Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oldhand"]
Uncommon lens - what mount is it?
Your results look impressive
Tom[/quote

it's a LOMO, says right there on the front Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Pentax-m 35mm F2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
SMC Pentax-m 35mm F2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Congratulations, I really enjoy this lens and I hope you will too. It's sharp in center from start and corner to corner by 5.6 on A7 + fantastic contrast, flare resistance and really vivid colour rendition, even WO.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visionar 1.6/119mm - too cheap to let it pass

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinon W 28/3,5 lens.

Any knows the rendering?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newest manual focus lens was Pentax-A 200/2.8. Love it, but really hard to nail manual focus with my Pentax K-1. Putting in a Canon S screen from focusingscreens.com made focus easier, but it made exposure metering such a total mess that I went back to the stock screen. So I surrendered and bought a used Pentax-FA 200/2.8, since I loved the focal length & speed. After that I bought a Pentax-FA 300/4.5. But neither of those are manual-focus lenses, so I'm being a heretic in my recent lens purchases.

Before the Pentax-A 200/2.8 I bought the Pentax-A 50/1.2. Another focusing challenge!

Will hang onto the Pentax & LTM manual-focus lenses, probably will get a full-frame mirrorless camera someday.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest lens is on the way.
Minolta Auto Tele Rokkor QE 100mm f3.5.
Listed as parts or repair. Paid $6.95 plus shipping.
Hopefully it's repairable. We shall see.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron 2.8-3.8/28-85mm in Nikon-Mount

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't bought a lens in months, but I've been keeping an eye out for one of these for a long time and I finally pounced. Aside from a few small marks on the body it's in great shape, and the glass is pristine.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah! That's one of my favorite lenses. Everyone talks about the AFD version being "better", and it is a very nice lens, and perhaps a bit sharper than the AIS. However, it has a serious issue with purple fringing, which I haven't noticed with my trusty old 180/2.8 ED AIS. On top of all that, the AIS balances perfectly on my D700 and has one of the best feeling focus mechanisms of all my lenses.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfhansen wrote:

Kiron 2.8-3.8/28-85mm in Nikon-Mount

That reminds me I still have to clean my copy full of fungus and with sticky/stuck aperture.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Kiron 2.8-3.8/28-85mm in Nikon-Mount... That reminds me I still have to clean my copy full of fungus and with sticky/stuck aperture.

If my memory serves me right it's an absolutely godawful design where everything trips everything and the lens has to come apart completely. Unlike 28-90.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD Rokkor 45 f/2 Reply with quote

Hello,

After years of absence on the forum I've finally came back Smile .
In the meantime I've added Fuji X-E1 + Lens Turbo II and about month ago Sony A7.

Today I've scored my first Minolta lens, quite nice one from what I've saw on the forum. MD-NEX adapter is on the way so I haven't tested the lens yet, but still putting it in front of EOS-NEX adapter showed quite sharp centre WO on A7.
I found this lens in bin full rubbish and dust on kind of car boot sale. It was literally covered dirt and dust Very Happy. Lens + Minolt SRT100X (seems to be working, but I need to run some negative through it) was €7.

After cleaning dust off, glass looks immaculate (although I should've wiped front glass before shooting those photos Wink with a bit more care). Filter ring was bent a little in one place, but that repaired nicely and filters and hoods can be easily screw in place. Aperture is clean and snappy and focusing is smooth, so all in all very nice condition for the price.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back . Nice lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
Kiron 2.8-3.8/28-85mm in Nikon-Mount... That reminds me I still have to clean my copy full of fungus and with sticky/stuck aperture.

If my memory serves me right it's an absolutely godawful design where everything trips everything and the lens has to come apart completely. Unlike 28-90.

I've found a dissassembly guide and an original manual.
http://boggys.myzen.co.uk/pdfmaster/Oily%20blades%20repair%20Kiron%2028-85%20December%202010.pdf
https://groups.io/g/KironKlub/files/Kiron%20Repair%20manuals/Kiron_28-85_f2.8-3.8_PSM_K54_KK_300dpi.pdf

Via https://groups.io/g/KironKlub/topics

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I've found a dissassembly guide

Good to know my memory's still ok.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Fortunately, the Kiron is in very good condition - even the blades are not oily. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This arrived today from Japan for my SMC Pentax 85-210mm 1:4.5 Zoom (or stovepipe)

attachement lens for takumar and SMC 85-210mm 1:4.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:
Oh, yeah! That's one of my favorite lenses. Everyone talks about the AFD version being "better", and it is a very nice lens, and perhaps a bit sharper than the AIS. However, it has a serious issue with purple fringing, which I haven't noticed with my trusty old 180/2.8 ED AIS. On top of all that, the AIS balances perfectly on my D700 and has one of the best feeling focus mechanisms of all my lenses.

