Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 50mm f1.8 after hearing it is great for bubble bokeh. Unfortunately it isn't good on one side (keeps happening to me). Later today got a Canon nFD 50mm f1.4 which is stunning. Really really impressed at f1.4. Have ordered a focal reducer to help with all the poor M42 lenses, as they improve when stopped down. Have about 8 more cheap lenses on the way... have decided to try and do some zen meditation to stop this Idea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a few more over the past months, below are some quick impressions I've gathered from them.

Pentax M42 Super-Takumar 28mm f/3.5: Practically got it for free and in near mint condition. Build quality and handling are awesome, but when shooting I noticed a high amount of field curvature on the A7. Kinda put it aside after that but I'll pick it up and give it a fair shot at some point - it cost me nothing after all.

Olympus OM 100mm f/2.8 (version 3, "Japan" label) - Picked one up after reading a bunch of great reviews. I had a gap in my kit and the 100mm fills it nicely. The more I use this lens the more I love it. Great contrast and sharpness already wide open, flare control is excellent, colors are excellent, build quality and handling are excellent, size is excellent, just an excellent lens overall. Prices on this lens are getting high and I can see why, I may have paid too much for it but no better time than now before prices get even higher.

Pentax-K SMC 28mm f/3.5 - I bit the bullet on this one as I wanted a really great 28mm lens for my kit and this one doesn't disappoint. Prices on this lens are getting high as well but I got a decent deal on it. Compared to the M42 Super-Tak version there's way less field curvature, only a tiny bit in the corners that clears up by f/11. Flare resistance is phenomenal and sun stars are decent too.

Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 - Def an impulse buy, was hoping for a better landscape lens than the already excellent Olympus but I was surprised to see that the OM outperforms it for my tastes in nearly every department. I prb won't keep this one, but it's still a good lens - the Olympus is only slightly better in most aspects except corner sharpness at faster apertures (the Olympus is way better than the Pentax here).

Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 - To finish off my Pentax kick I decided to try their 50mm 1.7. I wasn't super impressed as my Minolta MD-III 50/2 sets a pretty high bar for most 50's but I found the Pentax has much better flare and ghosting resistance - the best I've seen on a fast vintage kit lens. Unfortunately IMO the Minolta is better in almost every other area (especially corner sharpness at fast apertures). I got this lens for cheap so I may just keep it around.

Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8 (version 4, "made in Japan" label) - My most recent purchase, hoping that the 50mm is as impressive as the 100mm. It's certainly better than the Pentax-M in most areas but I've found it has a pretty fatal flaw at slower apertures - noticeable contrast loss starting at f/8. It's also got some noticeable spherical aberration at f/1.8 which isn't terrible but my Minolta 50/2 has practically none, so once again I am ruined by the Minolta. Build quality and handing are excellent though, a joy to hold and use just like the 100mm.

I think I'll take a break for a while and use what I have. I'm focusing on making a review of the OM 50mm 1.8 on my A7 since I find that lens interesting right now.

Last edited by Steakface on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Olympus OM 100mm f/2.8 (version 3, "Japan" label) - Picked one up after reading a bunch of great reviews. I had a gap in my kit and the 100mm fills it nicely. The more I use this lens the more I love it. Great contrast and sharpness already wide open, flare control is excellent, colors are excellent, build quality and handling are excellent, size is excellent, just an excellent lens overall. Prices on this lens are getting high and I can see why, I may have paid too much for it but no better time than now before prices get even higher.

Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 - Def an impulse buy, was hoping for a better landscape lens than the already excellent Olympus but I was surprised to see that the OM outperforms it for my tastes in nearly every department. I prb won't keep this one, but it's still a good lens - the Olympus is only slightly better in most aspects except corner sharpness at faster apertures (the Olympus is way better than the Pentax here).

While you're onto small 100/2.8's, you might want to give the Canon FD 100/2.8 a try. It can be had at pretty low prices and is reputed to be a very good performer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
While you're onto small 100/2.8's, you might want to give the Canon FD 100/2.8 a try. It can be had at pretty low prices and is reputed to be a very good performer.

Funny you mention that - I was actually considering the Canon first, but once I started looking at the Olympus I forgot about it. I may try one out after selling off the Pentax, prices on it are reasonable as you say.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can provide some feedback on FDn 100/2.8, as this was my "latest lens".

