Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
I ordered a 1948 Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar 135mm f/4.0 in LTM with RF-coupling Whoo Turtle
And today it's going back to the seller Laugh 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus E.Zuiko AUTO-T 100mm F2.8 in a stunning condition.
Shiny Zuiko and battered Canon FDn now have a matter to settle: who's the ultimate 100/2.8 glass in the ultra-lightweight division?

Make your bets Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battered Canon FDn... pleonasm Wink ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Battered Canon FDn... pleonasm Wink ...

Sort of true, but it's a bit more than usual this time.

I got it with heavily damaged bayonet.
Lens took a nasty fall mount first, which nearly separated said mount from the body.
I don't know how high the dive was, nor how much G's it pulled coming to a stop, but rear group coatings began to flake off a little when I took it apart.

Anyway, I repaired it, and it became one of the two of my most used lens.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/curry-hexagon/albums/72157668886440327

Since "lightweight 100/2.8" formula proved to be so useful to me, I'd really like to have something in this focal length as impressive as my all time favourite Canon FDn 50/1.4.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But an early series 1, 70-210 of course.

I still haven't ad a chance to use it properly, hopefully there will be some time over Christmas Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
But an early series 1, 70-210 of course.

I still haven't ad a chance to use it properly, hopefully there will be some time over Christmas Smile

Did you once have this lens before Daniel?
I have vague recollections Smile
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No actually, perhaps I always spoke of it fondly.

Experimented with some of those Pentax zooms 70-150 M I think it was, and some soligor thing, but never got to the vivitar.

Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Kiron version which was very good. Also very heavy Smile
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A relatively cheap CZ Jena 135 f/3.5 MC Sonnar, in like new condition.

It's got five digits for the serial number, so I'm presuming it's a late production version then?

Coating tint is purple/blueish..

Only had a chance to shoot with it at lunchtime yesterday, but it's already knocked my socks off. Contrast is heavenly and shots only really require a stop of exposure at most, with the midtones tweaked on occasion.

Here's some of the shots from yesterday, generally at 400, handheld. Aperture I can't vouch for as I i might had the auto switch on...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmvwBLev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice rendering Darryl.
You have a good one there
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Very nice rendering Darryl.
You have a good one there
Tom

Thanks! I'm really stunned by this lens. It's a pain to focus (I wear glasses for a start) as it's hard to determine how precise youve got it - I wasn't using an AF assist mount so that might help in future but possible mirror/rear issues - , but the 3.5 cuts some slack with a greater DOF.. it really needs a light touch, however at 400 ISO, I think it gets quite close to film for grain and feel and that contrast is unbelievable; It might well be I'm underexposing a little - I work on keeping it at 1/125, and shift ISO from 400 down, and adjust aperture - it just seems more intuitive manually, given you effectively get DOF preview.. - but I rarely see overblown highlights and I've noticed that with the Zeiss Jena glass I'm using now..

So here's colour; the PP is a film emulation (forgot what type; it's either provia or an agfa, possibly with a slight blue shift; also ups contrast a little - good for correcting warm temps)

and as for contrast.... o.0

I really can't wait to try this lens for a few other types of shots - portraits a must, and landscape as well (specially at 1x1 format)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good. Really reminds me of the 37A I had ages ago.

Contrast for days. Enjoy Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas has come slightly early with the postman bringing my new stiff Pancolar 50mm f/1.8 (quite a late one, serial number is in the 10 millions..)

Fits the DSLR like a glove, thought it IS stiff but I got it at a decent price as a consequence..

Just playing around with it a little to get a feel of it and I'm already impressed..

Gonna be a great weekend! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest acquisition: Rodenstock APO-Rodagon 50mm/F2.8 M39 enlarger/macro lens (EUR 80.- = bargain).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor ED 4.5/300mm and Canon FD 4.5/85-300mm SSC.

Both lenses deserve a place in history; the former for being the first lightweight and IF 300mm lens with ED glass, the latter as an early (relativetly) fast sports/news zoom.

I have checked both lenses against the first ever fluorite lens for 35mm cameras, the Canon FL-F 5.6/300mm (1968), and there's no doubt about the winner: The Canon fluorite lens is way better than the (much younger!) ED Nikkor.

