Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
Topcor RE Auto Zoom 87-205/4.7. Not much info about it out there but, hey, it’s Topcor. I read an old post in another forum it was actually made by Sun?

I’ll post samples in a new thread shortly.

At least it was licenced from Sun. There are contradictionary informations around. I don't know what's right.
I have this lens myself but don't use it. Don't expect too much from it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcon lenses are a mixed bag anyway.
Some are excellent, others are average at best.
By the way, the current Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 is a Topcon design.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Topcon lenses are a mixed bag anyway.
Some are excellent, others are average at best.
By the way, the current Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 is a Topcon design.

Well, the Topcon 58/1.4 and it's Voigtlaender copy are actually enhanced Biotar/Xenon designs (7/5) like the Zeiss Pancolar 55/1.4 or the Nikkor-S 55/1.2 or the Contarex Planar 55/1.4, etc.. I don't really know which was first, most probably the Contarex in 1959.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my MD W.Rokkor 17mm f/4 arrived.

It was a gamble when I bought it because I only saw a few very fuzzy pictures of it ... taken in the dark from a distance (in an advertisement).
Besides the poor quality of the pictures the lens was hidden between the other lenses of a set.
But that was probably the reason why nobody else had seen this lens in that ad.

On request the man told me that the lens was fine, apart from a few "very weak" scratches in the frontglass.

Well, the lens I got was not beauty. Far from being even.
It's not really damaged, but it must have seen a lot of action, that's for sure.
But the worst thing is that the scratches in the frontglass are anything but faint. They are big and there are more than a few.

The good news, however, is that the lens is clean inside and that everything works as it should.
I tested it and the pictures look good, but the scratches start to appear very vaguely from f/8 onwards.
(But to able te see this I did photograph a white wall).

So, all in all it could have been better but it isn't a total loss either I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flektogon 20/4 arrived and it is well.. quite interesting to say the least... Shot some night and some portrait with it but it needs some practice..

I also had a Pentacon 29/2.8 arrive that was meant to be working and looked optically great in the ad; turns out the aperture was screwed.. So eBay refund time... To console myself I ended up using that cash to buy an old Zenit 3M, attached to which is a first (metal) version of the Helios 44 - 13 blades from what I've read?

That inspired me to dig out the Helios I had stored, which has lain resting for quite some time as using it on the DSLR was a bit of a pain... Turns out it was a 44-2, and just having a quick feel of it on the A6000 - it is sharp as in the centre... even wide open...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

... To console myself I ended up using that cash to buy an old Zenit 3M, attached to which is a first (metal) version of the Helios 44 - 13 blades from what I've read?

They made those silver versions also with 8 blades.

I hope you are lucky and it will be the 13-bladed version that arrives.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica Hexanon 57mm f/1.2 and 57mm f/1.4 are on the way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Konica Hexanon 57mm f/1.4

Would be great to see some long distance infinity shots (or full body portraits) wide open.
The bokeh is pretty enticing, but so far, every full size photo I stumbled upon in the wild wasnt remotely sharp.

Perhaps your copy will break the mould.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina ATX SD 80-200mm f2.8 Nikon AI mount.
Won it for US$11 and the shipping cost US$27.50 Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heheheheheh

it's pristine! might have even been NOS, still has original unopened lenscloth.. might even be a decent lens? going to be a few days before I can try it out in full daylight, but sharpness stopped down under poor indoor lighting seemed potentially decent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-s will be with me within a week. I was led to it, indirectly, by a post in this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon to arrive two legacy Pentax Zooms The SMC Pentax 45-125mm F4 and the SMC Pentax-m 80-200mm F4.5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Would be great to see some long distance infinity shots (or full body portraits) wide open.
The bokeh is pretty enticing, but so far, every full size photo I stumbled upon in the wild wasnt remotely sharp.

I will give it a shot!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

I can't imagine why anyone would want to take infinity shots at widest aperture.
f1.4 can be used in portraits although f2 is probably more useful.
I don't have a model handy, but here is a shot with the 1.4/57 Hexanon AR at full aperture.
Sharpness is very good
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I can't imagine why anyone would want to take infinity shots at widest aperture.

Agreed. Not best practice usually. Unless you’re going for something. . . I don’t know. But I did once use a hammer to drive a screw into a piece of wood. It worked. Kinda.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Zenit 3M has arrived and I've check the Helios 44.. Its a 13 blade, but in m39 mount.. Serial number 106668..

Going to test it on the Dslr later....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a quick walkaround and the realisation this thing doesn't focus to infinity...o.0 Up close though I imagine it'll be great.. dull day so hard to get much in the way of highlights but its character shows..

These are all unprocessed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: arrived Reply with quote

SMC Pentax 45-125mm F4 and SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
So a quick walkaround and the realisation this thing doesn't focus to infinity...o.0

Obviously wrongly adapted. Zenit/M39 is 45.2 mm register distance; i.e. M42 is too long (45.46 mm).
Correct adaption for infinity focus on mirrorless cameras would be on a M39/LTM to camera adapter with additional M39 16.4 mm distance ring betw. adapter and lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Gott23 wrote:
So a quick walkaround and the realisation this thing doesn't focus to infinity...o.0

Obviously wrongly adapted. Zenit/M39 is 45.2 mm register distance; i.e. M42 is too long (45.46 mm).
Correct adaption for infinity focus on mirrorless cameras would be on a M39/LTM to camera adapter with additional 16.4 mm distance ring betw. adapter and lens.

yeah it was literally chucked on a M39/EOS adapter to mainly check it worked; I'd read about the distance rings before - with actual Zenit ones being mentioned..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
So the Zenit 3M has arrived and I've check the Helios 44.. Its a 13 blade, but in m39 mount.. Serial number 106668..

Going to test it on the Dslr later....

Congratulations!
I bought two, both for a cheap price but neither had 13 blades.
They are both silvery though and perform well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Germans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: arrived Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
SMC Pentax 45-125mm F4 and SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Two excellent, underrated and still available for cheap lenses.
I think that you will like these
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: arrived Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Tom

I am especially happy with the 45-125. An uncommon range and an old takumar design.

From Pentaxforums.com.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: arrived Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Tom

I am especially happy with the 45-125. An uncommon range and an old takumar design.

From Pentaxforums.com.

Nice angle of view range on crop sensor equivalent to ~70-220mm on full frame view.