It's sharp right from the wide open setting, enough for any type of portraiture or subject photography. No glow in harsh light.
CAs are atrocious in live view, but somehow are very well corrected in RawTherapee (not all CAs are)
Lens has some axial CAs which give it distinctive "FDn" look , in line with 35/2 and 50/1.4 I have.
Microcontrast is lowest among the three I've mentioned, makes focusing wide open somewhat tough.

Where this lens is a complete disaster is flare resistance.
You cant have sun pretty much anywhere in front of you, doesn't matter how far out of the frame.
Hooding it will only reduce the issue, not eliminate it.
Stopped down, veiling will improve by a lot, but you will get ghosting in exchange.

Adjusting for 100mm is a new experience for me. This focal length isn't easy.
So far, I have love-hate relationship with this glass. Don't like at all to haul hood around and composing around light sources.
Yet somehow I do get a lot of decent pictures from it.

Here is my first shots with this glass:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/curry-hexagon/albums/72157668886440327
All but one wide open. All shots are full-size, available for download.
I haven't gotten yet to processing more, as I'm currently on a trip.
Check back on album sometime later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steakface wrote:
Boris_Akunin wrote:

Funny you mention that - I was actually considering the Canon first, but once I started looking at the Olympus I forgot about it. I may try one out after selling off the Pentax, prices on it are reasonable as you say.

The nFD version is the lightest and probably slightly better optically but the nFD lenses are more susceptible to wear.
The nFD lenses use rubber(/plastic/teflon/whatever) bushings that deteriorate over time, see here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57208104
http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-new-fd-fdn-focus-slop-t74429.html

When they don't have any issues, the ficus rings on most nFD lenses (apart from the cheap ones like 28/2.8 & 50/1.8) tend to be quite smooth, not quite as good as the old brass lenses but they tend to be less stiff (it's a matter of taste, I rahter like it).
I don't know if the 100/2.8 has moving lens groups or whether it just moves the whole eoptical block. For moving groups like the "floating elements" in the wide angle lenses (24/2, 24/2.8, 28/2, 35/2), the deteriorating bushings can be problematic.

When they're in good condition, the nFD lenses tend to be very good performers (for example, I seem to have gotten very luck with my nFD35/2).
With identical filter threads across a wide range of lenses (55mm on the old and 52mm on the new FD lenses) and reversible bajonet lens hoods (While the old lens caps interfere with the hood, Canons current ones don't), Canon FD is a good choice if you're building a kit and there are a number of good budget lenses (e.g. 35/2.8, 100/2.8, 70-150/4.5, 300/5.6).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:

When they're in good condition, the nFD lenses tend to be very good performers (for example, I seem to have gotten very luck with my nFD35/2).

I'll take this opportunity to thank you for a said review, sold me on 35/2.

Mine was in beat up condition and I did a major overhaul.
Seems to be up there with your copy in terms of performance.

Also, looks like Canon added blood of the newborns, or something, in the 35/2 glass.
The microcontrast is unlike anything I've seen, and focus peaking very much agrees with me on that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
I'll take this opportunity to thank you for a said review, sold me on 35/2.

Mine was in beat up condition and I did a major overhaul.
Seems to be up there with your copy in terms of performance.

Also, looks like Canon added blood of the newborns, or something, in the 35/2 glass.
The microcontrast is unlike anything I've seen, and focus peaking very much agrees with me on that.

You're quite welcome, I do those comparisons for myself anyway (though making all the 100% crops & formatting the forum post is more work than the shooting).
I probably have another one coming up. I've found the little Samyang FE 35/2.8 quite fun (Amazon was asking ~210€ on "Prime Day", I couldn't say no) but I need to decide whether I I've gotten a good copy or if I should try and swap it for a better one from Amazon.
I migh as well do a comparison with the nFD35/2.

The AF may be noisy and prone to hunting in low light but a good copy of the Samyang should beat the Zeiss 35/2.8 (which is on par with the Minolta MD35/2.8 that was clearly inferior to my nFD35/2). I really curious how the Samyang and nFD35/2 compare.
I wouldn't think of selling the nFD35/2 for the ~120€ I paid but could probably get quite a bit more for a proven good performer with no issues (loose focus ring, loose floating elements) and all the accessories one would want (original caps & hood, Canon E-52II and a a lens case that's a perfect fit for the lens with the hood and a a lens adapter attached).