Surprisingly, the color correction of the Nikkor 4.5/300mm ED isn't that much better than the color correction of the Minolta MD 4.5/300mm IF.

In the "slow 300mm lens" department (f4, f4.5 and f5.6 lenses), the Mamiya Secor C 5.6/300mm and the Canon FL-F 5.6/300mm are still the best performers I know (see table below for lenses I've tested). The Canon FL-F has slightly less lateral CAs than the Mamiya; the Mamiya has better corner resolution and contrast at f5.6. Both are excellent performers if low weight is essential.

Canon nFD 4/300mm IF, nFD 4/300mm IF L, FL-F 5.6/300mm Fluorite, FD 5.6/300mm SSC, nFD 5.6/300mm IF, nFD 5.6/100-300mm L
Konica AR 4.5/300mm
Mamiya Sekor CS 4/300mm, Sekor C 5.6/300mm
Minolta MC/MD 5.6/300mm, MC 4.5/300mm, MD 4.5/300mm IF
Nikkor 4.5/300mm IF-ED
Olympus Zuiko Auto-T 4.5/300mm
Pentax M* 4/300mm ED
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 4/300mm (early 1950s Exakta bayonet version)

Of course, lenses such as the Leitz 4/280mm will outperform all of these lenses, but the Apo Telyt 4/280mm is much newer and, of course, much more expensive.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Of course, lenses such as the Leitz 4/280mm will outperform all of these lenses, but the Apo Telyt 4/280mm is much newer and, of course, much more expensive.

Agree, that CA's are the biggest problem with these legacy lenses. However, even my old Telyt (version II) 280/4.8 in LTM/Visoflex is totally free of disturbing CA's and sufficient "sharp".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently ordered two K-mount-lenses:

A relatively standard Helios 44K-4 and, much less common, and first time I buy a zoom for a camera: the MC Variozenitar 2.8-3.5/25-45mm Whoo Turtle

In addition, I threw in a Moskva-2 camera, allegedly working, but it's cheap enough, so it's OK if it turns out to be display-only Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got
    - two in EX++ condition ISCO Cinelux Ultra HD f2/100mm projection lenses
    - a very solid looking 180degree Soligor fisheye adapter
    - a Meopta Mirar 3.5/35mm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out in the yard with the early Series 1 (70-210), a friendly butcher bird came to remind me about cool it is to be a butcher bird.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oCn7abUfD5KEQGvE8

at 210mm and f3.5, on my new love the photocopier 5D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Agree, that CA's are the biggest problem with these legacy lenses. However, even my old Telyt (version II) 280/4.8 in LTM/Visoflex is totally free of disturbing CA's and sufficient "sharp".

That's an interesting information - since i'm not into Leitz lenses, could you post a sample comparing the Telyt (version II) 280/4.8 with one of the lenses i mentioned above?

Thanks in advance Wink
Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
That's an interesting information - since i'm not into Leitz lenses, could you post a sample comparing the Telyt (version II) 280/4.8 with one of the lenses i mentioned above?

You're welcome: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1520131.html#1520131

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya Macro Sekor 60mm f2.8... should arrive in the next day or so...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at the local photo-store yesterday to deliver some negatives... couldn't resist to take a few Pentax-goodies home, as I'm often playing with my K100D.

A PK 2* teleconverter from Panagon, and the SMC Pentax-M zoom 1:2.8-4.0 40-80mm. I like to use both 40 and 80mm on APSC, so maybe this is a lens that will get some actual use Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locally found: GOI MC Telegoir 2.8/200mm, Rubinar MC 8/500mm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I received my Laowa 10-18mm for Sony E.

There was a bit of confusion and slight panic when I could not get it in focus. Then I removed it from the Nikon AI to Sony E adapter, which it fitted quite well, and attached it directly to the camera. It worked so much better! (My other Laowas are all AI fit).

It's dull, depressing weather so I won't be trying it out for some time. It comes with a magnetic filter holder for 100mm wide filters. It also takes 37mm rear filters. I have, from my film days, a considerable collection of Formatt Hitech ones, including grads.