Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Schneider Macro-Varon 85mm 0.5...2x (APO and resolves up to 2.5 micron) Wink

Better use it with Royal X Pan film then Smile Smile Smile
Can't wait to see some images from this Klaus
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus OM 300mm f/4.5, shown here on an E-M5 II

Nothing particularly special until you look at the date code on the base,

SAT6 says this lens was manufactured in Sakagi in June of 2000, which makes it one of the last before the transition to digital lenses.
I've been watching various OM lenses on ebay for most of the past year and I have found it very rare to see any OM lenses for sale from the late '90's or early 2000's.
Since I have a preference for the latest production, with presumably the best coatings, then this lens is special to me.
I haven't done any test shots yet, interested to compare with my Tokina AT-X 300/2.8.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
Olympus OM 300mm f/4.5, ...
I haven't done any test shots yet, interested to compare with my Tokina AT-X 300/2.8.

The optical performance of the OM 4.5/300mm is comparable to e. g. the Minolta MD 4.5/300mm IF and Pentax M* 4/300mm ED.

All three lenses have considerable lateral CAs. Personally, i prefer the Minolta due to its smooth internal focusing (IF) and its MFD of 3m / 10ft. The Pentax and the Oly both have a MFD of 4.0 m, and both have no internal focusing. Tht said, the Oly is very well built and certainly a nice piece of craftsmanship!

Contemporary 2.8/300mm lenses (e. g. Canon FD 2.8/300mm Fluorite, Canon nFD 2.8/300mm L or Minolta AF 2.8/300mm APO, and probably also the Nikkor 2.8/300mm IF-ED which i never managed to test) are better, especially when it come to CAs.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
Olympus OM 300mm f/4.5, ...

The optical performance of the OM 4.5/300mm is comparable to e. g. the Minolta MD 4.5/300mm IF and Pentax M* 4/300mm ED.

All three lenses have considerable lateral CAs. Personally, i prefer the Minolta due to its smooth internal focusing (IF) and its MFD of 3m / 10ft. The Pentax and the Oly both have a MFD of 4.0 m, and both have no internal focusing. Tht said, the Oly is very well built and certainly a nice piece of craftsmanship!

Contemporary 2.8/300mm lenses (e. g. Canon FD 2.8/300mm Fluorite, Canon nFD 2.8/300mm L or Minolta AF 2.8/300mm APO, and probably also the Nikkor 2.8/300mm IF-ED which i never managed to test) are better, especially when it come to CAs.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dpan wrote:
Olympus OM 300mm f/4.5, shown here on an E-M5 II

SAT6 says this lens was manufactured in Sakagi in June of 2000, which makes it one of the last before the transition to digital lenses.
I've been watching various OM lenses on ebay for most of the past year and I have found it very rare to see any OM lenses for sale from the late '90's or early 2000's.
Since I have a preference for the latest production, with presumably the best coatings, then this lens is special to me.

I noticed the felt flocking at the rear recess. A very nice touch! I've never seen that in any other lens before. Also the serial on your lens is 149007 - must be one of the first off the block?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Schneider Macro-Varon 85mm 0.5...2x (APO and resolves up to 2.5 micron) Wink

Better use it with Royal X Pan film then Smile Smile Smile
Can't wait to see some images from this Klaus
Tom

Thanks Tom,
but will take a while to get here, and when it arrives, I will be on my way to Denver CO to speak at the IEEE congress, so I'll be back end of April and hopefully then I will find some time to do some testing. Weather should be much better then... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually had tis lens for several years. I got it with a large lot of other items and tried unsuccessfully to sell it on Ebay. I think I had it listed for $39. I just tested it with the Sony A7II and now I wouldn't sell it for any price!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander 50mm 1.8 HFT Planar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Konica Hexanon badged version of that Tokina 28-135 and can confirm it is a superb lens.