Thanks! It's always nice to hear good things about a lens you just bought. Smile

I've only had the chance to take it out for about an hour so far, but I love it already. It's heavy, but in a good way that steadies the shot. It's lighter than my Helios 40-2 at least. Wink

Mechanically it's superb. I agree about the focusing. The big grippy ring is extremely easy and comfortable to use. The overall "feel" of the lens is absolutely top notch.

Sharpness and color saturation are excellent as well. I'm looking forward to doing some bokeh tests soon.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today this set came in:

Both lenses in excellent shape. The 200mm (A Tamron made lens if I am not wrong) has hardly ever been used. The 55 is a Tomioka Design. There was a complementary stack of extension tubes that were still in their original wrapping (that lasted exactly two seconds) that were not in the description.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I *almost* added another lens to my collection. I picked up a Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS from eBay for a decent price. When it arrived, it was very much as described with very clean glass. I focused it close, took a couple pictures, and all was well. But when I tried to focus for distance, it jammed and refused to focus farther than 0.3m. To his credit, the seller took it back, but that left me quite disappointed. I've wanted a 28/2.8 AIS for quite a long time. I guess I just have to keep looking...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a box of old camera stuff, most of which was fairly useless, but it had a Hanimex Praktica inside with this screwed on the front:

You can almost taste the East German thorium! I've got it baking under a UV light to reduce the lovely caramel tint in the glass.

8 rounded aperture blades...nice. The iris is completely clean and snappy. There's one tiny spot on the edge of the front element; I'm not sure what it is but it doesn't appear to be a chip or fungus. Otherwise the glass is clear.

The focusing is a bit herky-jerky - not stiff exactly, and perfectly usable, but...irregular.

I took this shot with my zebra Oreston because I was comparing them. The similarities between the body designs are interesting.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
You can almost taste the East German thorium! I've got it baking under a UV light to reduce the lovely caramel tint in the glass.

Nice find KEO.

I've been gently UV bombing a 50 1.4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar under bleak Scottish winter/spring skies for about 4 months (on and off). We should compare notes when you're done. Especially in how long it takes a UV lamp to clear the Farbe centers. Mine still has a tiny bit to go.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
I've been gently UV bombing a 50 1.4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar under bleak Scottish winter/spring skies for about 4 months (on and off). We should compare notes when you're done. Especially in how long it takes a UV lamp to clear the Farbe centers. Mine still has a tiny bit to go.

I use a cheap UV bug lamp. Results have varied from lens to lens, which seems a bit odd.

My Auto Yashinon DX 50mm 1.4 cleared up completely after about 48 hours, even though it was pretty dark to begin with. Others took a bit longer. My Auto Mamiya 55 1.4 didn't seem to clear at all. It makes me wonder whether some of the color isn't from coatings rather than thorium.

The Pancolar has cleared a fair amount after only about 20 hours, but it still has a good way to go. I'll give it a look again when it hits 48 hours.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

I use a cheap UV bug lamp. Results have varied from lens to lens, which seems a bit odd.

My Auto Yashinon DX 50mm 1.4 cleared up completely after about 48 hours, even though it was pretty dark to begin with. Others took a bit longer. My Auto Mamiya 55 1.4 didn't seem to clear at all. It makes me wonder whether some of the color isn't from coatings rather than thorium.

The Pancolar has cleared a fair amount after only about 20 hours, but it still has a good way to go. I'll give it a look again when it hits 48 hours.

One of the things I've noticed is that the tint appears to decay in half lifes when attacked with UV, i.e It takes as long to reduce the initial tint by half, as it does to reduce what's left by half,... and on and on. The process seems to be one of diminishing returns. Have you noticed that with your process?

You mention that some of these lenses may simply have a brown coating, and certainly there's one person I keep coming across on the internet who is adamant that the 50 1.4 Takumars have a brown coating and so trying to remove all the brown tint is a fools errand. I've been persevering with the UV treatment on mine to see if that is true. On mine, a beautiful ruby tint, possibly also a violet, is being revealed, but it seems so far to be overlaying a gold coloured background (differing multi-coatings?). Perhaps that is what he has seen.

Holding the lens over white paper and comparing with a Super Tak 50 1.8, also meant to be thoriated, (and which has a lovely gold tint from the coatings itself), it looks to me like the 1.4 still has some 'browning', so I'll keep going.