Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pancolars are excellent performers, too. I had an example of the 1.8 version in "Star Wars" regalia that's one of the sharpest vintage primes I've ever used.

blotafton wrote:
DrBB wrote:
Surprise from delivery guys today Smile got the Pancolar 50mm f2. First impressions - definitely needs CLA (both aperture and focusing are very stiff, almost stuck) but I couldn't resist testing although it felt I would tear the mount apart Smile great colors, great bokeh, great sharpness

It's such a cool design. Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a classic combo...
Praktica FX2 with Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 2.0/58mm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi friends. Here is my latest harvest, with one lens already mentioned earlier on this forum.

Tokina 28-85 constant f4 (everybody say: "The ATX version is better..." I know 😉 ) It's not as big and heavy as most users say. It's M42 and in excellent condition with only a little bit of haze, not significant in practice. I find it to be much sharper WO then expected after reading some reviews. I like the biggish ones and do like that one. Paid $20.

Vivitar 35-85 f2,8. That's my 2nd copy. This one is NAI, the other is in OM mount. I've been looking for that lens for some time, and got that one basically for free. Mechanically it's very good. Cosmetics could have been better, but not too bad. The bigger issue is the rear element , which has obviously not been treated very well (too many small cratches) and there is some significant haze, apparently and hopefully only inside that same rear element. I hope my miracle - mechanic will be able to do something. My previous one basically fell apart when trying to disassemble it.

Elicar 300/5,6. My latest addition to my now 15 mirror lenses. Reviews are generally rather positive and I'm also happy with this one. It's in excellent condition. The pics are a mix of good enough sharpness and contrast (for a mirror lens. / better than Makinon) and now and then an interesting glow which could be used well.

Tamron 350/5,6. Again. I mentioned that one a few weeks ago already. It went back to the seller for a bad alignement and he tried his best. It's better now but not ok. I'll entrust it to my mechanic for one more try, and we'll see. I understand they are not easy to fix and any advice will be very helpful. Please.

That's it for today. Happy shooting everyone Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY wanted to have at least one of the "Nippon Kogaku" Nikkors for no other reason than the look of it (yes, I am aware it is not completely sane). And here it is... Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica 5cm f2 Auto Yashinon (M42)
Pentacon 200mm f4 (Exakta, older 15blade version)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:

The Yashinon is one of my favorites 👍

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazgier wrote:
I REALLY wanted to have at least one of the "Nippon Kogaku" Nikkors for no other reason than the look of it (yes, I am aware it is not completely sane). And here it is... Very Happy

not completely sane here as well! Smile Congrats

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazgier wrote:

Very capable portrait lens in the right hands and lighting situations.
It is fairly well corrected for it's age, and a good all around use normal provided it's stopped down a shade.
I had one and shouldn't have sold it, but I'd rather see it in someone else's hands that will use it.
Your copy looks to be in nice condition.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
DrBB wrote:

Never had one before but read lots of good things about it. We'll see next week

and, yeah, almost forgot - Mir-1, early (003xxx serial, red P) domestic (cyrlic) version

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yashinon is a fantastic little jewel of a lens, with incredibly tight build and some of the most pleasurable haptics you'll ever come across (often needs a CLA, though).

The "edge to edge sharpness" crowd won't like it, as it has a lot of field curvature, and the corners never get fully sharp, but center sharpness is great, bokeh is interesting, there's a ton of pop (microcontrast), and it has a really pleasing cool color rendering.

Just a really, really fun lens to use.

DrBB wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
DrBB wrote:

Never had one before but read lots of good things about it. We'll see next week

and, yeah, almost forgot - Mir-1, early (003xxx serial, red P) domestic (cyrlic) version

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the interesting specs for its era, that Vivitar S1 really doesn't get enough recognition as a bokeh lens. Soap bubbles out the wazoo!

