Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Printing-Nikkor 95mm f/2.8, soon to be reviewed on the forum (once I've received all the pieces to adapt it to my camera.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Almost came home with a Yashinon 50mm f1.7 for £199 from a second hand shop. When I say 'almost came home with' I meant that I had it at the register and only realised when it was rang up that it wasn't £1.99 but £199.

"Rare as rocking horse shit mate in this condition". Crusted with dust and with paint loss. Still for two quid...

Check it out tomorrow,maybe you'll find it3 for 19,99 and a week later 1,99.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Almost came home with a Yashinon 50mm f1.7 for £199 from a second hand shop. When I say 'almost came home with' I meant that I had it at the register and only realised when it was rang up that it wasn't £1.99 but £199.

"Rare as rocking horse shit mate in this condition". Crusted with dust and with paint loss. Still for two quid...

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSC01443 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

Last edited by sergtum on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax SMC M 50mm f1.7 (attached to Pentax ME Super)
Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 (attached to a Praktica SLR)
Tokina 28-77mm f3.5-4.5 sd with macro option

The Pentax and CZJ are second copies of the lens (slightly newer serial numbers !)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Praktica L with the "mystery" 135mm/f2.8 arrived today and.. (drum roll)...

It's an "AUTO BEROFLEX" - and it does say "Made in Japan" on it...

A working Meyer Domiplan 50mm/f2.8 was stuck on the camera and another little lens I couldn't quite figure out in the listing picture turned out to be a nice clean Meyer Lydith 30mm/f/3.5 - so I really got the lot for the going rate (if not less) of the Lydith..

Very Happy

In another parcel, I got a Pentaflex (i.e Meyer Domiplan) 50mm/f/1.8 as well..

All in, not a bad post day.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago I picked up a Yashica TL Electro X camera with the 50mm f1.7 Yashinon DS lens attached. The kit is very common, of course, but I've been on sort of a Thorium lens kick lately so I decided to test it out with the Sony A7II.
First shot it SOOC jpeg at F8 and ISO 200. Second shot is a 1:1 crop. No sharpening or any adjustments. I can't point my finger at anything that the Thorium glass added but this thing is razor sharp!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rybolt wrote:
... I can't point my finger at anything that the Thorium glass added but this thing is razor sharp!

In the period going into the miniaturisation boom, thorium did one very valued thing. It produced glass with a high refractive index, allowing lenses to be smaller and lighter than before for a similar performance.

And if you've not killed off the Farbe centers (browning), it may be sending your auto white balance crazy. It does mine anyway. Browny/yellowy tints that don't look that attractive, to my eyes anyway. It's all subjective.

That is a rather sharp lens though Like 1 . Congrats.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the White Balance. I see the brown/yellow in the file. I also have a 50mm f1.4 Fujinon EBC that has the Thorium element. I'm going to shoot with both lenses and go to a manual white balance and compare the results against auto.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rybolt wrote:
Thanks for the tip on the White Balance. I see the brown/yellow in the file. I also have a 50mm f1.4 Fujinon EBC that has the Thorium element. I'm going to shoot with both lenses and go to a manual white balance and compare the results against auto.

Yeah, I have to do the same until I've got around to clearing the brown out. At this time of year in Scotland it's a couple of weeks of sitting the lens in the bay window when not in use. I just did a Takumar that was as stubborn as hell. The purply/magenta (ish) coating colour has just came back into view after weeks of pointing it at the sun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the Auto-Beroflex 135mm f/2.8 out for a quick test with a work colleague at lunchtime; neglecting to check I had the right adaptor on it. So these are all shot wide open at ISO400.

The images it took are very low contrast, so it's got quite good tolerance to push to high contrast - these were all processed by exposure lift in Camera RAW, then a tweak of the levels to lift that contrast..

It'll be interesting to see how it performs stepped down a few notches...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a bunch of (hopefully) good auction luck this week, first up:

an auto rikenon 50/1.7 (and the ricoh singlex it was attached to) and a Soligor (Komine?) 135/2.8, for a grand total of $34.95:

... my understanding is the auto rikenon is a tomioka; is it equivalent to the (supposedly also tomioka) yashinon-dx 50/1.7?

the bodies aren't quite the same (this rikenon is maybe also a few years older than my circa-1968 yashinon) but a lot of the build details and optics seem about the same

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:
had a bunch of (hopefully) good auction luck this week, first up:

an auto rikenon 50/1.7 (and the ricoh singlex it was attached to) and a Soligor (Komine?) 135/2.8, for a grand total of $34.95:

... my understanding is the auto rikenon is a tomioka; is it equivalent to the (supposedly also tomioka) yashinon-dx 50/1.7?

the bodies aren't quite the same (this rikenon is maybe also a few years older than my circa-1968 yashinon) but a lot of the build details and optics seem about the same

Isn't it the 1.4s, not the 1.7s - Rikenon, Chinon and others that are Tomioka designs bensdsmx? Apologies if I'm incorrect.

