Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
I'm shopping for a Minolta 58mm f/1.2, anyone knows if it's possible that the 2nd version with metallic raised knuckles can have the non radioactive optics and the latest "red/brown" coating reflection (instead of "green/yellow") similarly to the 3rd rubber version?Thanks.

My 58/1.2's give a different coating reflection - earlier (by the SN) version reflects with a blue/purple cast, other, later version - with green. Both are radioactive though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Those Zuiko 1.8/50s are buggers to get open if it's the front half that has the fungus

In F.Zuiko front group can be disassembled, in later Zuiko it is a single piece, AFAIR.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally do not hunt after German stuff, but recently I've picked up a Pentacon 135/2.8, a 15-blade zebra version, and a Picon 100/2.8. The price was just too good to pass it up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
2.5/135? I'm interested to see some samples when you shoot them. Smile

Yes that is the one - Pentax K version of course.
Not here yet but I will post images when I have made them
T

I have both, the K 135/2.5 and the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135/2.5 V2. They have the same opticals. Very nices lenses indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Yes that is the one - Pentax K version of course.
Not here yet but I will post images when I have made them
T

I have both, the K 135/2.5 and the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135/2.5 V2. They have the same opticals. Very nices lenses indeed.

Yes, I have looked for an M42 version for a long time but found that the K mount was usually cheaper.
Both have a good reputation.
T

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
vanylapep wrote:
I'm shopping for a Minolta 58mm f/1.2, anyone knows if it's possible that the 2nd version with metallic raised knuckles can have the non radioactive optics and the latest "red/brown" coating reflection (instead of "green/yellow") similarly to the 3rd rubber version?Thanks.

My 58/1.2's give a different coating reflection - earlier (by the SN) version reflects with a blue/purple cast, other, later version - with green. Both are radioactive though.

There is this collection (credit: Maury Jacks, I believe) to use as a guide to serial numbers but it's not definitive, and neither are Minolta serial numbers unique: http://imgur.com/8RPn7W6

The green coating is the newer application that should appear in MC-I, except a few early production which may still have the Auto-Rokkor coatings, and MC-II lenses. MC-X should all be using a next generation coating similar to MD lenses. So yes, 2nd version lenses are available without yellowed glass. You should ask the buyer to check in case the pictures are unclear.

Last edited by Teemō on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Those Zuiko 1.8/50s are buggers to get open if it's the front half that has the fungus

In F.Zuiko front group can be disassembled, in later Zuiko it is a single piece, AFAIR.

Thanks for that little bit of information.
I will keep that in mind when I am shopping for one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I suppose I have to confess that I have bought a zebra Domiplan 50 / 2.8 Rolling Eyes reputedly the worst lens ever made according to some?

I still haven't given in to the temptation due to that bad reputation. Very Happy
Post some samples and maybe I will change my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
Gardener wrote:
vanylapep wrote:

There is this collection (credit: Maury Jacks, I believe) to use as a guide to serial numbers but it's not definitive, and neither are Minolta serial numbers unique: http://imgur.com/8RPn7W6

The green coating is the newer application that should appear in MC-I, except a few early production which may still have the Auto-Rokkor coatings, and MC-II lenses. MC-X should all be using a next generation coating similar to MD lenses. So yes, 2nd version lenses are available without yellowed glass. You should ask the buyer to check in case the pictures are unclear.

Thanks. Did you mean that the yellow/purple tint is the earlier coating and the yellow/green is the later coating? Which is the better coating?

#1 yellow/purple (earlier?)

#2 yellow/green (later?)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the serie number 250.... looks like earlier than 256.... so it may be the other way round (?)
My 58mm 1.2 is also a 256.... and has colours purple, pink/orange and green when I looked at it this afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yellow/green coating, second example, is the later coating. Minolta constantly developed their multicoating and applied the new formulation mid-production, so I wouldn't have expected to see an MC-II lens with what appears to be the Auto-Rokkor coating, but it's possible that the radioactivity of the lens has made the coating/glass the amber colour as in your first example.

Look at most other Minolta lenses in the period and they have a green coating on the front, except some of the wide angles which use different colours entirely, and often don't have a great flare resistance. Remember that a primary goal of Minolta was to make their lenses colour balanced and colour consistent through the multicoating. So the fact that some reflection colours may be different doesn't necessarily mean one lens of the same model is inferior to another - it just means the production materials changed, but we should assume it is designed to give the same performance as other production lenses. That, or the coating/glass/adhesives went yellow from the radioactivity in your first example.

Either way, I don't think you will notice any difference in performance! At least, no differences have ever been tested.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Topcon Re - auto Topcor 35mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Just received the RE -auto Topcor 35mm f2.8 this morning, seems I good condition, will try it out when there is some reasonable weather. Win it on eBay for £72 including £13 p&p.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
The yellow/green coating, second example, is the later coating. Minolta constantly developed their multicoating and applied the new formulation mid-production, so I wouldn't have expected to see an MC-II lens with what appears to be the Auto-Rokkor coating, but it's possible that the radioactivity of the lens has made the coating/glass the amber colour as in your first example.