The Samyang FE35/2.8 and Sony FE85/1.8 make a good backbone for my kit, I can fill a few gaps with the nFD50/1.4, nFD35-105/3.5 & nFD300/5.6 but the two things I'd really want to add are a good wide angle zoom (the nFD20-35/3.5L is my current favourite) and a tele zoom (AF would be a big plus, I'm hoping Tamron will make an affordable 70-300/4-5.6 in the not too distant future).

The nFD35/2 would probably work well on a Techart AF adapter but I would have to upgrade to a 2nd or 3rd generation A7 for that to work (the Techart adaper is basically useless on the 1st gen A7's).

I'm mostly through putting all my remaining by-catch up for sale, I have a few bits left but I'm almost down to the lenses I actually use now. I might just get the new Samyang 24/2.8 as well, looks to be a good performer and the tiny size is a big plus.

nFD300/5.6 | nFD35-105/3.5 | Sony FE85/1.8
nFD50/1.4 | A7 + Samyang FE35/2.8 | nFD24/2.8
nFD35/2 | Pentax K28/3.5
K&F Concept FD/FE adapter | Fotodiox Pro PK/FE adapter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just while I'm on the subject, a few shots from my recent outing with the little thing (all SOOC, auto WB, "Portrait" setting with slight changes, settings in the filenames):

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
Quote:

Another idea in this format, the Fujinon 100mm f/2.8 is a stunning performer. Possibly not quite as common as the Olympus or Pentax equivalents, but well worth a try if you find one!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
I can provide some feedback on FDn 100/2.8, as this was my "latest lens".

It's sharp right from the wide open setting, enough for any type of portraiture or subject photography. No glow in harsh light.
CAs are atrocious in live view, but somehow are very well corrected in RawTherapee (not all CAs are)
Lens has some axial CAs which give it distinctive "FDn" look , in line with 35/2 and 50/1.4 I have.
Microcontrast is lowest among the three I've mentioned, makes focusing wide open somewhat tough.

Where this lens is a complete disaster is flare resistance.
You cant have sun pretty much anywhere in front of you, doesn't matter how far out of the frame.
Hooding it will only reduce the issue, not eliminate it.
Stopped down, veiling will improve by a lot, but you will get ghosting in exchange.

Adjusting for 100mm is a new experience for me. This focal length isn't easy.
So far, I have love-hate relationship with this glass. Don't like at all to haul hood around and composing around light sources.
Yet somehow I do get a lot of decent pictures from it.

Here is my first shots with this glass:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/curry-hexagon/albums/72157668886440327
All but one wide open. All shots are full-size, available for download.
I haven't gotten yet to processing more, as I'm currently on a trip.
Check back on album sometime later.

That sounds about like I remember the nFD85/1.8. I can't speak for it's flare resistance but I found the nFD100/2 to be excellent in terms of sharpness, contrast & CA (on par with the Minolta MD85/2). Should you come to like the focal lenght (rather than 85 or 135), that one might be worth a look. You might get lucky but it's usually fairly pricy.
http://www.canonclassics.com/canon-nfd-100mm-f2/10-76/

My FE85/1.8 has displaced everything else in that range (nFD100/2, MD85/2, Samyang 85/1.4) but I would have picked the 100/2 out of all the manual lenses I've ever tried.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Cat Just took delivery of a Tamron SP 24-48mm f3.5-3.8 - and its good! Picked up the hood last year cheaply (new - never used), so have been waiting patiently for a 24-48 that met my budget. Under $AUD100 delivered buy now? - why yes Sir I'll take that Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
:1c) Just took delivery of a Tamron SP 24-48mm f3.5-3.8 - and its good! Picked up the hood last year cheaply (new - never used), so have been waiting patiently for a 24-48 that met my budget. Under $AUD100 delivered buy now? - why yes Sir I'll take that :D

That's quite a useful range and the Tamron is very small given the specs, I hope you find the IQ satisfactory (if not, the Minolta MD 24-50/4 might be worth a look).