Nice Ultron/Planar, is it in M42? I have it's sister Dynarex/Distagon in M42 and have never been able to find the Ultron/Planar in M42, only QBM.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Rollei HFT version of the Planar/Color Ultron. If I recall correctly the Ultron had a concave front element and the QBM's were all convex.
There were rumors that this lens was available in M42 but the only one I've heard of was a lens that had been modified to that mount.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I mentioned that I got the Voigtländer Heliar Hyper-Wide 5.6/10?
What an impressive lens!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have the Konica Hexanon badged version of that Tokina 28-135 and can confirm it is a superb lens.

Nice Ultron/Planar, is it in M42? I have it's sister Dynarex/Distagon in M42 and have never been able to find the Ultron/Planar in M42, only QBM.

Never found or seen an m42 mount either..would've been my choice...think i got enough QBM Lenses to justify my adapter.The Carl Zeiss Planar is made in germany and the Rolleinar Mc is the 200mm f 3.5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubinar 5.6/500.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rybolt wrote:
I have the Rollei HFT version of the Planar/Color Ultron. If I recall correctly the Ultron had a concave front element and the QBM's were all convex.
There were rumors that this lens was available in M42 but the only one I've heard of was a lens that had been modified to that mount.

The Voigtländer VSL-1 had M42 mount and Color Ultron 50mm 1.8 with convex frontlens as a kitlens. So you probably have to find a VSL-1 to get that lens in M42.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a Minolta MD 24-35 for a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Jena R-Biotar 0.85/5.5cm (55mm) in like new condition
in makers box with sun shade, Exakta mount. Unknown to Thiele
Wink Wink Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Wink Wink Wink

Like 1

Can it focus to infinity?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Wink Wink Wink

Like 1

Can it focus to infinity?

Most likely not, possibly portraits only. Bought it as a collectors piece.
I have a later sister lens of that already, this is the sister...

I show pics of the new lens after it has arrived..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Rybolt wrote:

The Voigtländer VSL-1 had M42 mount and Color Ultron 50mm 1.8 with convex frontlens as a kitlens. So you probably have to find a VSL-1 to get that lens in M42.

Found mine on Ebay long ago. I see one on sale a couple times a month at least, not common but not rare at all.
Calling the front glass of the first version "concave" is appropriate.
Regarding the second version, the word "convex" is a bit of an exaggeration. Find the cut-out of the optical layout on the Web, you'll see that is almost flat.
I still have to try it on digital full frame, but at least I found a way to stick the auto pin without opening the lens Smile

I read about it quite often on the Internet, and a few times I found that this lens is reported as single coated.
From what I remember, it should be MC (HFT). Though none of the two terms is found in the engravings.
Any clue? I don't have the objective with me, other way I'd check...

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
Minolfan wrote:
Rybolt wrote:

Found mine on Ebay long ago. I see one on sale a couple times a month at least, not common but not rare at all.
Calling the front glass of the first version "concave" is appropriate.
Regarding the second version, the word "convex" is a bit of an exaggeration. Find the cut-out of the optical layout on the Web, you'll see that is almost flat.
I still have to try it on digital full frame, but at least I found a way to stick the auto pin without opening the lens Smile

I read about it quite often on the Internet, and a few times I found that this lens is reported as single coated.
From what I remember, it should be MC (HFT). Though none of the two terms is found in the engravings.
Any clue? I don't have the objective with me, other way I'd check...

Actually I have two Ultron 50/1.8 in M42 both bought still attached to a VSL-1 for little money.

As for the coatings: Obviously there have been some early productions in Braunschweig/Germany with the earlier non-HFT coatings as well but as soon the production was shifted to Singapore ALL lenses have been made with HFT coatings only, irrespective of markings (Rollei and Voigtlaender) until Rollei/Voigtlaender stopped their own lens production and bought their lenses from Mamiya and others.

BTW, super-glue does the trick with the aperture pin. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the data on the M42 version of the Color Ultron. You guys are the best!
That wasn't a common camera/lens combo to find in the US and I wasn't aware of the kit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't put through the proper paces yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSC03385 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

This Jupiter is one of many modifications. I could not determine the version of the lens.

http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?-483601546

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely one of my favs,need to take it on a black and white day out.. Friends

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Tamron Adapt-a-matic 200mm 3.5 (870Au) in nice condition with M42 adapter.