Nice haul by the way Like 1 small .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcor RE Auto Zoom 87-205/4.7. Not much info about it out there but, hey, it’s Topcor. I read an old post in another forum it was actually made by Sun?

I’ll post samples in a new thread shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
Topcor RE Auto Zoom 87-205/4.7. Not much info about it out there but, hey, it’s Topcor. I read an old post in another forum it was actually made by Sun?

So weird that 87mm , isn't it? My only Sun lens 38-90 3.5 macro is a beautiful performer, and excellent build quality - I'm very curious to seek this Topcor RE ,is it exakta mount?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
is it exakta mount?

Originally, yes. I have a nifty replacement kit that transforms it to M42, then just use that adapter for my Canon 6D.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Isn't it the 1.4s, not the 1.7s - Rikenon, Chinon and others that are Tomioka designs bensdsmx? Apologies if I'm incorrect.

might well be.. my understanding was the yashinon-dx 1.7 is tomioka, but perhaps these others are not.. the rikenon looks similar, but it's definitely not a clone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:

I have had these two lenses and they were both excellent in their own way.
I would not have said that they were identical.
Of the two, I preferred the Yashinon for its more subtle colour and bokeh

Rikenon 1.7/50

Auto Yashinon DX 1.7/50

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:

It seems to be the face lifted version of the Sun HiTele 85-210 F/4.8, which, especially for that era, is a fairly decent lens. I have a copy of the original Sun version, the contrast and resolution are certainly reasonable. They also have nice straight aperture blades, giving pronounced sunstars in night photography, unfortunately the coatings are not good enough to prevent fairly abundant flair patterns at night.

Sun Optical were quite early to the zoom lens party, releasing the 110-180 in the early 1960s. I'm quite curious to know what year the 85-210 was first sold.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gifted this camera and lens yesterday.
It is the original Pentax from 1957 with the Takumar 58mm f2.
The lens is a sonnar design.
I am really excited by this and will post some images in due course
Tom

Last edited by Oldhand on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Topcor was a cosmetic variant of the Sun. They came in black and alu versions.

The Sun was a very popular lens at the time.
I have a few of the Sun versions. It came in several flavors, in mounting types and auto and preset, plus the funky handgrip-cable connection type. A way to get auto operation on a t-mount lens.

As for dates, I want to say 1965, if I recall correctly, but dont hold me to it. It was sold for quite a few years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
It is the Asahiflex IIA from 1955 with the Takumar 58mm f2.
Tom

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!

No I don't Wink . Apologies for the outburst Tom. I just had this funny reaction. So you were just gifted one of the holy grails were you? You were obviously good in a previous life.

There is of course the set to go for (if you already have the others, just don't mention it if you could), but testing this one will provide pointers to the worth of doing that.

http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Pentax_Takumar_Collection.html

I'll look forward to the test shots as I don't actually have a scooby on it's performance . If anyone can get the best out of it, I suspect you can.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
As for dates, I want to say 1965, if I recall correctly, but dont hold me to it. It was sold for quite a few years.

Spot-on as usual, Luis. I’ve read that the lens was used as a prop in some silly sci-fi movie in 1964. Also advertised in Popular Photography in 1989. So it had quite a run.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica Hexanon 50/1.7 that should arrive in about two days.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
It is the Asahiflex IIA from 1955 with the Takumar 58mm f2.
Tom

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!

No I don't Wink . Apologies for the outburst Tom. I just had this funny reaction. So you were just gifted one of the holy grails were you? You were obviously good in a previous life.

There is of course the set to go for (if you already have the others, just don't mention it if you could), but testing this one will provide pointers to the worth of doing that.

http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Pentax_Takumar_Collection.html

I'll look forward to the test shots as I don't actually have a scooby on it's performance . If anyone can get the best out of it, I suspect you can.

Yes, I am extremely fortunate and very grateful for sure.
No I don't have any of the others but this was certainly a surprise to me as well.
I'll try a film in it soon.
Cheers
Tom