Too bad that sort of lens design has been abandoned since the 80's, I'd love a 20-50mm f/4 or f/2.8... (looking at the path that WA zooms have taken, that seems like a logical development)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Boris_Akunin"]
RnR wrote:
Happy Cat
Too bad that sort of lens design has been abandoned since the 80's, I'd love a 20-50mm f/4 or f/2.8... (looking at the path that WA zooms have taken, that seems like a logical development)

Actually Minolta had a MD 4.0/20-28mm prototype back then, along with the MD 3.5/24-35mm which finally was chosen for production.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
I hope you find the IQ satisfactory (if not, the Minolta MD 24-50/4 might be worth a look).

Thanks for the recommendation, but (un)fortunately I'm restricted to m42 and CY mount glass as my Metabones Speed Booster is for the CY mount. Shame that Zeiss never tried a zoom in this range for Contax Sad

A nice to have 1st world problem Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Canon nFD 100/2.8, I've had a lot of experience with that lens, but it was all film -- slides, really. It was an excellent performer from that standpoint. No CA, and no flare. I don't recall the sun being a problem, but that was over 30 years ago. I have one favorite photo I took with that lens. The Wilshire District in Los Angeles, CA, the Hotel Bonaventura in the foreground. I corrected this photo for vertical lines, which in retrospect I don't think I should have done. It seems weird to me now.

Canon F-1, Canon nFD 100mm f/2.8, Kodachrome 64

Regarding the nFD 85/1.8 that Boris mentioned, I own one but I've only shot digital with it -- so far. Its performance is better than the 100/2.8's, I think, but I attribute this to its faster aperture, which allows for greater low light flexibility and better oof highlight performance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor-S 5cm f2
This is the seven element precursor to the Nikkor-H, Nikkor-H.C, Nikkor AI 50mm f2 which are six element lenses of course.
Sharp from wide open, interesting bokeh and very tasty flare.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rare tamron adaptamatic 135mm f3.5

Quick test pic on my K3-ii, 6MPx jpg, f3.5.

Crop:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Tamron AD2 SP 13a 24-48mm f3.5-3.8 Reply with quote

Just received an absolutely mint copy complete with the all important (and rare as rocking horse manure) lens hood

Looking forward to testing this out later!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that same lens, but alas no hood. Guess I'm out of luck, unless I know where to find rocking horse manure. I wonder if the hood for my Tamron 17mm will fit. I'll have to give that a try.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I wonder if the hood for my Tamron 17mm will fit. I'll have to give that a try.

I'd doubt it, the the 24-48's hood (#27FH) fits a bajonet mount that must be smaller than the 64.5mm lens diameter, the 17's hood is a push-on type and the 17's front diameter is 70mm.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/13A.html
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/51B.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Nikkor-S 5cm f2
This is the seven element precursor to the Nikkor-H

Interesting! I've never seen one ...

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
I'd doubt it, the the 24-48's hood (#27FH) fits a bajonet mount that must be smaller than the 64.5mm lens diameter, the 17's hood is a push-on type and the 17's front diameter is 70mm.

Yup correct. I have both lenses here with hoods and I just had a play. As an aside, the #27FH is made of thin plastic. Likely to crack if you ever dropped it with lens attached. The #20FH is a nice hood. Thick and flexible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Carenar lenses, a 2.8/35mm and a 2.8/135mm. They came together with a Topcon RE 300 plus Topcor RE 1.7/55mm - the whole lot for a mere CHF 3.--. Now these Carenars are bad! Corners never get sharp, even at f8 or f11. Some of the worst lenses i have ever tested! They look similar - both in performance as in appearance - as the corresponding Elicar lenses.

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Two Carenar lenses, a 2.8/35mm and a 2.8/135mm. They came together with a Topcon RE 300 plus Topcor RE 1.7/55mm - the whole lot for a mere CHF 3.--. Now these Carenars are bad! Corners never get sharp, even at f8 or f11. Some of the worst lenses i have ever tested! They look similar - both in performance as in appearance - as the corresponding Elicar lenses.

Stephan

I am interested to hear what you think of the Topcor RE 1.7/55mm. It is a Cimko lens I think
Tom