Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the best ~75-150mm zoom lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I'm about to get a 70-150 or 70-210 ,if they are about the same size and quality. The MD 70-150 version I don't see it at all, Canon 70-150 it's about 20 euros , what should I get? Better stick to my 135 and 200 primes? Many times they are limiting taking some shots (I know I can always crop .... but that's not the same)

The Canon FDn is very good, and usually cheap.
It should not disappoint
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ,thanks I'll give it a try, I really appreciate that it's got the hood in the body and that's a plus. Wonder if it's easy to focus on Sony A7II,wouldn't be to large? Weight isn't it an issue for me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I only use film and my Vivitar 2t 75-150 is very good especially on close ups and my Pentax 75-150 I have no complaints....my thinking is why bother with a shoot out for which is the best zoom for pixel peeping when I happy with the film results.
Maybe the 75-150 range is like say 135mm or 50 mm lenses in that it's easier to pick a crap one than choose a winner.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well I only use film and my Vivitar 2t 75-150 is very good especially on close ups and my Pentax 75-150 I have no complaints....my thinking is why bother with a shoot out for which is the best zoom for pixel peeping when I happy with the film results.
Maybe the 75-150 range is like say 135mm or 50 mm lenses in that it's easier to pick a crap one than choose a winner.

Yes there are many very good ones in this modest range.
I just might mention that even the early Super Komura Uni-Auto Zoom 75-150 mm f/ 4.5 lens is worth a look.
http://forum.mflenses.com/komura-75-150-4-5-uni-auto-zoom-first-komura-zoom-t17176.html
Quite large, but excellent optically with a lovely warm tone
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Ok ,thanks I'll give it a try, I really appreciate that it's got the hood in the body and that's a plus. Wonder if it's easy to focus on Sony A7II,wouldn't be to large? Weight isn't it an issue for me

In the opening post you can see a list of lens size and weight. The Tamron Adaptall-2 70-150mm f/3.5 20A (actually F4) seems to be the shortest one with less than 10cm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used the one ring push pull and focus zoom , and I don't plan to be using a tripod ,is it easy to get good focus with such a lens? Or better to get the 2ring one like Olympus or others ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether push-pull or 2-ring, I think it's all what you're used to. When I first got interested in "real" photography back in 1982, my first zoom was a push pull. As was my second. My third was a 2-ring, and I recall it took quite a while getting used to having to remember to use the 2 rings, each for what it was intended. For my fourth zoom, I went back to a push-pull and found it more convenient.

Nowadays, so many people are coming from the AF ranks, where almost all zooms are 2-ring, so they're having just the opposite problems I had. These days, I'm pretty much used to both designs and I don't really have a problem with either anymore. So my preference now is toward lens quality more than lens design.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying my doubt. In fact, there are way more push pull zooms to choose from , so right now I've found a Panagor PMC (red letters) Auto Tele zoom 80-200 Macro 4.5 55m filter and s.n.81....(6 numbers in total) Wich it's in pristine shape ,wonder if it's worth the try for the macro option ,or should I stick with the Canon 70-150? A little bit more weight ain't a problem for me, as long as the results of the lens are worth it. Does anyone have experience with this Panagor (probably Polar maker,as by vivitars s.n.)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Thanks for clarifying my doubt. In fact, there are way more push pull zooms to choose from , so right now I've found a Panagor PMC (red letters) Auto Tele zoom 80-200 Macro 4.5 55m filter and s.n.81....(6 numbers in total) Wich it's in pristine shape ,wonder if it's worth the try for the macro option ,or should I stick with the Canon 70-150? A little bit more weight ain't a problem for me, as long as the results of the lens are worth it. Does anyone have experience with this Panagor (probably Polar maker,as by vivitars s.n.)?

Panagor doesn't have the same serial number conventions as Vivitar. So you can't tell the manufacturer from it. Panagor made a lot of zooms. Not al good. If you can identify it by looking at a corresponding vivitar. Either Kino or Komine should be decent to good. 22 or 28 serial.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
kiddo wrote:

In the opening post you can see a list of lens size and weight. The Tamron Adaptall-2 70-150mm f/3.5 20A (actually F4) seems to be the shortest one with less than 10cm.

I just got the Tamron 20a and compared it with the Vivitar. The Vivitar is shorter and doesn't extend when zooming. It weighs 439 grams (Pentax K-mount) The Tamron weighs 504 grams (Nikon F-mount).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon nFD 70/150.

VERY good lens. At 150 mm is sharp with a lot of details.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Canon nFD 70/150.

VERY good lens. At 150 mm is sharp with a lot of details.

Yes, this lens is a gem.
Surprisingly it is still very cheap.

Tom Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again it is quite long and not the brightest option.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Then again it is quite long and not the brightest option.

I would agree with you if I was shooting film with it.
Most people who adapt this lens will be adding it to a mirrorless camera, and Electronic viewfinders and High ISO make them easy to use and as bright as one would wish.
The original post was from Boris and he had listed a collection of zooms that he was considering.
The one he found the best for personal use was the Minolta MD 75-150/4 - almost the same as the Canon.
It is of course harder to find, and not as cheap.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
kiddo wrote:

I just got the Tamron 20a and compared it with the Vivitar. The Vivitar is shorter and doesn't extend when zooming. It weighs 439 grams (Pentax K-mount) The Tamron weighs 504 grams (Nikon F-mount).