Phalbert wrote:
Vivitar 35-85 f2,8. That's my 2nd copy. This one is NAI, the other is in OM mount. I've been looking for that lens for some time, and got that one basically for free. Mechanically it's very good. Cosmetics could have been better, but not too bad. The bigger issue is the rear element , which has obviously not been treated very well (too many small cratches) and there is some significant haze, apparently and hopefully only inside that same rear element. I hope my miracle - mechanic will be able to do something. My previous one basically fell apart when trying to disassemble it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Takumar 135/2.5 (Version 1) big hunk of glass, weights a ton and seems to be very clean
I'll test it over the weekend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something exotic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it Wollensak? We'd like to know what it is, other than "Something Exotic" Wink Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Is it Wollensak? We'd like to know what it is, other than "Something Exotic" Wink Wink

-D.S.

Yes. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an Olympus OM 200m 5.0 yesterday. Not very exotic, but so far I am pleasantly surprised by how it performs. Weight is an issue for me for health reasons and at 390 grams this one is a lot less heavy than its larger f/4.0 sibling. I am going to have to do some walking around with it one of these days (weather forecast has rain for this afternoon) but the test pics I took this morning (and right now the sun is indeed out) look very promising.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of coverage do you get on APS-C? By my calculations, this is about a 45mm, so hopefully pretty close to the entire frame?

calvin83 wrote:
something exotic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
What kind of coverage do you get on APS-C? By my calculations, this is about a 45mm, so hopefully pretty close to the entire frame?

calvin83 wrote:
something exotic

Yes. Nearly cover full frame if remount on a new helicoid.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest acquisition was actually a re-purchase; I used to have a Pentax SMC Takumar 28/3.5, which I sold quite some time ago.

A few days ago, I stumbled upon an affordable Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28/3.5.

First impressions are that it is sharper than the Kiron made 28/2.5 I still had (both compared at f/4), but that the Takumar has slightly more CA. Which is in line with what I remembered. The difference is that I now understand how to remove the green/purple shift, if I want (which I didn't know back then).

All in all a good lens for not much more than €60 (lens plus shipping). I have used it on my Fujifilm X-T1 so far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 28 is one of my faves in the Takumar line. One of the first lenses I think of when people talk about a "painterly" look. Used right, it can make landscapes look like 19th Century Romanticist oils.

eeyore_nl wrote:
My latest acquisition was actually a re-purchase; I used to have a Pentax SMC Takumar 28/3.5, which I sold quite some time ago.

A few days ago, I stumbled upon an affordable Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28/3.5.

First impressions are that it is sharper than the Kiron made 28/2.5 I still had (both compared at f/4), but that the Takumar has slightly more CA. Which is in line with what I remembered. The difference is that I now understand how to remove the green/purple shift, if I want (which I didn't know back then).

All in all a good lens for not much more than €60 (lens plus shipping). I have used it on my Fujifilm X-T1 so far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
That 28 is one of my faves in the Takumar line. One of the first lenses I think of when people talk about a "painterly" look. Used right, it can make landscapes look like 19th Century Romanticist oils.

My favorite is the SMC Takumar 35/3.5, also because the focal width on APS-C works well for me (the otherwise excellent 55/1.8 is slightly too long for me).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An rare industrial lens covers full frame without vignetting. It is probably made by Schneider. I can only get it focus to about 50cm now with the current set-up.

Bokeh balls.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:

eeyore_nl wrote:

I would like to get that painterly look from c/y 28mm Zeiss or FDn 28mm both 2.8 . Would it be possible to get those results by lens settings(FF user) or edition?
I know there are some lenses that might do better than other for their own character etc, but how these 2 lenses would qualify to get that look?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this quite nice Arco Tele Colinar 135mm F/3.8 in an early chromed brass version. It had quite bad haze, but it was on the front surface of the doublet behind the front element, and wiped off very easily, so that was a happy story. I took a couple of test shots but haven't checked them yet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina 135mm f2.8 RMC Tele-Auto
Helios-44 (silver, 13 blade version)