Look at most other Minolta lenses in the period and they have a green coating on the front, except some of the wide angles which use different colours entirely, and often don't have a great flare resistance. Remember that a primary goal of Minolta was to make their lenses colour balanced and colour consistent through the multicoating. So the fact that some reflection colours may be different doesn't necessarily mean one lens of the same model is inferior to another - it just means the production materials changed, but we should assume it is designed to give the same performance as other production lenses. That, or the coating/glass/adhesives went yellow from the radioactivity in your first example.

Either way, I don't think you will notice any difference in performance! At least, no differences have ever been tested.

Thanks for the useful info!

It's still funny as the latest 3rd version have the more amber coating it seems rather than the yellow/green.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these ERA lenses have any resale value? I was offered Mint ERA-15, but from it's specs, it appeared to me as generic large format camera lens, so I didn't pay any attention to it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Topcon Re - auto Topcor 35mm f2.8 Reply with quote

melmount wrote:
Just received the RE -auto Topcor 35mm f2.8 this morning, seems I good condition, will try it out when there is some reasonable weather. Win it on eBay for £72 including £13 p&p.

Congrats, one of my favourite 35s and one of the best imho.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Topcon Re - auto Topcor 35mm f2.8 Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
melmount wrote:

Congrats, one of my favourite 35s and one of the best imho.

Now just made me wanna buy one!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

Thanks for the useful info!

It's still funny as the latest 3rd version have the more amber coating it seems rather than the yellow/green.

Well, you do have to judge them under the same lighting too. There are a few examples of the 3rd version which show green: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8370/8460413007_948c1eab35_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5492/12195726706_0d8aee5ab3_b.jpg

For all I know the difference in colour may even be due to the storage conditions of the lens during its lifetime. Heat/light/humidity...
I just checked my lenses under a compact fluorescent ceiling light (so the front element of the lens is vertical towards the ceiling and I look down onto the lens at an opposite angle) and here's what I saw for the first two coatings (front of first element and front of 2nd element) on the front:

MC-I 300/4.5: Green | Peach
    MC-X 200/4.0: Green | Purple
    AR-II 135/2.8 Light Pink | Light Yellow
    MC-X 135/2.8: [4/4] Green | Purple (rear of first element is peach)

MC-I 100/2.0 Purple | Yellow (and I have seen quite a few examples of the same lens online with a green coating on the front) - Mine appears to have a low serial number but in reality this is not really true, as with totally amber coating and a slightly later serial with green front coating... but mine still has a 'later' serial than both lenses yet has a coating that appears to be somewhere in between...

MC-I 58/1.4: Green | Yellow (rear of first element is pink-peach)
    I have a second copy of this lens where the primary Green is much weaker but all the secondary coating colours are more saturated, the pink-peach is actually a strong pink-purple.
    MC-II 55/1.7: Green | Orange (rear of first element is pink-peach)
    MC-X 50/1.4: Green | Orange
    MC-I 35/1.8: Pink-Peach | a bit of a rainbow but dominated by purple/violet
    MC-X 24/2.8: Purple/Violet | Yellow/Peach - difficult to distinguish because the elements are dense

As another anecdote, I tested the flare/contrast performance of my MC-X 50/1.4 against the MC-I 58/1.4 and the difference was clearly illustrated. The 50mm, with the later coating, had at least a 1 stop advantage with the sun at a low winter afternoon angle in terms of flare and contrast, the flares were far less severe, and flares/reflections were totally gone by F2.8 while they were not gone until F4 on the earlier 58mm. I think that should be a consequence mostly of the lens coatings and not the optical composition (by which the 50mm is more, not less, complex). I should probably compare the 135mm and 100mm lenses too. At least the early 135/2.8 and this 100/2.0 share the same optical formula, but the coatings are not so different in my case. The MC-X should see an obvious improvement but it is only 4 and not 6 elements.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Teemō for the very detailed information. Thank you for taking the time to do some tests. I wouldn't know that coating could have such an impact (according to your 50mm vs 58mm test).

The 58mm 1.2 is pretty expensive so i wanna make sure i'm getting the right one Smile (There's still luck involved).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Fujinon 2/3" B4 mount lens yesterday for 70 yuan RMB. Has anyone tried this type of TV lenses on a digital camera? I will show you an image later. The lens is a zoom lens of 1:1.8/9.5-152mm.

Another one is a very rare Chinese zoom lens made in very limited numbers.I haven't tried it yet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Have just started with this lens.
Some samples here.
Will add more when I get time
T
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1500108.html#1500108

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather just gave me his old S-M-C Takumar 1.8/55, 3.5/28 and 3.5/35 to boost my M42 collection, plus his old Pentax SLR. I guess my lens shelf just got slightly more radioactive.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justin wrote:
My grandfather just gave me his old S-M-C Takumar 1.8/55, 3.5/28 and 3.5/35 to boost my M42 collection, plus his old Pentax SLR. I guess my lens shelf just got slightly more radioactive.

Great lenses all.
You will make wonderful images with these.
T

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a random question, do you prefer buying a lens that has been CLA'd or untouched? Do CLA'd lens lose value?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Just a random question, do you prefer buying a lens that has been CLA'd or untouched? Do CLA'd lens lose value?

Thanks.

Why would anyone value a dud more than a lens in good order?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

Thanks.

Answer nearly as random! Smile

Depends. Do I want lens with no problem? Old rare lens maybe worth more untouched. Seller usual try to recover any cost.

Yes, some lose value.