Who made the Vivitar?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can add one more I just pulled the trigger on. Although it is the same focal range it is not really the same category. A compact alternative to 70-200 range zooms. It is really for my Takumar collection.

Super-Takumar Zoom 70-150mm F4.5 - 14 elements - 6 blades - MFD 3.5 meters (1.9 with attachment lens) - L 224m D 74.5mm Weight 1209 grams.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

Who made the Vivitar?

Kino precision (AKA Kiron)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Who made the Vivitar?

Thank you. I forgot to ask, how do they compare?
I have the same Tamron as you by-the-way.
I also have the Canon nFD 4.5 70-150mm.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Who made the Vivitar?

Thank you. I forgot to ask, how do they compare?
I have the same Tamron as you by-the-way.
I also have the Canon nFD 4.5 70-150mm.

I still have to compare as I am buying too many lenses.... The Tamron is a bit soft wide open at 150mm and closer focussing but I think that goes for the Vivitar as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparison of smallest and largest 70-150mm I know of. Vivitar vs Takumar:
Super-Takumar-Zoom 70-150mm 1:4.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Shocked . I wonder how they ended up with it being so big.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was their first zoom. Probably aimed at pro's so they didn't want to make many compromises IQ wise (I hope Wink )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I'm looking further to buy a 75-150/200 zoom and can't decide , rokkor 75-150 almost impossible to reach nowadays , mamiya ze 75-150/200 no info about it , Canon nFD 70-200 might be the easiest to find , but CA consistent. So, could you guys help me to decide ? Thanks

I have tested a few vintage zooms in the 75-150mm range - side-by-side on 24 MP FF Sony A7II. Always looking at "sharpness" in the infinity range, and at the short as well as the medium and the long focal lengths.

Canon nFD 4.5/70-150mm: similar excellent image quality as the Minolta; larger and slightly slower, MFD 1.5m. One-ring zoom. Built-in hood. Prone to fogging!! Recommended for landscapes.

Konica AR 4/75-150mm: As good as Minolta/Canon at 75mm and 100mm, but worse at 150mm (more CAs). Smallest of the bunch. Best MFD at 0.8m! Built-in hood.

Mamiya Sekor E 3.8/70-150mm: not tested extensively; corner resolution a bit below the Canon and the Minolta, slightly larger than Minolta (same size as Nikon); MFD 1.0m. One-ring zoom. Built-in hood.

Minolta MD 4/75-150mm: similar excellent image quality as the Canon, small and lightweight; slightly faster than Canon, MFD 1.2m. One-ring zoom. No built-in hood. Recommended for landscapes.

Nikon E 3.5/75-150mm: less corner resolution than Canon/Minolta; less contrast wide open. Slightly larger than Minolta (same size as Mamiya); one stop faster than Canon, MFD 1.0m. One-ring zoom. No built-in hood. Recommended for portrait (f3.5, MFD of 1m, lower contrast).

Olympus Zuiko OM 4/75-150mm: same small size as Minolta. lowest resolution by far (really bad; two copies of the lens tested). Two-ring zoom. Built-in hood. Not recommended for landscapes.

Stephan

from left to right: Konica AR 4/70-150mm, Minolta MD 4/75-150mm, Olympus Zuikon OM 4/75-150mm, Mamyia Sekor E 3.8/70-150mm, Nikon E 3.5/75-150mm, Canon nFD 4.5/70-150mm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steve, do you know anything about mamiya ze 70-150/200 zooms? They seem pretty small and light, besides, theirs primes seem pretty nice also, but not much info regarding ze zooms . And they are also cheap,just like nFD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Thank you Steve, do you know anything about mamiya ze 70-150/200 zooms? They seem pretty small and light, besides, theirs primes seem pretty nice also, but not much info regarding ze zooms . And they are also cheap,just like nFD

I have re-tested the six lenses mentioned above at f=70mm (75mm), f=100mm and f=150mm. Infinity range, both wide open and at f11. That gives a quite good overview if you intend to use one of these zooms for landscapes. Images will be published probably tomorrow.

Short summary from this new test (24 MP FF as usual):

1) Minolta is excellent both wide open and stopped down to f11
2) Wide open, the Canon and Konica are slightly inferior, especially at f=100mm (Canon) and f=150mm (Konica); stopped down they are very good
3) Mamiya is excellent at f=70mm; wide open it slightly behind the Minolta both at f=100mm as well as at f=150mm; stopped down it is excellent. Wide open at f=150mm, the center has a lower constrast (good for portrait).
4) Wide open, the Nikon has softer corners at all three focal lengths; stopped down it is excellent. Wide open at f=150mm, the center has a slightly lower constrast (good for portrait) and some longitudinal CAs.
5) The Olympus is abysmal. Wide open, there's no way to get a sharp center at any focal length (!!); the corners are quite bad even at f11.

I have tested three sample of the Olympus, all with disgusting (though differing!) results. Two of those copies are still in my possession - an earlier "chrome nose" and a later "black nose". Unless I was extremely unlucky to get three bad samples in a row (which seems highly unlikely), the Olympus simply was a grossly inferior construction.

S