splits into two quite readily...)??

From memory I cleaned one recently. I've had poor results in the past trying to fully disassemble Kiron lenses, they seem to like using glue in strategic places. So, generally for a kiron lens, I'll remove the back group (complete if possible) and use carburettor cleaner/degreaser applied sparingly, working the blades the loosen off and hope the heavier hydrocarbons evaporate with the lighter ones. Sometimes several applications are needed. Often after that you need to carefully wipe clean the rear of the lens surface forward of the aperture, with a q-tip or similar, dipped in alcohol or cleaner of your choice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

I've had mine for many years, and I seem to remember reading something about this problem - I might have bookmarked it? I'll have a look tomorrow. It's a wonderful lens, well worth the effort to repair it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
This is the thread on PF:

"...Looks like the reason they went this deep into the lens was because they wanted to clean the oil off the blades. Perhaps like myself they didn't realize that you could simply unscrew the lens into 2 pieces and have direct access to the diaphragm in 5 seconds flat. (live and learn)..."

Read more at:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/85188-vivitar-24-48mm-series-1-repair-question.html#ixzz63BUyEpC6

I PM'ed the OP he does seem to still have an active account on PF even though it's an old thread but no reply so far. I've been looking at the lens and can't see it unscrewing into two...
Update found the parts manual on Boggys. And added the lens to PF reviews - bit surprised it wasn't there already.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

"...Looks like the reason they went this deep into the lens was because they wanted to clean the oil off the blades. Perhaps like myself they didn't realize that you could simply unscrew the lens into 2 pieces and have direct access to the diaphragm in 5 seconds flat. (live and learn)..."

Read more at:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/85188-vivitar-24-48mm-series-1-repair-question.html#ixzz63BUyEpC6

I PM'ed the OP he does seem to still have an active account on PF even though it's an old thread but no reply so far. I've been looking at the lens and can't see it unscrewing into two...
Update found the parts manual on Boggys. And added the lens to PF reviews - bit surprised it wasn't there already.

That's interesting to know. I have two copies of this lens and both have stuck open aperture blades. Will give it a try. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:

Read more at:

That's interesting to know. I have two copies of this lens and both have stuck open aperture blades. Will give it a try. Thanks.

I don t have the lens, but what i ve learned from working on lenses is that basically all have the optical construction in two parts, front and rear, simply because there must be room for the aperture mechanism which is placed between the two optical blocks. Usually removing the front lens block will give you acess to the aperture blades, my guess is that s what the OP means. Usually that means strarting with removing the front name ring. I will add that it s better to remove the entire block if possible, instead of removing single lenses. Working on the rear block is more complicated,it s almost never possible to remove it without removing the lens mount and all the bits and pieces that engage the aperture, so if it s a simple optical construction (not the case here) it makes sense to remove the single element/elements. In some lenses it s possible to remove both the optical blocks and the aperture as a single piece (Yashinon DX lenses for example).

Last edited by tomasg on Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ vivaldibow Let me know how you get on. Scrutinising the parts diagrams it seems obvious to go in via the mount - should give ready access to one side of the iris after removing the rear optical block. But it's more ideal to get access to both sides.
@tomasg This lens looks difficult from the front, complex helical structure for focus and zoom, two optical blocks judging from the diagrams...update or maybe not. if I read the diagrams right there is one grub screw and then the whole front block should unscrew. Maybe this is what the poster of that thread I linked to meant. I will try later.

Last edited by marcusBMG on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
@ vivaldibow Let me know how you get on. Scrutinising the parts diagrams it seems obvious to go in via the mount - should give ready access to one side of the iris after removing the rear optical block. But it's more ideal to get access to both sides.
@tomasg This lens looks difficult from the front, complex helical structure for focus and zoom, two optical blocks judging from the diagrams.

It s almost always possible to separate the front optical block from the helicoid, no need to touch the helicoid, i CLA-ed 100+ lenses and the only exception to this that comes to mind is the Konica 45 f1.8, a pancake lens. THough i agree, zooms are more complicated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Canon LTM 50mm f/1.8 (type 4 according to Peter Kitchingman, last chrome version) and the Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 50mm f/2.8 in B39 (Braun Paxette) mount this week.
And just finished adapting Pentacon AV 80mm f/2.8 projector lens for my Fuji camera this morning Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compact 180mm 3.5 Soligor lens made by Tokina
Soligor 180mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Soligor 180mm 1:3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Compact 180mm 3.5 Soligor lens made by Tokina

Interesting - 16xxxx serial is attributed to tokina. Focus barrel etc looks tokina but I didn't know tokina produced "chrome eared" soligors.